RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Whats your best bird boy story????

20K views 94 replies 66 participants last post by  Good Dogs 
#1 ·
The thread about which way to face bird boys in the derby and the deviation you will deal with over the course of a series got me thinking back to some (funny now, but at the time - not so much) bird boy issues when judging.

More than once i've had a bird boy stand up and start walking out of the field after throwing a bird so he can use the restroom. We've had to send a four wheeler out to pick up a kid who demanded he be taken to the porta potties. Once had a bird boy walk out of the field in the open because his coach told him he could leave at 1pm and he was tired of dealing with us (remember that Kippy??).

Most recently we had a bird girl have an asthma attack in the field while a dog was running. That was pretty scary.

SM

#2 ·
I was at Acadiana a couple of years ago, and a birdboy refused to touch the ducks. He didn't say anything until everything was set up, and a test dog was ready to run. He was relieved of his duties and spent the rest of the time playing a gameboy or other such gadget on the equipment trailer. I don't know if he got paid or not.

#3 ·
Not a bird boy story as most field trialers think of bird boys, but anyway. UKC finished test in North Carolina. Water series in the afternoon, triple with blind off a mark and by a point. Dog picks up the three marks clean, and is clean that morning. This pass is for a title on a black dog who never got any of the breaks. Back to the story, three clean marks and I am lining the dog for the blind when the bird boy on the mark that is just off line stands up, Judges tell him to set back down, dog is looking every where thinking this is a set up. Bird boy stands back up and tells the judges that there is a Skunk in the holding blind and he is leaving, he proceeds to leave and walk around the pond, dog is out of her mind by now, he takes his time walking all the way, as the skunk is following him not 20 to 25 yards behind him. Once he is out of the way and out of sight, I send for the blind, of course the dog falls apart like a two dollar watch, half way to blind she sees the skunk and is hot on the trial, after several recalls, and hand throwing ducks to get her back and away from the skunk. I pull her off line, Judges talk about it and decide to give me a rerun, but not before they shoot the skunk. Come to the line again and give it a college try, of course it was way to late for anything good to happen at this point.

#4 ·
Bird boy yells in that he needs to use the restroom.Judge tells him to just turn around and go.Note: nothing to hide behind.He embarrassingly looks around,then turns away from the gallery,and proceeds to drop his pants! WoooooHH the judge jumps up and sent someone out for him.Poor kid ! At least he was good at following orders.

#5 ·
There is a great story in the Bill Tarrant book, hey pup fetch it up. He recalls the judges wondering why there was so much suction on one particular blind until someone discovered that one of the blind planters had built a small fire and was roasting a pheasant when discovered.

#6 ·
Seems like they should allow bathroom breaks every couple hours!:)

#7 ·
Funny story told to me, I laughed until I cried:

A newer bird girl was helping a very successful pro and his partner on a Thursday before the trial. They were running dog after dog after dog on the pretrial test trying to get done so they could leave. She ran out of caps or bullets for her pistol. So she called in and said "Hey I don't have any more bullets". Pro responds in his hurriedness as he turns to leave line so his partner can run next dog, "Just say Hey-Hey!". Soooo, the girls sits down, looks around and says "Hey-Hey!"; looks around again and in a split second gets on the radio and says, "I'm still out of bullets!"

T-Roy

#9 ·
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats too funny!!!

At the handlers request, we had a birdboy stand up and HEY HEY a dog that was lost. The very next dog was heading in the same direction as the previous and all of a sudden whips around and starts back towards the bird boy/mark. It was a long mark, but i could have sworn i heard a "HEY HEY" from the overly proactive bird boy. I asked him on the radio if he yelled at that dog and he was like "um..... no sir, i didn't say anything". I said ok, make sure you stay quiet unless we ask for your help. The next time a dog missed the mark, he gets on the radio "do you want me to yell at this one?" LOL

SM

#8 ·
I was judging the Derby/Qual at Cimarron a few years ago, and our bird boy in the Derby had a close encounter of the Chessie kind. He was stuttering and stammering on the radio. I think a certain Oklahoma trainer teaches bird boy intimidation fundamentals as part of their program. Remember Chris???

#11 ·
Not at a test or trial but had to share it. I have a few steel tripod wingers I made that I leave out in the field.Well long story short the wife was my bird girl for the day. Mind you she is small so she really has to lean back to get any distance on the duck.She throws a few I call for another one and the next thing I know it sounds like a pack of males surrounding my female in heat. The front stake that holds it down pulled out she went @#$ over tea kettle. So glad that the winger did not fall on her these things are heavy. Other than a bruised gluteus maximus and pride she was fine.

