RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Electric cars GDG

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Kevin WI 
#1 · (Edited)
See the links below. One is an interview with inventor Bob Albertson. The other is a link to Bob Albertson's website about his trans-electric vehicle.

Bob Albertson has been hired by UAW to convert a gas fueled truck to a totally electric vehicle.

His electric car will have a range of 300 miles on a single 3 hour charge with speeds up to 100 mph and sell for around $30k.

One thing he said is that GM developed a lithium battery (in ?2000) and had a few cars on the road. GM recalled all the cars and crushed them, and then sold the technology to Chevron. A few years later when GM wanted to buy a lithium battery from Chevron, Chevron refused to sell GM the battery unless the car also used fuel.

WCCO interview:
http://www.830wcco.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=3236356

Bob Albertson's website on the trans-electric drive vehicle
http://www.magtransauto.com/about.htm

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
It's all about the batteries. The EV1 that GM built did not have lithium Ion batteries in it they were Nickel-metal Hydirde batteries, NIMH. GM is trying to develop the lithium Ion battery for the Volt. It will be a huge breakthrough in battery technology.

There is a huge difference in these battery technologies. The energy to weight ratio of the lithium Ion battery is 160 watt-hour/kg, whereas the NIMH battery has a ratio of 30-80 watt-hour/kg.

I did design work for the electric drives that powered vehicles leading up to the GM's EV1. I did the work with Hughes Electronics (formerly Hughes Aircraft) coordinating the control and drive characteristics with their designers. The performance was terrific. The battery technology sadly was not there. The performance was so good that some college professors that were at hughes one day were talking about building dragsters with electric drives. No clutch adjustments to control traction in varying conditions, all handled by regulating the torque automatically using electronic controls.

#5 ·
Buzz,

What is the approximate weight of the batteries you worked on? The interview I heard yesterday did not mention weight.

I heard on another program that the battery for an electric car would weigh 500 pounds. Is this right?

I would certainly consider using an electric car for all the short trips around town. Ann

#6 ·
Damn near got run over by an electric car...I didn't hear the engine as I stepped out in front of it at a Walmart parking lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.