The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FF-Slow to Fetch

Default FF-Slow to Fetch

Background: 7mo CLF--Strong OB--Holds well

I have been FF'ing Tuesday for close to two months, during that time frame we have been through ~30 15 min sessions. Eye level at all distances she will fetch the bumper out of my hand, but she is slow to fetch, not much "pep." Light, moderate and higher levels of stimulus (ear pinch) have no effect on her speed to the bumper at any distance.

To test her understanding of the "fetch" command, I lowered 2-3'' below her mouth and she will lower her head to get it. This confirms that she understands the command.

Her demeanor is upbeat throughout the session and we finish with hold/heel.

Suggestions/Comments?

-Ryan
    4x4grace.com
    Mark 8:36

Senior Member Paragon Retrievers's Avatar

Are you following a program? How is your praise?
    Start moving the bumper closer to the ground, until she is picking it up off the ground. After two months you should on the ground and starting to move the bumper away from her.
    Bird Dog Creedo:
    If I like it, it's mine. If it's in my mouth, it's mine. If I can take ot from you, it's mine. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine. If I'm chewing something up, all the pieces are mine. If it just looks like mine, it's mine. If I saw it 1st, it's mine. If you are playing with something and you put it down, it automatically becomes mine. If it's broken, it's yours.

Home of:
    SHR Drakeland's Thunder in the Marsh "Thor"
    SHR Paragons Marsh Royalty "Princess"

I've been doing FF for about 3wks and making SLOW progress(7 mos YLM)--Dog is quick on all OB stuff etc-I do 2 -5 min sessions every day-He will now open his mouth on fetch-take the dumbell, bumper, or paint roller and hold ok but if I have him move forward he tends to drop it-will not pick one up from ground yet and later in shop( while I mess around) he will bound across floor-pick up anything there,and bring to hand?????
    He knows exactly what he should do as if he's slow and I put hand near his ear-he opens imediately. He loved to retrieve before FF but would only bring dummy to me and then drop it--I will perservere but it's a longer process with this guy than any of my other labs.

I used SmartFetch DVDs to help me along (and a few posts on RTF from Evan).

My pup didn't have quite the pep I wanted. I turned up the pressure a bit on the e-collar and that seemed to work. I only started using e-collar pressure once my dog understood the fetch command and would fetch bumpers from the ground (although slowly).

Is your dog picking up items from the ground? What about from above its head? To the side? Without your hand touching the bumper?
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

my lab lacked some pep during ff but she did everything that I asked of her so I just let her do what she was doing as long as she was doing it properly. I just assumed that all of the pressure from the ff process just had her a little nervouse (for lack of a better word). however after the process was over she is not slow about retrieving bumpers or birds (as long as their dead) I think that for a young dog that the pressure of ff is just overwelming, in my opinion if they are doing it and going through the motions then you can work on enthusiasm later, after all your dog is still young.
    im sure that others will tell you different but this was how I did it.
    jim

If your dog will retrieve to hand you might want to have some fun retrieveing sessions right after each ff session. Make them short retrieves shoot poppers do live flyers as long as her retrieve result is not counter productive to ff. This will only be a good idea if you are getting a good retrieve, picking up marks and retuning nicely, delivering to hand
    Tim Doane , Kingseed Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Hunters Marsh King Elijah MNH QAA "Ely"
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Little Miss Dangerous MNH QAA " Stella "
    HRCH Kingseeds Queen Of Grace MH " Hannah "
    Kingseeds She's A Classic " Layla "
    www.kingseedkennels.com

1)I am following Evans SmartWorks program along with the guidance of guys that been through FF. I'm conservative with my praise, meaning I don't "shoot my wad" on every praise. I do reassure her with light strokes and calm low voice.

2)It seems most programs CC after FF and Walking fetch, but should I consider using a ecollar to help FF?

3)Durring FF, all I work on is FF and hold. I don't throw any bumpers or let her run any marks. I don't want to set her up for failure.

4) I haven't moved to the ground yet.
    Last edited by rlrhino; 12-28-2008 at 11:13 AM.
    4x4grace.com

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhino View Post
    1)I am following Evans SmartWorks program along with the guidance of guys that been through FF. I'm conservative with my praise, meaning I don't "shoot my wad" on every praise. I do reassure her with light strokes and calm low voice.

2)It seems most programs CC after FF and Walking fetch, but should I consider using a ecollar to help FF?

3)Durring FF, all I work on is FF and hold. I don't throw any bumpers or let her run any marks. I don't want to set her up for failure.
    Hey rlrhino,
    If your using Evans system you should have smart fetch. You might want to review the part where he uses the e-collar during ff.

He makes it quite clear that hold should be rock solid before you begin ff so no need to work on it during ff.

Im almost certian he mentions it being ok to throw marks during ff as long as your getting a good retrieve. I have found throwing marks during ff to make a big difference in a dogs attituide. Good luck
    Last edited by TIM DOANE; 12-28-2008 at 11:22 AM.
    Tim Doane , Kingseed Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Hunters Marsh King Elijah MNH QAA "Ely"
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Little Miss Dangerous MNH QAA " Stella "
    HRCH Kingseeds Queen Of Grace MH " Hannah "
    Kingseeds She's A Classic " Layla "
    www.kingseedkennels.com

I have the SmartWorks Volume 1 book.

According to that book, EG teaches ear pinch. Sorry for the confusion, but she holds great. She doesn't always retrieve to hand, but she will hold.

I thought it was taboo to use an ecollar for FF, or to run marks durring FF. ?
    Last edited by rlrhino; 12-28-2008 at 04:56 PM.
    4x4grace.com

Since Tuesday (my dog’s name) was stalling on her FF I was scratching my head about what to do. Going back through my training log, I noticed the same theme throughout, lack of motivation. Plus I’m sure my lack of experience played a part.

The dynamic levels of stimulus (ear pinch) didn't seem to have any effect on her motivation. So, I went back to the basics, food rewards. The session went like this. "Fetch", she would fetch, hold for a sec or two, then "give" and treat. After several repetitions she was a bit quicker to fetch the bumper.

I know it’s not practical to carry around treats all the time, but if it helps motivate and teach her, why not? Of course I plan to reduce the treats and increase the hold over time.

I'm anxious to hear what others have to say about this. Be easy
    4x4grace.com