The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Dakota hunt 4 days of fun, one day of hell

Default South Dakota hunt 4 days of fun, one day of hell

we left for our annual south Dakota pheasant hunt on December 26 ( me and legacy6, in one truck and my dad and his friend in another) and got out in the first field to hunt about 2:00 (thanks to having to dig our truck out of the snow drifts on a back road) and had our limit of rosters in 2 hours. the snow was so deep in some spots in the fields and swamps that we had to have snowshoes on or we would sink up too our chest in the snow but fortunately the dogs could run on top of most of it, when we met up with my dads truck at the hotel that night we found out that they had limited out too and also had gotten stuck on the back roads.
    the next 3 days went the same we got stuck a few times and limited out every day and the dogs worked extremely well by the end of day 4 we had 48 roosters and not one lost bird even with some poor shooting on our part resulting in some wounded birds having to be trailed and rooted out of the snow. my 11 month old blf pup ace found out that pheasants like to tunnel under the snow so she became a tunneling dog some times going 10-15 feet before coming up to get her bearings she caught more then a few birds doing that. and legacy6's 7 month old blf pup got to retrieve 6 or 8 birds over the 4 days but my 3.5 year old clf jaz was the work horse for our truck flushing and retrieving the most birds.
    then on the morning of the 5th day came the disaster while we were waiting for them to meet us over a hill my dads friend called me on the phone and said "we have just been in a bad accident get over here now" and hung up, well as i got over the hill i saw dogs out running around and thought well it cant be that bad if they have the dogs out then i noticed the semi in the ditch and all of the truck parts on the road and my dads truck in th other ditch and i did not see my dad or his friend any ware as i ran to the truck i saw my dads friend moving in the passenger seat but my dad was not moving when i go to them i saw my dad was unconscious but was breathing, i told legacy6 to call 911 and start to round up what dogs he could find (they had 8 with them in a large welded aluminum dog kennel) but i did not have hope of finding any more then the 3 i saw walking around alive because the topper and dog box were in small pieces all over the road. about 10 minutes later the ambulance got there and my dad came around i started to look for dog bodys or live ones under the semi or the pickup but not finding any i noticed another truck pull up full of hunters and found out they had been looking for our dogs for us and had found 2 of them one 2.5 to 3 miles down the road! and another had come back on its own then another showed up! so now we had 7 for 8 dogs and all the dogs so far had only cuts and scrapes on them!!! i was wanting to go to the hospital to see my dad but i knew he would never forgive me if i left his muddy dog out there so as we talked to the other hunters that were there they said they had seen a brown dog running for the hills west when i started to look out that way i say way off in the distance a speck running this way and sure enough it was muddy and she did not even have a scratch on her!!!, so we got all of the dogs on our truck and followed the fire department to the hospital when i got there i found my dad awake and coherent and steve (my dads friend) up and walking around i was ecstatic. my dad walked away with a broken caller bone and ribs with a concussion and steve with a broken hand and ribs. and only one dog needed 12 staples. two people and 8 dogs were in the pickup that got hit by a loaded semi doing 65-70 mph and i don't know how but thank god they all lived (the truck driver walked away with out a scratch). my dad was taking a left off of the hwy when the trucker decided to pass him hitting him in the box side and drivers door. the truckers statement to the trooper "i did not notice his turn signal" the things i learned from this are always keep a look out for not only what is in front of you but also behind you, and keep your dogs in the best kennel you can his kennel was .125 welded aluminum with a
    1"x1" welded aluminum frame and the biggest piece of it left was 2'x4'.
    thank god every one come out of this alive. here are the pictures

me the first day

legacy6 the second day

dad stuck, a snow drift pushed him of of the field road

me trying to pull him out, due to the ice under the snow we had to get the farmers tractor

jaz in action

ace in action
    Last edited by DSMITH1651; 01-03-2009 at 03:45 AM. Reason: spelling
    MAGGIES CADILLAC JACK (RIP)
    JAZ
    ACES BLACKWATER EXPRESS

http://www.canvasworksincmn.com

dads truck whats left, it is at least 200 feet from the intersection

whats left of the topper and kennel, his kennel was the same as the one in the back of my truck with out the canvas top on it.
    Last edited by DSMITH1651; 01-03-2009 at 03:47 AM. Reason: spelling
    MAGGIES CADILLAC JACK (RIP)
    JAZ
    ACES BLACKWATER EXPRESS

http://www.canvasworksincmn.com

Kristie Wilder

Holy Cow...

Which picture is the truck where the dogs were?????

oh crap, never mind. just saw the captions. WOW, how fortunate nobody was hurt too badly or killed... Someone was certainly looking over you.

Banned

I'm glad everyone was not hurt real bad as well as the dogs. At least I know what snow looks like. I haven't seen snow like that in almost 40 years.
    Last edited by Roger Perry; 01-03-2009 at 11:53 AM.

I'm so glad everyone came through OK. There's a good reason for laws that say you can't pass at an intersection. The other driver's excuse sounds as good as the guy who complained to a cop that I was parked in the middle of the road when he rear-ended me at a red light.

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Wow, the angels were busy that day. Glad to here that everyon came out relatively unscathed.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Senior Member Travis R. Bullock's Avatar

Very glad to hear that everyone is alright! I am sorry that what started off as a good hunting trip had an ending like that.
    Train Hard - Hunt Hard - Play Hard
    www.nodakdesign.com

Wow.....very lucky to have walked away from that...and to have not lost any dogs. Scary stuff. Glad everyone survived!
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Holy Crap!!!!!

I'm sending a bunch of money - have your Dad pick us some Lottery tickets.

Sure glad you are all OK-

Someone has an angel regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Those pictures of the damage show how easily a good time can go bad. Thankfully dogs and people were not injured more.
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html