The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Brady Bunch's latest gun grabbing ideas

Quote Originally Posted by tpaschal30 View Post
    Much like the illegal drug market has been "controlled" perhaps? It will work just as well.
    I just saw that the price for a gram of cocaine is $50-80 today and back in the 70'-80's it was $100+. If the war on drugs is working why have prices gone down and the avalibility of it gone up? Maybe we should outlaw guns, I would love to pay $100 for a Red Label O/U!
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    I just saw that the price for a gram of cocaine is $50-80 today and back in the 70'-80's it was $100+. If the war on drugs is working why have prices gone down and the avalibility of it gone up? Maybe we should outlaw guns, I would love to pay $100 for a Red Label O/U!
    Prohibition worked great as well!!! That is the reason the NRA says "If you outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns".

Quote Originally Posted by M Remington View Post
    If you don't plan on committing gun crimes, why do you worry about licensing?

You said it without even realizing it. Your "common sense" gun laws will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to curb crime. It just a burden on the law abiding citizen and a waste of tax dollars.

Obama has shown no interest in ending traditional gun ownership.
    Do we really need to list all the anti-gun laws he has supported??? Go drink some more koolaid.

Most of these proposals prey on the ignorance of the general public as to current firearms laws.

RESTRICT LARGE-VOLUME HANDGUN SALES TO REDUCE TRAFFICKING

What do you consider large-volume? The law-abiding citizen is already restricted to five hand guns at one purchase.

REQUIRE GUN OWNERS TO REPORT LOST OR STOLEN GUNS

Who in their right mind would not report a stolen gun??? If my house gets robbed, that's the first thing that will get reported. Of course, if I'm a criminal and I have an already illegal weapon stolen, it won't be reported.

Identify and curb those who feed illegal gun channels by purchasing guns and reselling them to people precluded from ownership.

Already illegal for someone to buy a gun for another person.

gun shows are on weekends. The government offices required for doing the checks were closed on weekends.

Used to be, but no more. The NICS telephone lined is operational 24-7, 363 days a year. The only days it is closed is Christmas Day and Thanksgiving Day.

Quote Originally Posted by toddh View Post
    Most of these proposals prey on the ignorance of the general public as to current firearms laws.

RESTRICT LARGE-VOLUME HANDGUN SALES TO REDUCE TRAFFICKING

What do you consider large-volume? The law-abiding citizen is already restricted to five hand guns at one purchase.
    Is that a Federal limit or a state one. I am not aware of any limit in Pennsylvania. However, I've never purchased more than three at one time myself. I found a 2007 reference indicating there was no Federal limitation and only a coupld of states that had imposed limits on purchases within a specified period of time. When Tennessee was a dry state, my parents would go to Virginia to buy liqur to transport (illegally) back to their home in TN. The Virginia state stores only permitted you to buy five bottles of liquor. However, it was not worth it to drive that distance for only five bottles. Instead, my parents would go from liquor store to liquor. Each would go in individualy and buy five bottles and then the other would buy another five before we headed to the next store. By the time we returned home, the trunk was filled and my parents' (and their friends') needs were met for a year. Had there been a limit linked to a database that could tell evrything they had purchased, they never would have made the trip. I suspect illegal gun sales are similar. When I lived in NYC, the normal pattern was an individual or a couple of guys who would go to one of the easy purchase states. They would visit several stores and buy multiple gins at each, returning to the City with 50-100 guns. They migt have used a valid or forged drivers license. However, the profit depended on managing sme level of volume. A process that was effective at slowing down purchases could be an effective deterrent by changing the economics of the process.

REQUIRE GUN OWNERS TO REPORT LOST OR STOLEN GUNS

Who in their right mind would not report a stolen gun??? If my house gets robbed, that's the first thing that will get reported. Of course, if I'm a criminal and I have an already illegal weapon stolen, it won't be reported.
    I think the issue is a gun dealer who purchased weapons to resell illegally. When they are questioned about a gun recovered in a crime they simply say it must have been stolen but they hadn't noticed.
    Identify and curb those who feed illegal gun channels by purchasing guns and reselling them to people precluded from ownership.

Already illegal for someone to buy a gun for another person.
    This is true in Pennsylvania. i don't know about other states.
    gun shows are on weekends. The government offices required for doing the checks were closed on weekends.

Used to be, but no more. The NICS telephone lined is operational 24-7, 363 days a year. The only days it is closed is Christmas Day and Thanksgiving Day.
    My point exactly. Why should there be a gun show exemption allowing guns to be sold without a background check?

How exactly does requiring reporting of a stolen gun help STOP any gun crime? It does not PERIOD. It only records that they were stolen. I don’t buy the gun dealers selling them illegally and then saying they were stolen if they get used in a crime. There may well be a few crooked dealers that may try this but I truly doubt it is common place and once again they are breaking laws in the first place by selling them illegally. There are already laws in place….ENFORCE THEM don’t make new ones that will not be enforced as well. To use the drug example again if your caught with a pound of pot, what good does it do to charge the person with “paraphernalia” for having a pack of rolling papers?

This is true in Florida and I am pretty sure everywhere in the nation. This is not common sense this is redundancy again putting another law in effect where one already exist. ENFORCE THE LAWS ALREADY ON THE BOOKS. More GOVERNMENT REGULATION (i.e. laws) do no good unless they are enforced and since we already have more than enough laws that cover all of these proposals this is unnecessary and just another way to bloat the government.

As far as gun shows...I have not bought a gun at one in some time, but the last time I did you either had to have a carry permit OR they did a backgorund check by phone AND if it was a handgun you still had to wait 3 days per Florida law to pick it up and usually the vendor would ship it to you after the three day wait was over.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

several years ago i had a hand gun stolen i knew who did it turned his name in.nothing happened they didn't even seem too worried about it.about a year later a state investagator was in a pawn shop rather than take the gun the pawn shop owner used it to commit a murder.the police arrested him and he got convicted but the person who stole the gun got off.

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    I think those who fear a new prohibition if tough, draconian laws are promulgated are essentially correct. If Pakistanis can turn out perfectly good AK-47's out of scrap rebar with a foot treadle milling machine, surely the underworld can also turn out firearms with computer driven machinery as well. The chances of them having traceable serial numbers are not good.

The cost of setting up and running a federal bureaucracy will be on the back of all of us. It will also lead to a criminalization of otherwise innocent people.

But, there seems to be an unwillingness to consider approachs of dealing with the idiot-behind-the-gun syndrome. Both sides of this issue seem to be bent at venting their respective wrath and bile at each other without looking at how else to to approach the problem. The politicians just love it because the way to get votes is to side with one faction or the other.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 01-19-2009 at 04:21 PM.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

i see no one that is for more gun control can answer the simple question about chicago? there is really no need to debate it further. chicago is a prime example of how gun prohibiton does not work.
    CPR HRCH Scott's Sweet Brandy
    Kankakee River HRC
    NRA Life Member
    Pheasants Forever
    Delta Waterfowl

Quote Originally Posted by duckheads View Post
    i see no one that is for more gun control can answer the simple question about chicago? there is really no need to debate it further. chicago is a prime example of how gun prohibiton does not work.
    Chicago is the perfect example.Over 500 murders last year without a legal gun inside city limits.Mayor Daley has said that if it was up to him,guns would be outlawed everywhere.He's a moron.He doesn't get it.