The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: definition of the word "waterproof"

Default definition of the word "waterproof"

I have a new TT Flyway G2 that I have only used for about the last 2 months in training. I have used it some in hunting but not more than 4-5 times. I went to LA hunting all last week and after the first morning the transmitter quit working. I removed the battery to find some water in area between the battery and transmitter. I called TT and they are going to have me send it to them for replacement/repair. I am happy w/ that and that is all I can ask for.

I did not really get the thing that wet on our hunt. It was not even submerged. So here is my question, it is advertised as "waterproof", what does that mean to you guys? Should it mean if it rains on it you are ok, or if you submerge it is ok? To me I should be able to submerge the thing for a foot or 2 under water for no more than 10 min. and it still be ok. I mean I clip this thing to my waders so its bound to get wet. Is this an isolated incident or do TT transmitters not need to get wet? I had a Sportdog for 3 years that went under water A LOT, and it never had a problem. So what do you guys think? Do I expect too much out of this device if I think it should be sumbergeable?
    Blake E. Gober
    Ringgold, Ga
    North Georgia HRC
    HR Hudson B. Gober JH
    Blakegober@gmail.com

Water proof is submergeable. Water resistant is just a little wet. I agree with you it should have no problem getting wet!
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC - 03/03/1999 - 12/05/2014 My everything!
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

I have had to go diving to find my G3 transmitter. Stayed under for close to 10 minutes. Not a problem one. Mine stays wet during hunting season. Water proof is water proof. No water enters period. Might have gotten a faulty one some how.

IMHO, "waterproof" means "water PROOF." Submersible. My SD1800 transmitter has been submersed several times in both fresh and salt water with no problems.

I have a 2 month old Pro 500 at TT right now for the same reason. Clipped to my waders hunting in rain for a couple of days, and it quit working When looking for the serial number, I pulled back the gasket and it had a little water in the unit. I guess it gets in via the dial? They sent me a loaner unit in the mail while mine is being fixed. They asked me if mine had been "submerged" and I said no, but it is marketed as "waterproof." They said that was true, but the unit are designed to keep working if you dropped it in water and then picked it up, but not as "scuba equipment." We both got a laugh when I asked, who wants to go scuba diving in a duck hole? They should honor the warranty with no issues, I would think.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

water proof = submerable in my book.

How was the hunting?
    "SR Isabel's Going for gold"
    "Kallie's Anatomy Of Grey"

Both lazy house pets untill you ask, "do you want to go play"!

Waterproof is one of the most misused claims around, IMO (generally, not bashing on TT, since I have never had any problems). You really cannot claim something is waterproof without also talking about time and depth. With enough time and pressure, water will get in to almost anything. It is very good at that.

That stinks. Hopefully they'll fix it for you.
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

Quote Originally Posted by txgsp View Post
    I have had to go diving to find my G3 transmitter. Stayed under for close to 10 minutes. Not a problem one. Mine stays wet during hunting season. Water proof is water proof. No water enters period. Might have gotten a faulty one some how.
    Man you can hold your breath a long time!

Tim

It is a gift LOL. The transmitter was under water for close to 10 minutes!