RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

How long to stay on CC????

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  John Lash 
#1 ·
Just wondering how long people usually spend teaching sit, heel, and hear on CC???

I've never done this before and my dog seems to respond really well after 2 or 3 sessions but I want to make sure that he really has got it before I move on, or is this something that you come back to and review on a regular basis?

#2 ·
That depends on several things, including which system you're following. How well this dog has been manually prepared prior to CC, the termperament of the dog, and so on, all factor in.

Evan

#3 ·
I know it depends on several factors, but I'm looking for general guidelines.

My dog is 11 months old, has been thru FF, Basic OB, Stick Pressure etc. I've been following the Danny Farmer Basic Foundations DVD's and did FF before starting the CC. The dog is great on basic OB, FF and is very mature and biddable and seems to be handling the CC well.

I just don't want to rush thru this portion of his training. He seems to pick things up well and is responding reliably after 3 or 4 sessions but is this enough or do I need to stay with it for several days just to make sure it is firmly ingrained? Do you go back and review this regularly or only if you run into problems?

Never having CC a dog before I'm looking for basic guidelines. I feel the dog understands collar pressure so do I move on or do you keep at it for several more sessions just to make sure I don't need to re-visit it later?

#4 ·
great question,i was thinking about cc to and had some couristy spring about.for exapmle in evans system i belive he would consider cc for basic obedince to be a part of forcing. you would teach the action to the command which you've already done.and now were using force to solidfyed the command.only the dog can tell you if the command is solidfyed.but i to am courious on what we are trying to achive,because most of what i have heard and read,say you dont need to spen alot of time one this "usually just a couple of sesions". but for example if i teach my dog not to go through the open door before i do.and then i begin to force it after i have taught it,its usally more the just a couple of sessions before i am done forcing,or moving onto enforcing. i know its a different action,and a different command.but i still ask myself,what do i really achieve in "just a couple of sessions".is this just a basic reference manually for the dog,or is something solidly engraind here.is just a basic reference enough to be clear for the dog?
any replys would be insightful.thanks,
rodney

#5 ·
As long as we are on this subject, my earlier reading and training taught me to burn, say command and continue to burn until the dog begins to obey the command with leash help. Now it seems that there is opposite advice going around that says say command then burn.
Are both ways being used now? How are you doing it and why?

#6 ·
If I recall Lardy's video correctly, you start CC with sit, to make sure you get a stable response to the nick. By starting with heel and nicking the dog, you MAY convince the dog that movement away from the spot of the foul is what you want. I've don it both ways and prefer the use of sit as the first command to be enforced electronically.

#10 ·
Ken;
You're thru CC in 8 to 10 days.Someone told me the Lardy manual says 3 weeks although I don't have it, that seems a little long to me but that's why I asked the question.
Do I keep at it for another couple of weeks to try and perfect my dogs responses or do I move on once I feel my dog understands it's another form of pressure.

I think this is a fairly important concept for the dog to understand and I don't want to leave it too early and never having done it before I just wanted some opinions from people that have done it before.

#11 ·
Ken;
You're thru CC in 8 to 10 days.Someone told me the Lardy manual says 3 weeks although I don't have it, that seems a little long to me but that's why I asked the question.
yes I am done collar conditioning in 8-10 days. working the dog every day just like the Mike Lardy tape. In that time the dog realizes the "electric stimulation" for what it is, not a random act from on high. Has it replace the heeling stick for sit. And then here. and then a mix of sit and here. Then replacing voice commands with whistle commands. Dog it conditioned. Now this does not imply in any way that the freshly conditioned dog, when running full speed to a 200 yard mark will sit on the whistle and stop! It will not.
But you now may start using the collar instead of the stick at the truck, at the line. Sit, here and heel. Just because a dog is collar conditioned does not mean it is ready for field corrections. Those come it time in a well thought program in it's natural progression. Lardy, Lardy Lardy! :)
Myself, I have spent the last week working on my
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesy lefsss :)

#12 ·
Originally Posted by brandywinelabs
As long as we are on this subject, my earlier reading and training taught me to burn, say command and continue to burn until the dog begins to obey the command with leash help.

I would agree.

"Sit"-"Burn" hold for 3 seconds, make your dog sit and take the burn.
Sounds cruel, and it is, but it may save your dog's life someday, let alone your dog realizing when he's 150 yards away running towards a hiway and you whistle "sit" he responds.

It is what it is.

#14 ·
Stephen,

This

"...say command and continue to burn until the dog begins to obey the command..."

and this

""Sit"-"Burn" hold for 3 seconds, make your dog sit and take the burn."

are 2 different methods. The first one is burning animal into compliance with the expectation that at some juncture the dog knows either how to turn off pressure or avoid pressure. The second is conditioning dog to a reinforcement pressure. Like Dobbs/TT V. Lardy for lack of better comparison.

#15 ·
If your CC isn't done properly I am sure you will see that as your training progresses. Which is the test or proof that it was done properly. If it wasn't done right you'll have to do it over.

John Lash

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.