The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Bush and company be held accountable?

Here is a look at President George W. Bush success as President.

I expect that every item highlighted as a success in this article will be deemed a failure by the left.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Conten...5/986rockt.asp

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post

I expect that every item highlighted as a success in this article will be deemed a failure by the left.

I'd give him 1/10 on the list (#10). The first three I would actually put on the articles of impeachment. The others overstate what was done at best. I probably won't live long enough to ever see a balanced historic analysis of Bush's presidency (it takes about 50 years to dilute the passions). However, I suspect he will be remembered as one of the worst and most destructive presidents in history -- not because he's a bad man (I don't believe he is), but because of the grotesque incompetence of his administration. I believe a primary reason for that incompetence has been the consistent failure to differentiate between ideology and fact-based analysis. That failure traces directly to Rove and to Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post

Your right Subroc. After reading the article it just reaffirmed to me that the far right will excuse any behaviour by their great and vaunted leaders. The article was long on rhetoric but short on facts.

"Second, enhanced interrogation of terrorists. Along with use of secret prisons and wireless eavesdropping, this saved American lives. How many thousands of lives? We'll never know. But, as Charles Krauthammer said recently, "Those are precisely the elements which kept us safe and which have prevented a second attack."

Also this: "Crucial intelligence was obtained from captured al Qaeda leaders, including 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, with the help of waterboarding. Whether this tactic--it creates a drowning sensation--is torture is a matter of debate. John McCain and many Democrats say it is. Bush and Vice President Cheney insist it isn't."

This is just ridiculous and not even debatable. Bush and Cheney sought out lawyers in the Justice Department who were, friendly to their position and had them write legal opinions that would justify their actions.We should not forget we prosecuted Japanese soldiers from WW11 who waterboarded our own soldiers.

I would like to make clear that when I say I would like to see Bush and company prosecuted for any illegal activity I am not limiting it to just Bush, Cheny, Rumsfeld etc. A truth commision just targeting these individuals would be highly hypocritical.I am all for looking into members of Congress who endorsed such tactics be it Democratic or Republican.

Cotts:

Supposed enough charges have substance that Bush could be prosecuted. Is it good for the country at this time?

The country has a three headed bear on its back. We need every bit of concentration to solve the issues of depression, war, and financial ruin. A trial of Bush and minions would be a big distraction from the tasks at hand.

If someone still wants to pursue it, let some international entity go for it , IF they can assemble the evidence. Pursuit from an American source will just open up the floodgates of rancor. We need every bit of common effort to get the country out of the jam it is in.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Cotts:

Supposed enough charges have substance that Bush could be prosecuted. Is it good for the country at this time?
    I don't think it is as bad as been portayed by some. The consequences of not pursing this I think outweigh any perceived damage that might be done to the country. (Like giving future politician's the excuse to violate the law)This is a Great Country and has survived and endured many crisis's . I have faith we could do the same with this.

The country has a three headed bear on its back. We need every bit of concentration to solve the issues of depression, war, and financial ruin. A trial of Bush and minions would be a big distraction from the tasks at hand.

You are correct. We do face many challenges but this should not be an excuse to let people break the law and do it with no consequences.

If someone still wants to pursue it, let some international entity go for it , IF they can assemble the evidence. Pursuit from an American source will just open up the floodgates of rancor. We need every bit of common effort to get the country out of the jam it is in.
    I don't think we should leave our distasteful business to be taken care of by some other country. I would feel better if our system of Justice took care of this then some International Court. I do however feel that regardless of what we do here, eventually some country is going to push this issue and it's then I think it is really going to get messy.

We should not forget we prosecuted Japanese soldiers from WW11 who waterboarded our own soldiers.
    Got link? I'm looking for any Japnese officer who was prosecuted solely for waterboarding. Just one.

If someone still wants to pursue it, let some international entity go for it , IF they can assemble the evidence. Pursuit from an American source will just open up the floodgates of rancor.
    I know you people (apologies to Ross Perot) are giddy with the direction you think the country has taken, but if you believe that any Americans outside of the flying moonbats on the left (and you apparently) want to see Bush tried by some foreign kangaroo court then you're amazingly tone deaf.

We certainly were in favor of prosecuting Nazis, Amin, Milosovich, and citizens of other countries in international courts. What we say is good for them is also good for us. Or do you subscribe to double speak.

We certainly were in favor of prosecuting Nazis, Amin, Milosovich, and citizens of other countries in international courts. What we say is good for them is also good for us. Or do you subscribe to double speak.
    You have got to be kidding me........seriously.................please help me understand how you can sanely make the comparison of those animals to President Bush.

Remember...sanely is a requirement....

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    Got link? I'm looking for any Japnese officer who was prosecuted solely for waterboarding. Just one.
    Your inference here is that If someone wasn't convicted solely on Waterboarding than it is somehow not a War Crime. The Japanese commited many atrocities against allied soldiers and when brought to trial there were many charges brought against them Waterboarding among them.

Here is a link you can read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterbo...ernational_law

Under the United States law heading you will find that the United States prosecuted a Japanese Officer by the name of Yukio Asano for various acts of torture which included Waterboarding. He recieved a 15 yr sentence.