The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Lineage?

Default Lineage?

How far back does the lineage really matter on a dogs pedigree. My pup has good dogs in his family but the most impressive .dog is back 4 generations(Rebel with A Cause, highest ranked yellow lab for Field trials back in the early 2000s), I guess it would be his great grandpa. While this is cool and all I would guess the MHs that are closer are more impressive in his pedigree? I am new to all this but I love my 10 week old pup either way but I was just curious?

I'd suggest that you just look at the percent contribution of the ancestors to your dog's overall genetic makeup. At 4 generations back, your dog would receive only 6.25% of his genetic content from that individual ancestor.

4 generations back would be great-great grandparents.

Have fun with your pup! Chris
    Genetic Contribution of Ancestors
    Generation
    % Contribution

It is 3 generations. Sorry! And thank you for the chart!

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman509 View Post
    It is 3 generations. Sorry! And thank you for the chart!
    Sorry, wrong quote.

Matter???
    Really depends on what you want. A fantastic working dog? A great pedigree? An incredible retriever backed by a great pedigree with an equally great bitchline?
    Do you plan on using the dog for hunting/or competition? Are there breedings in the dogs future, etc?
    I've personally owned some pretty nice gun/Hunt test dogs over the past 22 yrs. Most had very nice pedigrees, one did not! The one that didn't, had no competitive dogs in his pedigree whatsoever, but If I just HAD to pick a "money" dog to take hunting. He may just top the list!!!
    Sooooo...depends.

Btw: I've owned nothing but FC sired pups with solid bitchlines since.
    Last edited by David Maddox; 02-02-2013 at 01:45 PM.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

Thanks for the chart Chris, I have often wondered about this myself.
    Wingman, my current 'work in progress' is 18 months old and is third generation Rebel With a Cause as well. He is great to work with and we are both learning more about this game as we progress along. Your pup looks great...enjoy the ride!

The good qualities seem to diminish with time and constant work is required to maintain high quality traits however one bad dog anywhere in the pedigree will seem to haunt you forever.

One bad apple Regards
    Duckworth Retrievers

While pedigree's are important, I feel the trainers ability and knowledge play a bigger role. I have a 2 year old black female lab with no titles in her first 3 generation pedigree. My dog has earned her HRCH and 2 master passes. Yes, after 3 generations there are the great: Cosmo, Mac, Devil, Rebel etc. After we achieve her MH we will dab a little into the field trial world and that's where the pedigree could be the tell, tell sign.
    HRCH "Kennedy" MH

I agree that the trainer is a bigger part too, but at the same time genes are a big deal too. There is a reason you see the siblings of former NBA and NFL players make it in professional sports just like their dads did. I know it is apples to oranges but the right genes do translate into an advantage from the begining but with that being said without desire and training you will go no where! I have turned my lab husky mix dog into a pretty darn good pheasant dog just on her desire and will to find birds. So I beleive it is as much about the dogs will as it is the pedigree but it sure hurt don't being Lebron James's kid opposed to Joe Smoes. That is just my novice thinking I guess lol.