The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: A comment on the ProPlan "Shreds"

Default A comment on the ProPlan "Shreds"

When the whole controversy started with the change, one of PP's "reasons" was that it was more palatable than the original formula. We all thought that was hogwash.

I had to change what I was feeding Bailey (Springer, 11 years) because she is not ready for SR. food yet. Of course they aren't going to sell the original formula in small bags, and in the time that the labs eat 37 lbs, she eats 6 lbs. So, I gave up and bought her a bag of the shreds. SHE INHALES IT! I accidentally put the Performance in her dish the other day and she looked up at me like I had snubbed her. She really likes the shreds. Maybe there was something to the palatability of it.

I still don't like it as much as the other stuff because those shreds take up a lot of space where smaller kibble used to be...
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

I accidentally bought a bag at the store (was in a hurry, grabbed a bag, ran out, got home, too lazy to haul it back to get performance) so decided to go ahead and try it. The guys LOVED it, and actually my 13 year old boy managed to haul himself up to knock the bag off the shelf and help himself to the remnants left in the bag!

I won't buy another bag on purpose, but they do seem to like it. Palatability isn't an issue here.

That is the reason it was designed the way it was. The same as why dogs love the palatablility of Beneful and others like it.
    Doesn't neccessarily mean it is better.

Has anyone seen new bads of the original in the stores yet?

Matt
    Matt Peters
    Topshelf Retrievers

I must be missing something. What's the deal with PPShredded Blends? Is it no good?

I picked up a bag last week for my 1 year old BLF. She loves it. In fact, I had been mixing it with her old stuff to help her transition to the new food adn she would pick through her food and eat only the PP Shred food (I actually saw her spit out her old kibble).
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_LAB View Post
    I must be missing something. What's the deal with PPShredded Blends? Is it no good?

I picked up a bag last week for my 1 year old BLF. She loves it. In fact, I had been mixing it with her old stuff to help her transition to the new food adn she would pick through her food and eat only the PP Shred food (I actually saw her spit out her old kibble).
    Rather than rehash it, type in PRO PLAN in the search drop down. There were many threads devoted to this change.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Play WA View Post
    Rather than rehash it, type in PRO PLAN in the search drop down. There were many threads devoted to this change.
    will do. thanks
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

Quote Originally Posted by topshelf View Post
    Has anyone seen new bads of the original in the stores yet?

Matt
    I am still being told the end of January when I inquire locally.

"Dear Purina Pro Club Member,

We received a number of e-mails from our Pro Club members regarding the replacement of original Pro Plan Chicken & Rice, Beef & Rice and Natural Lamb & Rice Adult Formulas with our new Pro Plan Shredded Blend Formulas. While there were many favorable responses, there were also many loyal Pro Plan users who were not happy with the change. So unhappy with the change that they have asked us to bring back the original Chicken & Rice Adult Formula. Your comments about Pro Plan, both pro and con, are always welcome and are very important to us. In response to your requests, we will bring back the original Pro Plan Chicken & Rice Adult Formula. It will be in addition to our new Pro Plan Shredded Blends products.

We ask that you be patient with us as it will take a few weeks to bring it back to store shelves. Please know that we will do everything possible to speed up the process. The original Chicken & Rice Adult Formula should be in full distribution at pet specialty retailers, farm and feed stores and veterinary clinics by the end of January 2009. It will be sold exclusively in the 37.5 lb. bag and will be the exact same formula and package that you have so loyally fed to your dogs.

Until then, please consider feeding one of our other Pro Plan formulas, including Performance Formula, Small Breed Formula, Large Breed Formula or Pro Plan Selects. If you have any questions or require additional information, please call our experts at 1-800-PRO-PLAN.

Thank you for your comments, your opinions do count, and most importantly thank you for your loyalty to Purina Pro Plan."

Sincerely,

Purina Pro Club
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

I feed PPP, no shreds there but I have tasted the shreds (that's me not my dogs) from a sample I rec'd & found them much better tasting than the kibble. It doesn't suprise me that the dogs think so too. Apparently the shreds don't provide the protein or the fat levels required for a 30/20 feed.
    David Didier, GA