The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Committee responsibility re Judges ?

Default Committee responsibility re Judges ?

Committees both Hunt Test and Field Trial have a lot of responsibility not the least of which is the "standing" of the Judges.

It is with this in mind that I ask.... Should the field trial/hunt test committees be in charge of picking the Judges? Or more to the point does the 'Book" require that this be so in Chapter 1 Section 14 for HT and Chapter 6 Section 2&3 for FT ?

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

For HTs it doesn't say specifically that they must pick the judges, but the HT committee is responsible for the whole shebang, so it would fall under their purview. IME the committee has always picked the judges.

If not the committee, who? I guess the club could start out with a list of judges before selecting the Secy. and committee and tell them, here are the judges do the rest, but I have not seen that. I don't it would violate the rules as the committee can and does delegate many decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    Committees both Hunt Test and Field Trial have a lot of responsibility not the least of which is the "standing" of the Judges.

It is with this in mind that I ask.... Should the field trial/hunt test committees be in charge of picking the Judges? Or more to the point does the 'Book" require that this be so in Chapter 1 Section 14 for HT and Chapter 6 Section 2&3 for FT ?

john
    I personally think it should be a committee or sub committee decision - for so many reasons. Problem: given the nature of volunteer workers, committee members don't always follow through with their responsibilities. Example: A time frame is agreed upon; Phil and Dave promise to put together a suggested list of judges, but they don't do it on time. They then gets upset because the committee went ahead and selected a judge team. Or one person goes a head and selects the judges. Eventually the committee thing begins to deteriorate. The club needs to take the selection of judges so seriously that a committee structure can work over long period of time.

Truth is, many individuals like to select judges so they can be part of a "good boy network", which will help them to be selected for out of town judges assignments and/or invite judges who will be favorable to them and their dogs.

The other thing, John. The Clubs and Event comittees need to take stock of problems and successes (including their judges) at the conclusion of each Trial and Test. And agree to implement specific improvements in their program come the next event. That's not easy for organizations to do. Particularly when the think that because they worked so hard, they must have done a good job.
    Pheasanttomeetyou

Refine Your Awareness

Our club has a HT judges committee of 2 or 3 members. we begin a year or more in advance soliciting judges for our 2 events. We have found a good way to be assured good judges is to seek them out well in advance. Some of course cannot commit a year out, but we call them again as we get closer to the new year.
    We try to mix up our panel so different people are together, and try not to use the same people in the same level from year to year. We try to use no more than 50% club judges and if at all possible, pair them with out of club judges. Costs are always a factor, but we feel the most important part of the test is the quality of the judge and we reach out quite a distance to bring them in. Judges that know how to have a good time are a plus. Those who have paid their dues by working tests, running dogs and helping others are usually asked first. Those who work to impove as judges are always in demand. Those who feel entitled are not.
    Having an experenced member on the committee helps avoid a lot of conflicts and it allows a chance to mentor less experienced members. So far it has worked well, although it seems like there is always one person in the club that will complain.

What we would like to see are more experienced HT people get certified and begin to judge. Those who hunt and train their own dogs make a welcome additon to the list.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

The Rocky Mountain Retriever Club is a small club with less than 10 active members. Our sole purpose is to put on 2 field trials per year. All members also serve on the FT Committee.

We discuss among ourselves who we would like to have judge for us, and once agreement is reached, one of us takes responsibility for contacting that person or persons. We do not have a formal process, but everyone pitches in and it works.

Because we are all active in the sport, the people we ask to judge are typically people that we have competed against or run under in the past.

Because we often find that the people we would like to have judge for us are booked in advance, we work hard to line up our judges in advance.

At the moment, we have the majority of our judges through 2012.

Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

This thread is not about what we think is the best way .... rather it is about whether the "Rules" allow for an option other than the Committee, those people who were granted the stewardship of the event be it a FT or HT by the AKC-- with all of the rights and responsibilities that come with the position.

I've pointed out the places in the "Rules" that say the committee has the whole ball of wax, I'd like see somewhere where it even hints that others should be involved.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

John

Is there any minutae beyond your gaze?

As for the Rulebook, the FTC may delegate responsibility for finding judges for a FT, just as it may delegate responsibility for making peanut butter sandwiches.

Ted

Home of:

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    John

Is there any minutae beyond your gaze?

As for the Rulebook, the FTC may delegate responsibility for finding judges for a FT, just as it may delegate responsibility for making peanut butter sandwiches.

Ted
    Or smooshing the Subway sandwiches.

If you are saying that I am detail oriented I don't take that as a fault

Without such a delegation by the" Committees " Ted, is a separate entity for the selection of Judges allowable under the "Rules" ?

john

Frankly, John

It is not a matter about which I care to devote much time.

Why do you care?

Home of: