The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brady Bunch's latest gun grabbing ideas

Quote Originally Posted by M Remington View Post
    Sorry, missed that question.

Common-sense gun laws do the following:

1. Prohibit people other than the military or police organizations from specific types of guns.
    2. Prohibit people from purchasing certain types of ammunition (i.e. "cop killers").
    3. Have a rigorous background check system (and I don't care how long the information is retained).

That's about it to me.
    I expected so much more than the standard party line. Guess I shouldn't be so disappointed though...it's always the same.

What you and your fellow liberals fail to acknowledgeis that we already have laws pertaining to just these things.

Fact: It is illegal for most law-abiding citizens to own fully-automatic weapons or "destructive devices". You need a special license to own such a weapon. How many licensed owners of fully-automatic weapons have committed murder?

Oh, but what about those awful "assault" weapons? Tell me what the difference is, besides cosmetic features, between an "assault" weapon and my father's Browning semi-automatic 30-06 rifle he uses for deer hunting? I'm sure you know, the Browning semi-automatic is based off the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) originally designed for the military?

Fact: It is illegal for the law-abiding citizen to buy "armor piercing" bullets. Armor piercing purchase is restricted to law enforcement and the military.

Cop-killer bullets are a myth. It's a made-up name born from media hype and nurtured by unrealistic Hollywood portrayals and the deliberately misleading claims of the anti-gun lobby. It's the name given to teflon covered bullets that supposedly have better penetration than standard bullets. In reality, the teflon is an outer coating for the brass penetrator and usually peels off during its trajectory through the air.

Also, as already mentioned, almost every common hunting rifle cartridge can pierce body armor. I own several guns of different calibers that could penetrate body armor. I've never felt the need to go and try and test them though.

Fact: Dealers are already required to perform background checks on law-abiding citizens that wish to purchase a gun. A citizen may be denied purchase. A purchase may also be delayed while the ATF performs a more comprehensive background check.

If you didn't notice, there's a key phrase in each of the paragraphs above - "law-abiding". I don't care how many laws you pass. It won't make a bit of difference to the criminals. But that's something else you and your ilk choose to ignore.
    Last edited by toddh; 01-15-2009 at 07:03 PM.

It's so simple. Here's a common sense gun law our country should try...

If you commit a crime with a gun you're executed.

If don't care if you're robbing a bank, holding up your neighbor or stealing a pack of juicy fruit at the 7-11. And I don't care if you even fire the gun. It doesn't matter. Do it with a gun and you're done. Executed.

The gun grabbers in the country are packed with cowards. They'd rather blame the gun and let the criminal go free. Execute the criminal and the problem goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    It's so simple. Here's a common sense gun law our country should try...

If you commit a crime with a gun you're executed.

If don't care if you're robbing a bank, holding up your neighbor or stealing a pack of juicy fruit at the 7-11. And I don't care if you even fire the gun. It doesn't matter. Do it with a gun and you're done. Executed.

The gun grabbers in the country are packed with cowards. They'd rather blame the gun and let the criminal go free. Execute the criminal and the problem goes away.
    I can't say I disagree with you, Goose. But, that's also little like locking the barn after the horse is gone. Now you got at least two dead people.

We also have to get in front of this problem. Whether, it is tuning back on media violence, doing something to reduce the number of fatherless kids, getting in front of the drug war, or a mandatory stint in an ROTC program where proper use of firearms is taught. We got to do more than we are doing to reduce the gun violence.

I don't know all the answers, but we must do something more in addition to "out of my cold dead hands" or we are going to be fighting these battles forever. Our numbers in the hunting ranks are dwindling and the population has become mainly suburban and urban. Unless we get our skulls together we are eventually going loose this one, NRA or not.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

how about getting in front of it by arresting the criminals, the gang bangers, the drug dealers, and keeping there butts in prison. unfortunately our criminals justice system has a revolving door. the police arrest them and the jugdes let them out. i do not know the stats, but by reading our local paper the worst crimes are committed by repeat offenders. how about getting in front of it by focusing on the criminal instead of the tool they use to commit the crime. look at england they out law guns and now people are using knives to commit crimes. now they want to outlaw knives. give my a break. what are they going to do tell people they can't have butter knives in their kitchen.

none of you that are pro gun control have answered a simple question about the city of chicago. it is illegal to have any kind of gun in the city of chicago yet they still have a huge problem. what additional "common sense" gun laws can be passed that will stop the gun violence and murder problems they have? anyone? anyone? bueller?

stop focusing on the tools and focus on the criminals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CPR HRCH Scott's Sweet Brandy
    Kankakee River HRC
    NRA Life Member
    Pheasants Forever
    Delta Waterfowl

By the way, how many of you have written to your U.S. Rep. on this one?

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.45:

If you hit the link click on the blue text in the opening page and it will pop up the full text of the bill
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

I don't have a problem with this law. I don't intend on committing any gun crimes.

Aren't you conservatives the ones who don't have a problem with the warrantless wiretaps because you're not committing any crimes? If you don't plan on committing gun crimes, why do you worry about licensing?

I don't have a problem with this law. I don't intend on committing any gun crimes.

Aren't you conservatives the ones who don't have a problem with the warrantless wiretaps because you're not committing any crimes? If you don't plan on committing gun crimes, why do you worry about licensing?
    Licensing is the first step in taking them away. They want to know what guns law abiding citizens have for the purpose of taking them

Be hard to commit gun crimes after they take them away....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

You obviously haven't read the whole law. It's much, much more than licensing.

You guys are the NRA's dream. They keep saying "they're going to take your guns away," and you guys keep giving money.

Obama has shown no interest in ending traditional gun ownership.