The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Famous Person You've met under strange circumstances

Default Most Famous Person You've met under strange circumstances

OK This is a true Story...The Plea to go south and Train/Golf thread reminded me of this...so I thought I would share....
    About 12-15 years ago...My Husband and I took the Children to Destin, FL. for Spring Break. Since my Husband is a Golfing Focused Crazed Man...I knew enough to pack plenty of good reading for myself and games for the Kids. I knew I would be stuck at the Hotel/Pool because Hubby would be taking the Van and Golfing everyday...18-36 holes. Only If I got up early and dropped him off at the golf course of the day...did I have a chance at driving around and sight seeing with the kids...
    About mid week...I got the Van...dropped offHubby and struck out for an adventure with the kids and arranged to pick up My Golfing Guy. It was 4 PM and I was an hour early...so I took the children in the lounge...we all had a coke and waited.....and naturally I had to take a visit to the Ladies Room.
    Down the hall I stepped...quickly around the corner...and WHAM-M I ran into this nice Gray Haired Gentleman...(Who by the way was busy zipping up his pants with his head down) AH-H He said "Excuse ME".and I said..."Oh I'm so sorry"! All the time ...thinking..."Now where have I seen him before"? He looked so familiar????.
    So I went back to our Table in the Lounge...and my Husband comes bouncing up..saying...."Hey...Guess Who's out golfing here"? "I shrugged"...and then Hubby proudly touts...ARNOLD PALMER!!!!.......
    OH..Yeah..I know...I stated... "I just ran into him". Hubby looked at me..and says.."DID You get his Autograph?".....(No...he was zipping up his pants...Did he wash his hands???) I thought????
    No Honey..I really just ran into him...and I thought He looked Familiar...but I didn't think to get his autograph....
    Now the lecture/razzing began...."Holy Cow...Now if that had been Secretariat or Lassie, You would have recognized them".....
    OK...You got me...I could have spotted Secretariat or Lassie at 300 yards, But Arnold..Hum...Nope....
    To this Day...My Husband won't let me live this down.......
    SHR Redstar Herbettabea Pirate- BEA(2 JH Passes at 7 mos)
    Redstar Duck Dynasty Jazztime - PHIL
    www.Redstarkennels.us

I can't really say I "met" this famous person, but I surely will remember the encounter! Years ago before we left on our sailing days, I was working as a "trail guide" for horse trips for tourists on Hilton Head. Our planned trail took us around a huge golf course where at a couple of places you had to cross the golf cart paths. I was riding a big TB mare, and was approaching one of the crossings. Usually, the golf carts just rolled on across. We came around the corner, and a damn cart stopped dead in the path. We were cantering, came around the corner, and had to slam on brakes. (with 20 horses behind me). We made it, stopped and I was ready to raise hell with the idiot for stopping when this incredibly tall guy stepped out of the cart to look at the horse! It was Michael Jordan!!!! He apologized to me for stopping, but he just wanted to see the horses. I sort of back shuffled and said I was sorry for interrupting his game, he got back in the cart and rolled on.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Back in the early eighties when I was in the Marine Corp. We where doing some mountain training in Northern California. One weekend the bussed the whole Battalion to Reno for a three day weekend. One night we got a shuttle to this very nice club outside of town. While inside this big man put his hand on my shoulder and asked if I would mind dancing with his wife. The big man was Leon Spinks who served in the Corp. His brother Michael was about to fight in Reno and Leon was there to support him. We talked for a while. He was a nice guy. And he didnt have his front teeth lol.
    Semper Fi
    Brent Keever
    Geaux Cajuns

Formerly known as: CajunMarineBBK

My buddy was on a pay goose hunt and he finally lost it because the next blind to him was skybusting and calling terrible.He ran over there to curse them out....to find it was Clint Eastwood !!!!!!!!!!!! Yikes........make my day
    Last edited by Jay Dufour; 12-26-2008 at 06:36 PM. Reason: sp

Michael Keaton-we talked about how to say "Demi", as his friend Demi says it differently. I say it the right way, as the french do
    He is short!
    Spike Lee, on a ferry to Martha's Vinyard. He is an interesting person to see, not what I expected.
    I got to say hi to Tiger when he dropped the ball in front of me at the Masters
    And Jack N's sons are very nice looking, as was Tom Watson's Caddy.
    One year a little lady from New York and I sat at Amen corner and looked for the best looking.
    I worked in Vail Colorado in the 80's, so I got to see most of the Bruce Willis crowd then. Most were nice.
    The Prince who was a skier.
    George Clooney-he did a movie here, and is just as hot in person!!! And nice too.
    You know, maybe I will start traveling again. I sort of miss my adventures!
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.

Some time in the late '70s I was in Chicago on business. Eating dinner downtown at a nice place. I was with several other guys. The place was a little dark but enough light to see those seated around us. After we were seated and eating a couple was shown to their table directly across from where I was seated. I knew immediately it was Mohammed Ali. I acted cool, didn't do anything crazy but just mentioned it the guy seated next to me. When I did, Ali heard me & heard the other guy say "I'm not so sure it's him". Ali spoke up so that eveyone at our table could hear, "You don't recognize the most famous person in the world?" I responded "Hi champ" & he came back immediately saying "Who called me champ, I'm not the champ, I'm the chump". He had that serious look on his face, then laughed saying "I scared all you white boys didn't I?" This was within weeks after he had lost to Leon Spinks. Ali's wife seemed frustrated saying to us, she couldn't take him out anywhere that he didn't want attention. We said we'd respect there privacy & left them alone during dinner.

We finished about the time Ali & his wife did & then he came over and sat down at our table. He talked trash for about 15-20 mins when his wife put an end to it, saying she was going home the cab had arrived. He talked about black coffee being the best, a chocolate dip on an icecream cone being best, etc. He didn't want to talk about fighting or Spinks and every time one of us referred to him as the champ, he made that fake serious/mad look saying he was the chump not the champ. But he did say he wouldn't be the chump for long, he'd be the champ again......I did get his autograph. It read "good luck, white boy, Muhammed Ali"
    David Didier, GA

Banned

I'd tell a story about meeting someone famous,,, but no one would believe me...

Angie
    Last edited by Angie B; 12-26-2008 at 07:13 PM.

These may go back too far for some to recognize. When I was a kid, my parents were in Sicily where my father worked with Union Carbide. There were no english speaking schools and few in any other language so my sister and I ended up in Swiss boarding school in Geneva, Switz. I met a number of famous people, but the two strangest encounters were:

- I was 13. I came downstairs in the dorm where I lived and there was a tall, strange man wearing baggy flannel trousers with the fly unbuttoned (no zipper) and a wide rimmed beaver skin cap. He asked if Juan was there. It turned out he was the author and poet Robert Graves visiting his son.

- I was 14 and in the infirmary with chronic bronchitis. I woke up when an older German woman sat on the end of the bed and asked me how I was doing. We talked for a while. The woman was Marlene Dietrich who was visiting her grandson Peter who was also in the infirmary.

There were a number of similar encounters. My 7th grade crush was Yasmin Kahn, better known as the Princess Yasmin Aga Kahn, daughter of Rita Hayworth and the Aga Kahn. Rita came to school fairly often wearing a zoo's worth of fur and a mine's worth of diamonds. Yul Brynner came occasionally to visit his son Rocky. Charlie Chaplin never came to visit his son Michael (whom he had disowned). However, Michael had his own cachet since, in the movie Lawrence of Arabia, he played the kid who shoved the stick up the camel's rear end. It was all heady stuff for a young kid out of East Tennessee.

As an aside, Michael, better known as Michel Ray, went on to become one of the richest men in the world with a net worth in the billions.
    Last edited by YardleyLabs; 12-26-2008 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Note on Michel Ray

Charles Barkley and Marcus Allen in Portland, Ore., at the Rock Bottom Brewery. They had a table a few down from my buddies and I and we all left at the same time. Walked out together, shook hands BS'd as we walked down the street. I've met plenty of pro football players, but Barkley had to have the widest body I've ever seen. Simply huge.

Jeff-my dad worked for Monsanto, then Daniel Construction Company before they were bought. I went to school at a convent in Spain, then a grammar school in England. I wish I remembered more.

PS-how many puppies?
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.