RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Shotguns what's your choice GDG

11K views 91 replies 79 participants last post by  DDanielson 
#1 ·
What do you prefer, O/U, Semi, Pump?
Personally my favorite is my CZ Redhead,
followed by a hard to beat Benelli, Super Nova Pump.
some circumstances it is tough to choose though.
Semi, just seems to make me a worse shot than I am allready.

#3 ·
For duck hunting I love my Benelli Nova Pump. You can't hurt that thing. I think you could paddle the boat with it. ;)
Upland hunting I favor double barrels. I have a Winchester model 24 that wouldn't sell for a million dollars. :D

#51 ·
I guess I'm just a fake man, then, because I shoot a Benelli M1 for all birds. Shot a Rem 1100 for 20yrs before that and a Winchester model 12 pump before that.

And oh by the way, my chessy doesn't have any desire to be a lab of any color and I also do much better without the black hair all over the house!;)

BHB

#6 ·
Remington 870 for waterfowl

Remington 1100 skeet doubles

Remington 3200 tubed 20,28,410 for skeet

Beretta 20 ga 687 gold EL...showing off gun (kicks like a mule)

#11 ·
Beretta 391 Urika sporting in 20 ga for upland.

the same in 12 for waterfowl.

My Favorite gun however, is a 1940ish Winchester Model 21 SXS 12 ga.
Harder and Harder to find waterfowl loads that I can shoot in it.

Gooser

#12 ·
I was always a pump guy for waterfowl and a double guy for upland. Then I picked up a Benelli SBE about ten years ago and now use it for just about everything. It is light enough to carry all day and reliable enough to shoot in all conditions.

#17 ·
I have several but my favorites are: Benelli SBE and Beretta 390 for waterfowl, Remington 1100 LT 20 for upland, Browning A5 LT 12 for doves. 870 is good for everything.

#18 ·
Browning A-5, light 12 with a 22" invectorchoke factory barrel, I bought it new in 82, had it parkerized a couple years later. pretty much keep the modified choke in regardless of what I'm hunting. I'd hate to think of the day I might have to hunt with a diffferent gun.

#25 ·
That is the best shooting shotgun I've ever shot. I own one and love it! It was bought for my girlfriend to shoot and she handles it very well also. Light and fits perfect.

I won't shoot it in the blind. Too nice to risk it. I use the old tried and true Beretta Extrema 2. With how reliable and soft shooting the new automatics are, there's no reson to shoot a pump.

#22 ·
Beretta Xtrema 2 for waterfowl
Beretta 686 O/U Sporting for upland and clays

Both in 12. I'm a MUCH better shot with the O/U.

The recoil of the Xtrema is so light that i don't have much confidence in it. It feels like i'm throwing marshmellows at the birds, when i need to be throwing bricks. I shot flyers with the Xtrema a lot this trial season and that helped. Shot half a round of sporting clays with it until i started losing to my cousin, then switched to my O/U to catch up.

I have a Beretta Quail Unlimited Special Edition O/U in 28ga that has never been shot. I need to sell it.

SM

#30 ·
Well, I am Old School. Stevens double 311A for upland (goes with the tweed jacket and British lab) and an unbelieveably beat up 870 Wingmaster, 30" full choke for ducks and geese.

#32 ·
stated my wing shooting career wit a mossberg 500. as I got older I decided I needed somthing that would shoot 3.5's and went with the benelli nova, I loved this gun, shot it with a patternmaster long range for doves and a kicks highflyer xfull for waterfowl (not as hard on birds as you might think). I picked up a winchester sx3 this morning and took it out for a little while after divers and tried to pump the damn thing :confused: but so far I like it ordered a kicks xfull for it should be here next week (yeah rite)
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.