The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battle Lines Being Drawn in Fight Over Fairness Doctrine

Default Battle Lines Being Drawn in Fight Over Fairness Doctrine

A senior advisor to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi told one magazine last year, “Conservative radio is a huge threat and political advantage for Republicans and we have had to find a way to limit it.” Senator Chuck Schumer of New York stated on a live cable news show on Election Day his support for a new Fairness Doctrine so, as he said, we could truly be “fair and balanced” under his definition. Obama’s political confidant, Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois, said, “It’s time to reinstitute the Fairness Doctrine.”

And just this week, Representative Anna Eshoo (D-CA), a prominent member of the House Subcommittee that may take up the Fairness Doctrine next year, said that she wanted to bring it back. “I still believe in it,” Eshoo told the Daily Post in Palo Alto.

Why do they say it’s needed? They claim the federal government must ensure local stations fully cover local news and topics of the day. However, those promoting the new Fairness Doctrine come from the politically correct left, which is incensed that conservative-minded talk show hosts have large ratings, large audiences, and big paychecks.
    This is getting so old, merry HanaChristmaKwanzadan and a happy winter solstice day. And may all of your non-religious specific days be filled with joy, zen, positive energy and happy pills.
    Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

The liberals need it because in the free market of ideas on the air very few folks are buying their bovine scatology, witness the dearth of listeners for Air America in comparison to Rush or Sean or O'Reilly.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

The last time the government got involved in the radio business was with the Telecommunications Act of 1996. Ask any radio broadcaster you know if they like what that Act did to radio.

More government in private business.....haven't we already seen enough of that????

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gutermuth View Post
    The liberals need it because in the free market of ideas on the air very few folks are buying their bovine scatology, witness the dearth of listeners for Air America in comparison to Rush or Sean or O'Reilly.
    I think how people voted is a better indicator of what they believe than what some right wing talk host says.

Quote Originally Posted by cotts135 View Post
    I think how people voted is a better indicator of what they believe than what some right wing talk host says.
    Cool, then call your congressman and tell them you oppose the fairness doctrine.
    Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by cotts135 View Post
    I think how people voted is a better indicator of what they fear than what they believe.

IMHO regards,

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post
    I think how people voted is a better indicator of what they fear than what they believe.

IMHO regards,

"J's RJ's BJ's none of them count....."

Arturo, 12/15/08

kg
    KG…could not agree more with your assessment of the latest election.

Secondly I couldn’t disagree with your signature line more…while Js and RJs are worthless it is apparent the neither you nor Arturo have had a good BJ.

So if they enact it will they make ESPN have commentators on to support the Big12?

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post

The last time the government got involved in the radio business was with the Telecommunications Act of 1996. Ask any radio broadcaster you know if they like what that Act did to radio.

kg
    What a disaster the TeleCom Act of 96 is! Authored by Republicans and signed by Bill Clinton, in an attempt to eliminated competition. What the Republicans don’t understand is that competition is GOOD for business. Consolidation/Deregulation is today’s monopoly!

What the act did was to eliminate tens of thousands of jobs as well as thousands of small businesses. You know those small businesses that are the backbone of our economy. And, it serves those corporate giants well that their stock is now worth a nickel on the dollar!

One person trying to do the job that eight use to do. That’s because the bean counters that now run this industry have very little broadcasting backgrounds. Gone are many of the real broadcasters and pioneers that made programming compelling. Now we have half-ass consultants working for the bean counters, telling them what they want to hear.

Though I have benefited from the TeleCom Act of 96, I wish it would have never happened!

Satellite is no better off. After the merger of XM with Sirius, their stock is at an all time low and their debt won’t be handled by them. People working for the satellite companies that are paying them in stock now want cash because their stock is worthless.

As far as the Fairness Doctrine goes, I think it will never happen. First of all, Conservative Talk Radio appeals to those over 55 years of age. I can’t remember the last big advertiser that wanted to target the over 55 crowd. It is too difficult for any advertising to have any influence on anyone over 55. In fact, the Democrats are better served having folks like Rush, Laura Ingram and Sean Hannity define the Republican party. This past Presidential election was won by those voters under 35 and the Dems know it. Let us not forget how big a role the internet played in this past election. Until the Republicans modify their platform and understand the bigger power of the internet and how that influence minimizes folks like Rush and Sean, they will continue to lose elections.
    Last edited by Franco; 12-22-2008 at 05:14 PM.
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    So if they enact it will they make ESPN have commentators on to support the Big12?
    ESPN and other Sports Broadcasters will show no respect for the Big 12 until they can win a modern day BCS title over an SEC team, which will probably never happen!
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson