The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your best bird boy story????

Funniest one I ever saw was the first series of an open in South Texas, handler blew his whistle to handle the dog and gave an emphatic over, so the bird boy obliged and took the cast,poor kid didnt know what to do, when asked why he thought the whistle was for him and he was out of position and in the way of the dog
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Port Arthur Retriever Club land marks in a cut rice field, 2 boys on each station, one station retired, the guys who were retired got into an argument and proceeded to have a fist fight in the field, don't know if there was a winner or not but the entertainment value was high
    Oh my goodness , that reminds me of the time we took Tom and Rick Martin to a picnic trial, they had a disagreement on how their dog was being handled and proceeded to throw down in the parking lot.

Rick Martin is now the chief cardio thoracic surgeon here in Las Vegas and Tom is a world renown pediatric heart surgeon in Gainesville Fla and credited for innovative techniques in pediatric medicine...not too shabby for a couple of west Texas boys
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

How about a bird girl story-

about 5 years ago on New Years Day Erik Gawthorpe, Dennis Wilcox and Marty and I were together to start the year off right with a session.
    Marty was on the short retired threw for the first dog- on the next dog as she threw there was a slip - a crack and she fell. The dog ran his marks and she was still on the ground. Erik and I went to see about her and helped her up- the leg hurt but she was ok. Dennis was hollering to hurry up

anyway she threw for another dog and that was it for the set up. We helped her out of the field and put her in a chair as she encouraged us to go get the next setup ready. We did and ran 4 dogs as she hobbled over using a blind stake.

We put the gear away and headed in to watch our favorite UT team beat someone- on the way home Marty spoke up and thought she needed to go to the hospital- I headed toward the hospital but no we must go home and care for the dogs and she needed a shower before going to the hospital at 4PM on New years day.

Anyway I watched the bowl game from the waiting from as she had the broken leg placed in a cast.

true story
    Dave Kress

Last 4th of July we were judging a HT in Minot. Beastly hot and they were doing a double Master/Junior Senior.

"Red", a AFROTC girl was there for 3 days and never slowed down. We got her for our senior water on Sunday and she sprinted out, holding her cap as she ran to plant the blind for every bird, never missing a beat. She had a dude with her in the gun station and he couldn't do her job. She was awsume!! This after 2 days in the sun and heat. Would like 10 of her.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Not a trial or test but this is one of those "you should have been there."

One of my former training partners was a gentleman, Bill, who enjoyed smoking his tobacco pipe and carried it with him all the time. He would smoke as he took his turn at a gun station. One training day I lined my dog up to run the mark Bill had thrown. I looked up to send him for Bill's mark and it was like a scene from the Bible. You know that burning bush story? Bill had lit his pipe, thrown the match in the dead leaves, and then retired behind the tree. He didn't realize-nor did anyone else-that the brush in front of the trees was on fire.

Anyway after a very scary time, we managed to put out the fire using blankets and water we had brought for the dogs. This was before cell phones so I am not sure how fast we could have gotten help to the property. We were lucky.

L
    "My most prized possession was my library card from the Oakland Public Library." Bill Russell

Quote Originally Posted by kip View Post
    what about "how do you like your eggs? i like em!"
    or....."You need to pay them $125 to get your lawnmower back.".....

How bout Charlie dropping a handfull of grass and it blew to the side.He asked the guy which way the wind was blowing....He said "that way".Next day ...no wind.Charlie drops the grass and asked which way is it blowing....Guy said "from the top ?"

A mechanical BB story.

At a club training night, I was not present, they set up the Top Gun wingers near a pond but in dry grass. Very dry grass. The Top Gun could shoot a popper and was positioned to shoot down. Well,, dry grass, poppers shooting into it and suddenly they have a pretty good fire going. If not for the pond, it would have been ugly real fast.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

A friend of mine used to own some strip clubs and had 5 of the girls come out in the summer to throw for us. Course nobody wants to hear that story or see the pics since it was a training day and doesn't really fit with the thread.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

This one was pretty funny.
    One training day John Cavanaugh was the bird boy throwing one of the water marks with a splash. Dog is sent and proceeds to cheat the water, run the bank and slip the whistle. Rather than let the dog get the bird John launches himself and dives into the water to retrieve the bird before the dog could get to it. It was a total crack up. Now that's dog trainin'. LOL
    I think a nice Motorola radio ended up being destroyed too.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie