RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Dog question for computer nerds

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Ken Archer 
#1 ·
I have a 19" widescreen monitor on my desktop computer. Pictures of dogs appear to be very distorted, i.e. some sideviews make the dog look as long as a freight train. It is hard enough to see what a dog looks like when you are dealing with a poor photograph. Add this distortion on top of that and it is driving me crazy. Is there some way to correct this on my current computer or do I need to go back to a square monitor?

#2 ·
Are you talking about pictures used as "desktops" or screen savers, or pictures opened in a graphics program? If you're talking about the image used as a desktop, you probably have the option selected for "stretch". This will stretch the image used to fill the entire screen. If the image was sized for a normal screen ratio, it will be distorted by this stretching.

#3 ·
sounds like your resolution is different then the native resolution of the monitor. Do you know what your resolution is set to? most 19" monitors are set to 1280x1024 so if yours is set to something different it will stretch especially if it was something like 1024x768 or something that is for widescreen monitors.

To check resolution right click on your desktop and click display then go over to appearance i think it is in xp and see what the resolution is set to and change to see if that helps

#4 ·
The pictures I'm referring to are on breeder websites. Performance records don't tell me everything I want to know about a dog. I want to know what they look like as well. I've tried all the different resolutions available on this widescreen but I still see obvious distortion. I've even adjusted the horizonal size by compressing it to minimum and leaving black margins on either side of the screen to no avail. Before I plunk down the money for a square screen model, I'd like to exhaust all my options with this one.

#5 ·
Ken,

Do you know what the resolution of your monitor screen is supposed to be? Does that option show up when you set the display characteristics? From your description there are a couple of possibilities. You may need new drivers for your monitor (check the manufacturer's web site). Your graphics card may not support the size and resolution required for your monitor and may be causing the distortion as it tries to compensate. I use a 24" widescreen monitor but I can't use it without an advanced graphics card with at least 512k of video ram.

#6 ·
I run a 19" wide at home and a 24" wide at work and photos come out just fine. You need to check the owners manual on the monitor and find it's native resolution. Then right click on your desktop, click on Graphics Properties, then Display Settings, and set the resolution to the native setting for your monitor.

#7 ·
The native resolution on an LCD screen is always the highest available. My pics will do the same thing when I take pictures even with my digital SLR holy hella expensive camera. It is a resolution issue-whether the screen or the picture. If you have a video card, not just onboard video built into the motherboard, you may want to make sure that the drivers are installed. To do that, right click on MY COMPUTER, choose the option MANAGE, in the left hand column, click on DEVICE MANAGER. Under the option DISPLAY ADAPTERS, does it have a yellow question mark? If so, your drivers are needed to be installed for you card.

Also check under the option MONITORS. If it says GENERIC, you may need to install the drivers for you screen.

#8 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. My desktop has a few years on it and has been upgrade several times.....except for the video card. The native resolution of the monitor is 1440 X 900. Sound familiar Terrie? Unfortunately the video card does not support 1440 x 900. A new video card later and we are in good shape. Thanks again to everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.