RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What is your Opinion of the POTUS-Place, political subforum

• It was a great move and it keeps the extreme political dialogue off the RTF main forum.

Votes: 177 86.8%
  • It has no place anywhere on this site and political debate should be banned forever.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other - I'll explain with a reply to this thread.

Votes: 8 3.9%

POTUS Place - Your Opinion?

10K views 62 replies 44 participants last post by  luvalab 
#1 ·
The POTUS-Place subforum has been in place for a few weeks now.

I created it, both selfishly and based upon a fairly high frequency of requests for such a location for those of you who enjoy discussing politics.

Recently, I'm getting complaints from some folks who claim to not like reading political posts, and who don't want to discuss politics. Yet, there they are, reading the POTUS Place subforum, rather than just avoiding that subforum altogether and just reading the other portions of the RTF forums. I'm a little confused on this one, as this is the whole reason that the POTUS Place subforum was created - to get the main RTF forum back to subject matter devoid of the extreme political dialogue constantly churned up by a few who dig that sort of thing. POTUS Place was put in place to take the old "if you don't like the author or the subject line, then don't click on the thread" mindset to a whole new level.

I've still had to spend more time than I'd like to over there, just to try and keep some stuff on track, and keep folks abiding to the groundrules for all RTF forums.

Please take a moment and click a button on your opinion. Also, if you have some further comments, feel free to post them here.

Thanks,

Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
They are fine over there-otherwise it will trickle back over here. It's kind of like an ignore button. If you go over there and don't like it, don't go over there.

#3 ·
I didnt think it was a good idea at first, thought it was a softie move-but actually, like it now. I dont go there much, and when I come onto the regular forum, I know its mostly going to be doggie related.:) Good job!

#4 ·
Chris,

My perspective is politics and religion are non topics among business associate and acquaintances.

Those types of knock down drag out discussions should be reserved for family and friends.

I have yet to look at that page, and I will not.

The only political association that I publicly support is The Brown Dog Mafia.

So if the viewers do not like the extreme left, right, or middle view points found there.....
DON'T LOOK !!!!! The 2nd kick from a mule teaches you nothing.

John

#5 ·
Recently, I'm getting complaints from some folks who claim to not like reading political posts, and who don't want to discuss politics.
I'm laughing my a** off on this one. People are complaining that they have to read about politics on a political subforum? :p :p :p

Can't make them all happy all the time regards,

#6 ·
I havent been there, dont believe I will. Doesnt bother me that there is the forum in place as long as you (Chris/mods) dont think the time you spend there takes away from the quality of the rest of the site......

#7 ·
Chris, there are 'political' dimensions to what we do, as I'm sure you know. Where 'politics' become a part of 'dog' discussions there is indeed a place for political discussion on this forum, IMHO.

However, when the subject is not closely related to dog ownership and dog sports, then I don't see any reason you should have to monitor discussions. If I can query just a bit sarcastically for the sake of emphasis, 'Why not an AIDS forum? Surely, there must be a canine AIDS virus out there somewhere, even if we don't know it yet. And surely, it will have an enormous political impact on our interests here on this forum.

Why not an Avian Influenza Forum? Bird Flu has been proven to infect dogs, and be transmissible from dog to dog. I'm not really serious, but avian influenza has a much larger potential impact on our 'dog' interests' than some of the stuff being discussed on POTUS.

Of course, somebody will beg to differ with that statement...

Dump the political diatribe and get some rest.

#48 ·
Chris, there are 'political' dimensions to what we do, as I'm sure you know. Where 'politics' become a part of 'dog' discussions there is indeed a place for political discussion on this forum, IMHO.
I agree with the above, so I voted "other." The poll offers no other option for moderation.

All political opinion threads belong over there. But if the post is not political opinion but rather political news relating to dogs or hunting, they have a place here.

If all political posts, both opinion and news are moved, we do a disservice to the community.

An example is Zipmarc's post today "California Legislative Alert." Purely political in nature, but political news, not opinion. It belongs here.

#8 ·
Recently, I'm getting complaints from some folks who claim to not like reading political posts, and who don't want to discuss politics.

Chris
I like it over there in a separate area. I think I've only visited once. If folks don't like reading political posts (like me), don't open that link. Unreal what people will complain about.

#9 ·
I like it. I wasn't sure at first. I didn't like the tone or the extent of political discussion leading up to the election but felt it would die away naturally when the election was over. I think the creation of POTUS actually did two things.

First, I think it probably increased the amount of some of the political discussions by removing the feeling that those of us who like such conversations were trampling the rights of saner folk to be left alone.

Second, I think the tone of the discussions actually improved with more reasoned dialogue even if there was not more agreement.

For those who don't like potentially incendiary and often useless discussion of such topics, POTUS makes us easy to avoid. For those of us who resent losing our ability to "raise the consciousness" of everyone else, it helps to remember that we are much better off than all of those smokers huddled outside in the wintry cold.

