The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Rimadyl side-effect?

Default Rimadyl side-effect?

My 9-year-old male Labrador has been on Rimadyl chewable, 1 tab of 75 mg/day since November Week 2. This after 2-week test run followed by blood test which was normal, which I understand is the usual protocol to ensure that it will be well tolerated. Early on, all was well; it appears to be easing his arthritis aches and pains.

About 2-3 weeks ago (when the weather here was remarkably mild and relentlessly wet) his nose started to turn gray and crack to the point of bleeding. The weather's dry and cold now, but that has only been since Saturday - - the nose condition was well established before this recent cold snap. There is no change in his kennel, crate, habits etc. No change in laundry soap to wash bedding. Nothing that I can think of...

What gives? I have had all 3 colors of Labradors in Alaska, Maine, Texas & Washington climates and have seen all sorts of nose color changes - seasonal and age-related. I have never seen anything as extreme as this. Of course anything that I could apply externally would be licked off in a flash.

Anyone seen *anything* like this in association with Rimadyl?
    Jane Hewitt

"There's no reason to slide in the ditch unless you absolutely have to..."

Waterspook Otter Be Good M.H.
    CJ's Duckshack Legacy M.H.

Kristie Wilder

sounds like an allergic reaction, fungal infection or bacterial infection.

I cannot imagine that being a result of the rimadyl.

Either way, hope he feels better soon. I'd say it's worth a trip to the vet. I can't imagine it's not painful.

-K

Banned

My 16 old Labrador was on Rimydal for almost four years. He died a couple of months ago, but he had no ill effects and I am convinced without taking the drug, his quality of life would have been greatly diminished.

I've looked at the FDA Adverse Drug Experience (ADE) reports for carprofen (Rimadyl) (http://www.fda.gov/cvm/Documents/ade_web_rpts_AC.pdf). There are nearly 15,000 reports to date. Upon a cursory review, the only ones that I saw (dry skin and skin sloughing off, etc) were really far down the list. Unfortunately they don't tell you the prevelence of a particular condition any more ...just that it's been reported. Where it is shown however is a clue to the frequency the condition has been reported. With these, their placement on the list indicates they are relatively rare.

I'd guess it is something else.

Eric

Thank you for the responses! I was going for the most obvious/simplest explanation first and will start examining/eliminating other possible causes. It does look a little better today, but as Kristi stated, it must be uncomfortable if not painful.

I will let you all know if I come up with a solution...
    Jane Hewitt

"There's no reason to slide in the ditch unless you absolutely have to..."

Waterspook Otter Be Good M.H.
    CJ's Duckshack Legacy M.H.

Try a zinc tablet (50 mg) every day. Zinc improves coat, skin and pads-might help whatever is making his nose crack. It won't be an instant fix-but zinc is one of the things the body uses to heal, so it can't hurt, and it's cheap.
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.