The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone own a Sherpa bag here?

Default Does anyone own a Sherpa bag here?

Just curious what an empty "original" medium sized Sherpa bag weighs. Darned NW airlines has a 15# TOTAL (w/the bag) limit on cabin pets and I think the way my (not so) little ones are growing, we are going to be cutting it real close for my east coaster... She has a Samsonite bag that weighs between 2.5 and 3.0# w/ the hard bottom, 1.0# less if she takes it out, but I was curious if the Sherpas are any lighter than that. She is flying right at 8 wks (the earliest they'll allow) but the females are 9.5-10.5# already and have 10 days to go! They are not fat either...

If anyone has one to weigh, I'd appreciate the info. Anne

I weighed myself with and without the bag and got around 3 pounds. I flew Delta with it last year and all they cared about was getting the extra $75. It was never weighed or checked very carefully either.And no one asked to see the pups true age or vet check , but I was prepared for it. Next month I'm going NW and I'm pretty sure all they're going to worry about is the $150 they're going to charge.

Quote Originally Posted by splashdash View Post
    I weighed myself with and without the bag and got around 3 pounds. I flew Delta with it last year and all they cared about was getting the extra $75. It was never weighed or checked very carefully either.And no one asked to see the pups true age or vet check , but I was prepared for it. Next month I'm going NW and I'm pretty sure all they're going to worry about is the $150 they're going to charge.
    Don't count on it... all it takes is one grouchy check in person to ruin your day.

Ackkk. I hope they'll take the bag w/o the hard bottom insert or I may have to starve a puppy for a day or so!

I was worried about the 9 inch height rule that AA said that they had, because the medium sherpa is 10.5. Most of the medium bags are 10.5 inches. My sister-in-law was the one that was flying with the pup. At the check-in they ooood and aaahd about how cute the pup was that they almost forgot to charge her the 100.00. They never said anything about health certificate, age, height of bag etc. They were too distracted by lovable pup.

I hope that happens in your case, probably will. I wonder if you could call, just as a curious customer for future reference ( do not give details about your specific pup and flight), and find out if they weigh them on a scale. I agree with you, have them take the bottom out and put it in some other piece of carry on luggage, and once through the check-in put it back in.

My sister-in-law was taking a yellow lab male, 8 weeks old and he was almost 13 pounds so with bag he would have been almost 16 pounds. We had to shove his butt in to zip it up but he loved that little cozy place.

I know that your pups have the cute factor, so hoping for the best.
    Colleen

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    Don't count on it... all it takes is one grouchy check in person to ruin your day.
    This is true. However, when I flew with my pup from Seattle this Summer, NW gave me no problems. I had the maximum size allowed Sherpa and an 8-1/2 week pup, so the total weight was over 15#. Luckily, when I was on the phone making the arrangements, I noticed their requirements and threw out 15# when they asked me the weight.

At check in, nobody ever asked to weigh the bag and, in my experience as a frequent traveler, they don't seem to care about carry on weight at all.

They did ooh and aah about the cute puppy, even when we changed planes in MSP and he decided to chew his pee pad and pee on the carpet at the gate.

Hopefully, your experience will work out well. NW is good with pets--better than with people.

They are about 3#. I just make sure the health certificate is made out for 8 weeks. You can have anywhere from no one checking anything to someone checking dates and weighing. It all depends on how well they know the rules which many times is they don't. Same for dimensions. They may state them, but all they care is they can fit under the seat.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Check out some of the other brands. Some have mostly mesh on the sides and are not as padded as the Sherpa bags, and must weigh less. Try Target type stores.
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

We own 2 of the Sherpa bags. Have used them a lot and never had a problem. The reason we own 2 is we like it when our puppy buyers fly in to pick up their pup and figured if we could loan a bag out that would encourage more of that.

Both bags were used on our last litter back in early November.

Hopefully you won't have any problem with a Sherpa bag.
    Marty & Lesa
    Ramblin Maxx Retrievers
    Fort Worth, Texas
    817-564-3560
    www.ramblinmaxx.com

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinmaxx View Post
    We own 2 of the Sherpa bags. Have used them a lot and never had a problem. The reason we own 2 is we like it when our puppy buyers fly in to pick up their pup and figured if we could loan a bag out that would encourage more of that.

Both bags were used on our last litter back in early November.

Hopefully you won't have any problem with a Sherpa bag.
    You know, that is an excellent idea. I'm such a wimp when it comes to shipping puppies by cargo (did it once, didn't sleep all night and Kristy's stories last year of misrouted puppies iced it for me!). Fortunately no one has had a problem with coming out and getting their pups so they can fly back in the cabin. I think it's good I live someplace folks may want to visit!

I'm glad to hear they aren't really as strict as they appear on the weight rule. My other pups flew Alaska and Delta so we didn't have that weight issue.

And yes, they are going in for well checks on that Friday, and are 8 wks Sunday-- same day she's leaving w/ the pup. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for all the info and ideas. Anne

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    You know, that is an excellent idea. I'm such a wimp when it comes to shipping puppies by cargo (did it once, didn't sleep all night and Kristy's stories last year of misrouted puppies iced it for me!). Fortunately no one has had a problem with coming out and getting their pups so they can fly back in the cabin. I think it's good I live someplace folks may want to visit!
    It is probably not a bad idea to keep a couple around. My mother won't allow her pups to be shipped, so if folks have to fly, they have to go carry on (other than the lucky ones that get to fly by private plane). She has had a couple of instances when folks showed up without a Sherpa and not enough time to buy one. Heck, I almost forgot to take mine since I am not used to traveling with it.