The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: keeping calm in the blind

Default keeping calm in the blind

Anyone have and training tips for keeping a dog calm in the blind while hunting. He gets really excited when he sees birds or if I call. He gets whiny and he will stand up. He doesn't bolt out of the blind but I constantly have to tell him to sit. I'm going to start using my duck/goose calls while throwing marks and using the bumper launcher. I didn't think to do that before. I'm hoping he will get better as he goes on more hunts and or gets older but I'm not sure he will. Basically an obedience issue but it's impossible to recreate the live bird senario at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad n Drake View Post
    Anyone have and training tips for keeping a dog calm in the blind while hunting. He gets really excited when he sees birds or if I call. He gets whiny and he will stand up. He doesn't bolt out of the blind but I constantly have to tell him to sit. I'm going to start using my duck/goose calls while throwing marks and using the bumper launcher. I didn't think to do that before. I'm hoping he will get better as he goes on more hunts and or gets older but I'm not sure he will. Basically an obedience issue but it's impossible to recreate the live bird senario at home.
    You're right, it is. Do you have a hunting buddy who can do a majority of the calling and shooting, while you pay more attention to your dog's standards? That would be best until he's had a full season to support his good standards in that environment.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Hi Brad,

Not an expert on this and it's not something my pro has covered. However, I rarely see or hear people talk about training for this. The focus is all on marks, blinds, handling, etc. I've started going out and sitting in one of my favorite duck spots and making my pup sit next to me. I start out with a 5 minute sit and gradually increase the time he has to sit for each session. Then, when he has been calm for a few minutes, I up the excitement by calling now and again, waiting till he calms between each time I call. Occasionally I throw in a "here they come!" and throw a bumper, again waiting until the dog calms each time before I yell and throw. When he can sit calmly through all this I will bring my starter pistol and up the ante again.

I am focusing on good blind/line manners more than on marks right now. Pup is just a year old and just starting to be mature enough for me to think about hunting him with a partner to gun for me.

Be interested to hear how others train for calmness in the blind.
    Jo Ann
    Connecticut

Luckily I live ten minutes form the lake we hunt at a lot so I can train him at the spots he will be hunting. I mostly hunt by myself and I don't want to annoy my friends with a whiny pup. We have spent little to no time sitting at the waters edge. It's always go go go when training so I can't blame him for his lack of patience. He's never had to sit still for an hour waiting for a retrieve. I will add it to my training routine. Thanks. The reason it was so bad today is because the transmitter on my tritronics g3 broke so I had no nicks to correct him.

not sure if it will help you but some times when i watch television, or do homework I just make my dog sit at heal next to me for 15-20mins at a time and I make her sit quietly, I understand that this is different from a hunting situation but it seems to transfer very well into the field, for me at least. if you can make them do it at home with the usuall distractions especially with out the collar then they seem to understand that even when the collar is not working your still the boss.
    just my thoughts
    jim

Luckily I live ten minutes form the lake we hunt at a lot so I can train him at the spots he will be hunting. I mostly hunt by myself and I don't want to annoy my friends with a whiny pup.
    You make a great case for going with your friends. Let them hunt while you make sure ol' whiney shuts up and settles down! That's the point of doing it that way.

Make corporal corrections for the noise, rather than e-collar. It tends to work better, anyway. I didn't coin this phrase, but I sure use it a lot; If you can't train a dog without an e-collar, you won't be able to train a dog with one, either.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Brad, not sure where you are located but if you can find a HRC club to join and train with. The focus of HRC is the closest to real hunting situations you can find and will allow you to work on skills like these with your pup....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"