The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your best bird boy story????

Montgomery Qual 3 yrs ago..... One the water marks the middle gun of the triple (an inmate of the prison farm) who was supposed to retire after the dog picks up the Go bird is still in the open. We see him wailing the ground with the but of the shotgun vigorously. When asked on the radio to retire He calmly reaches down and picks up 4 ft of very dead black snake ...throws it behind the blind...then retires just in time.

25 years ago down in Texas I thought I had the best arm around, but I kept hearing about Jim Swan's son Bobby. Every trial I would hear "Yeah he has a good arm, but you should see Bobby Swan's".

So one day at the Shrevport trial I'm asked to make a tough throw on a dead bird on Bubba's plantation. I'm doing what I think is a good job, pitching the bird 30 yards high and 40 yards out, but the young guy popping for me is saying things like not bad, or you might try to get it a little higher, or what happened did you slip on that one.

Well, I'm getting pissed and I'm thowing the ducks so far my feet are coming off the ground. I'm trying to throw the bird plumb into the next county just to shut the kid up. Well, I don't ever satisfy the kid popping for me, but I learned after the series was over that the kid turned out to be none other than Bobby Swan. (He had hurt his shoulder the week before and couldn't throw that weekend)

For years I bragged that when he and I were paired together all he ever got to do was pop.

....Don
    Just for the record I have very fine dogs. Some of the best in the whole country....or at least on my own block anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by kip View Post
    charlie moody has the best stories of anyone.
    True dat... but the best stories involve him throwin rocks!!!

SM

Yea Kip....The one about the Purina Power Bar and the Dorito bag still cracks me up......

Quote Originally Posted by Lpgar View Post
    Montgomery Qual 3 yrs ago..... One the water marks the middle gun of the triple (an inmate of the prison farm) who was supposed to retire after the dog picks up the Go bird is still in the open. We see him wailing the ground with the but of the shotgun vigorously. When asked on the radio to retire He calmly reaches down and picks up 4 ft of very dead black snake ...throws it behind the blind...then retires just in time.
    Judging down in South Texas. We put a flyer station on an island. Run test dog. One of the shooters asked if he could shoot a snake, we said of course. Ran a couple dogs, then he asked if he could shoot another one. Turned out, the entire island was a big root system that doubled as a snake bed, it was full of copper heads, they started popping out of holes left and right. Test was scrapped and we got them out of there quick like.

SM

True story ...

Place: trial at White City, OR, a few years ago.

Series: land blind. First time bird boy.

Marshall on the radio: PLANT THE BLIND.

Bird boy runs out with the bird, lays the bird down in the grass, gets down on his knees and proceeds to pull a big clump of grass with dirt attached, then uses his hands to dig a deeper hole, stuffs the bird into the hole, places the grass clump with dirt over the bird. Get's on the radio and says, "I planted it."
    Don's girls:
    FC AFC Flyway's Ruby B. Gonia - a Carbon daughter and now a grandma (my avatar)
    AFC Flyway's Long Tall Sally - Ruby's daughter
    Flyway's Iron Lady (Maggie) - Ruby's granddaughter. Maggie's the new puppy in the house.

Port Arthur Retriever Club land marks in a cut rice field, 2 boys on each station, one station retired, the guys who were retired got into an argument and proceeded to have a fist fight in the field, don't know if there was a winner or not but the entertainment value was high

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dufour View Post
    Yea Kip....The one about the Purina Power Bar and the Dorito bag still cracks me up......

Oh that one makes me laugh out loud right now...hahaha

judging in the spill way and sweezy is running the first dog in the qual land marks. the kid had no idea the dog was coming to get the bird not him! boy were sweezy's coments funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Williams View Post
    Oh that one makes me laugh out loud right now...hahaha
    what about "how do you like your eggs? i like em!"