#10 ·
I'm with the majority. I have little or no interest in the topics over there, and I appreciate that the main forum isn't being flooded with political "stuff". If you don't like it, don't read it. It's much easier to avoid when it's in it's own forum.

#16 ·
to be honest I forgot until now that it was there....after the tiring political season of the last TWO YEARS I had to take a break from political talk...I dont mind the ocassional jab but the one thing I have learned on this forum is that any of you wont change me from a conservative to a liberal and I wont try to change you from a e collar trainer to amish style as some (not me) call it.....but I still like most of you on here and look forward to meeting you before all is said and done

#17 ·
I believe that the creation of the POTUS Forum was the correct move and allows those that wish to engage in politics, the opportunity to do so.

My only concern is that when there are political issues that affect our retriever games, hunting, land access, breeding, etc.; they are incorrectly pushed over the the POTUS Forum. (The most recent example being the post about the positions held by the SecAG and the SecDOI appointees.) Many individuals have stated that they don't visit the POTUS Forum and thus they never have the opportunity to see these relevant posts. IMHO, these type of political posts should definitely be on the main forum even if they offend a few people because of their importance to the group as a whole.

Al

#21 ·
My only concern is that when there are political issues that affect our retriever games, hunting, land access, breeding, etc.; they are incorrectly pushed over the the POTUS Forum. (The most recent example being the post about the positions held by the SecAG and the SecDOI appointees.)
Actually I disagree with you Al, the thread you mentioned was inappropriate for the general forum. It was political -- not really improtant to the group as a whole. Chris was right on in his decision to move it and I for one trust him completely to make those calls!

IMHO, these type of political posts should definitely be on the main forum even if they offend a few people because of their importance to the group as a whole.
I'm sure that Chris is smart enough to see which type of "political" posts are relevant to RTF group as a whole. The other individual who really understands what would be important to RTF would be Florance Sloane. You Potus "people" are just too emotional about all these "pet" issues. Trust Chris!

#18 ·
Seems to me that there has been more substantive dog training discussion going on this forum since POTUS was created than ever before. It will control itself, ebb and flow with the mood of the country, pitch left and right with the opinions of its participants.

I applaud you, Chris, for creating POTUS in the first place, recognizing the need to separate the passion and the product. Yes, it may be a bit of maintenance issue, but at the end of the day you've served the needs of your "members" on both fronts.

Keep it. Keep an eye on it. Trust me: those "whiners" who complain about a forum they don't participate in will keep you in the loop....:rolleyes:

Ironical regards, ;-)

kg

#20 ·
Once in a great while I will stop over there to see what is going on and if I am bored will read the posts to see people argue! I do like having it in it's own place but if it isn't something I want to read I won't open it anyway so I guess it doesn't really bother me much. On the other hand thanks for a great website Chris! I have learned a lot!

#23 ·
There must be a couple of thousand members of the forum. I am sure some of us have a family member who is either married to a non white or has a child of a non white race or has a friend or family member who has a partner/child who is homosexual.

It is extremely insulting to have people of non white races or homosexuals demeaned on this site.

I would not want to think that anybody would stand by and let another demean a person because of what color, ethnicity, religion or sexual persuasion. But there are some who have not gotten passed that.

If any rational person wittnessed a situation like that they would hopefully stop and say, "That is not acceptable."

This is the reason I responded 4 times in 3 years to a political discussion.

I do not want the bullies in control. If you are standing on the side and watching it happen you are just as guilty.

I also don't like this elbow in the rib kind of "humor" as if we all agree on the above issues.

And what really sets me on fire is these same folks will then ask for prayers for one reason or another.

Is there anyone I've left out?

#24 ·
Sorry Pheasant, just because you think we all should see them, some of us don't want to. I look through the political forum occasionally, but I got really tired of seeing it in this forum.

#25 ·
Chris!

I think you now need to split THAT forum!

1. Flamin Lefties that dont know what theys a talkin about!

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd

2. Obnoxious right wing screwballs that THINK they do!!

As usual ask me ANYTIME you think I could be of help!!

I'm here for Ya Bro!;)

Gooser

#26 ·
I'm for leaving it where it is!!!

If, from an equity standpoint, some feel we must look at this issue again, lets wait until the dust settles down from the first 100 days after the Inauguration.........

john

#27 ·
I like the idea of having a place to vent about politics. I tend to be rather thick skinned so the ruff and tumble tone of some posts generally doesn't bother me.

Its also a good place for the many political issues that are germane to those of us who run retrievers: gun control, anti breeder laws, breed specific bans, anti- hunting groups like PETA and other humaniacs.

NObody has their arm twisted to join this forum, much less read about topics they find objectionable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.