#12 ·
We had coed bird technicians at one hunt test. One station in particular was always missing the cue to throw the duck. Found out later that the boy and girl behind the holding blind were playing smoochie face most of the afternoon. Cooler minds prevailed and the two were seperated.

Mark L.

#88 ·
I heard a similar story from someone in my club at a test they were at, except the kids were doing more than just playing smoochie face :rolleyes:;) LOL

#14 ·
At Watopa a couple years ago, Paul Panichi and Dave Furin were judging one of the all-age stks--Am I think, and the club had hired college-age guys to help. Needless to say, these college guys didn't have a clue. After wallowing through the land mks with many many no-birds, we made it to land blind with a dry pop and we are ready to run test dog.

Test dog comes to the line. Paul waves the white towel and nothing happens. Paul gets on the radio and splains to the bird boy that he is to pop the gun when he sees the white towel waving. The towel waves, the kid pops, the test dog runs. Gallery is asking questions after test dog, and Paul raises his hand as he's speaking and gun goes off. Then it was comical because everytime paul raised his hand (no waving towel) the kid would pop--when it wasn't wanted.

Later on the blind, some of the landowner's cattle came into the scene. Paul tells the bird boy to chase them out, and the bird boy starts waving and pointing his popper gun as he's running at the cattle which got Paul to yelling in fear he'd accidentally shoot the popper.

Paul and Dave had their patience tested that weekend. They're good judges and great guys.

#15 ·
Our HRC uses prison trustees to throw and they're always great at it. At one Started test I was judging, we had an elderly, respectable type, old ***** man. I instantly liked him. You know, a kindly grandfatherly, country man. Reminded me of an older, grey haired James Earl Jones. I have no idea what he did to land in the clink, but he was well spoken and worked hard.

Anyway, we had set-up and run a few dogs when we came to a re-birding. I drove some birds and some bottled water out to him and casually asked him what he thought of the whole test thing.

He started shaking his head and says, "Boss, I really like these dogs, but standing out here with this big slingshot tossing dead, stinky ducks for them to pick up is the darndest thing I've ever seen. You white folks have funny ways of having fun."

I laughed and laughed...and can still remember that gentleman's voice making that remark.

#65 ·
That was a funny story. Thank you for the chuckle!:D

#16 ·
Running at a HT about 12-13 years ago, they used the Juvies to throw--mostly city kids working off their 'community time'. At the JH running my little bitch, who is very vocal--the whole wagging, crying, growling monkey routine. Well-- after retrieving the duck she spots the birds boys and runs over to say "HI"(we had this problem for years). As she enthusiastically races behind the holding blind screeching like a banshee, the kids were terrified and come running out of the holding blind in all directions. Jaz chased one all the back to the line....took forever to calm those kids down. We flunked, but man was it funny.

#18 ·
We were lucky enough to be back on a Sunday for a 3rd Master series that Lou Davis was judging at Norco. There weren't many of us there to help set-up, (not even bird boys yet) so I pitched in so we could get the show on the road, and tossed a couple of test marks so Lou could see them.

When the bird boys did arrive, we put them in their stations which are now ready to go. Since they had thrown the day before, we didn't figure a lot of instructions were needed. It was a land/water triple with a short wipe out / go bird to be tossed just across a narrow ditch. The BBs were kids from the High School track team. Lou explained to the big ol kid in the near station that he needed to throw the bird just across the ditch on her signal.

Two birds are thrown, then the go bird is signaled. Apparently this kid was also QB on the football team. He cocks his arm and heaves a perfect overhand, 40-yard duck-spiral over the ditch to the other side of the levee. I think about 20 people roared "Holy $hi^!!" at the same time, with Lou being the most vocal. Not sure if we were more impressed with the kid's arm or the complete miscommunication. We could have spared a winger the first 2 series.

ml

#19 ·
Back at my first test ever, I was a nervous wreck. To top it off I had a gallery, including my training group, my mother who drove 3 hours to watch her 'granddog' and a pro we trained with who let his assistant handle a master dog so he could watch.

Land marks and first water mark went fine, so only one more bird and I was about to die. Mark was across a pond just on the other side of some cattails but we were up on the side of a hill, dog had to run down then up the dam to get in the water. My dog got a little disoriented doing this but got in the water and started swimming. Unfortunately he got out between the mark and the bird boy blind which was up a fairly strong wind.

He scented the ducks in the blind and headed in there. Judge realized what was going to happen so he got on the radio and told the bird boys not to let the dog get a duck out of the bucket.

Obviously, he was a second or two late and the dog came running out with a duck in his mouth. The bird boy gave chase. At first my dog thought it was a game of keep away and was having fun even when the second bird boy joined in. I am freaking out and it took me a while to think to blow the come in whistle. Finally the third bird boy came out with a pool skimmer they gave them to pick up birds that landed in the water so they wouldn't need a pick up dog. That freaked my dog out and he started running for dad with three bird boys, one with a long stick chasing him. The gallery was laughing like crazy but I was completely lost since I had never run a test before.

He ran all the way back to the line and came and sat between my legs. I didn't know what to do until I heard my pro friend yell "take the bird". I took the bird and heard him yell "hand it to the judge and walk away". I handed the bird to the judge, put my slip lead on and headed for the gallery. The applause was as loud as when a dog nails a tough series at the National.

The judges ciphered a bit and gave us the pass. For about two years after that, that dog turned his head and gave a bark in the direction of the gunners every time he ran past them, just in case they got any ideas about coming after him again.

#20 ·
That was hilarious! I feel for you though. During obedience in 4-h my dog belly crawled out to me and she never got up on the long down and for the stand for exam she was so excited to see someone coming to pet her that she jumped up on the judge to say hi! This was my first show!

#21 ·
Montgomery Qual 3 yrs ago..... One the water marks the middle gun of the triple (an inmate of the prison farm) who was supposed to retire after the dog picks up the Go bird is still in the open. We see him wailing the ground with the but of the shotgun vigorously. When asked on the radio to retire He calmly reaches down and picks up 4 ft of very dead black snake ...throws it behind the blind...then retires just in time.

#25 ·
Judging down in South Texas. We put a flyer station on an island. Run test dog. One of the shooters asked if he could shoot a snake, we said of course. Ran a couple dogs, then he asked if he could shoot another one. Turned out, the entire island was a big root system that doubled as a snake bed, it was full of copper heads, they started popping out of holes left and right. Test was scrapped and we got them out of there quick like.

SM

#22 ·
25 years ago down in Texas I thought I had the best arm around, but I kept hearing about Jim Swan's son Bobby. Every trial I would hear "Yeah he has a good arm, but you should see Bobby Swan's".

So one day at the Shrevport trial I'm asked to make a tough throw on a dead bird on Bubba's plantation. I'm doing what I think is a good job, pitching the bird 30 yards high and 40 yards out, but the young guy popping for me is saying things like not bad, or you might try to get it a little higher, or what happened did you slip on that one.

Well, I'm getting pissed and I'm thowing the ducks so far my feet are coming off the ground. I'm trying to throw the bird plumb into the next county just to shut the kid up. Well, I don't ever satisfy the kid popping for me, but I learned after the series was over that the kid turned out to be none other than Bobby Swan. (He had hurt his shoulder the week before and couldn't throw that weekend)

For years I bragged that when he and I were paired together all he ever got to do was pop.

....Don

#26 ·
True story ...

Place: trial at White City, OR, a few years ago.

Series: land blind. First time bird boy.

Marshall on the radio: PLANT THE BLIND.

Bird boy runs out with the bird, lays the bird down in the grass, gets down on his knees and proceeds to pull a big clump of grass with dirt attached, then uses his hands to dig a deeper hole, stuffs the bird into the hole, places the grass clump with dirt over the bird. Get's on the radio and says, "I planted it."

#27 ·
Port Arthur Retriever Club land marks in a cut rice field, 2 boys on each station, one station retired, the guys who were retired got into an argument and proceeded to have a fist fight in the field, don't know if there was a winner or not but the entertainment value was high

#42 ·
Oh my goodness , that reminds me of the time we took Tom and Rick Martin to a picnic trial, they had a disagreement on how their dog was being handled and proceeded to throw down in the parking lot.

Rick Martin is now the chief cardio thoracic surgeon here in Las Vegas and Tom is a world renown pediatric heart surgeon in Gainesville Fla and credited for innovative techniques in pediatric medicine...not too shabby for a couple of west Texas boys

#31 ·
I was at a hunt test years ago where they were using quail as their game bird. I was running my dog Bo in a junior and when he hunted and hunted and could not find the bird he went to the holding blind the bird boy was in and grabbed a bird out of the bucket and brought it back to the line. The Judge hollared at the kid "why did you let the dog get a bird out of the bucket" and the kid hollared back "because the dog growled at me".

#32 ·
During a HT the judges sent the bird girl to a bush along a tree line to yell a distraction for a blind. She did fine for 5-6 dog before saying something to the judges about the yellow jackets. It seems the bush she was told to hide in had a yellow jacket nest and she had been stung about a dozen times prior to letting the judges know, enough is enough. This same girl at a previous test, her first as a bb, accidently shot herself in the foot with a popper gun, while they were rebirding. Luckly did not do any damage. Bud

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.