The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Presidential Pardon

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Try Elsewhere - Wasn't the original leaker, Richard Armitage, one of their own?
    Yep, Armitage leaked it, which was determined to not have been a crime. Scooter convicted of purjury for failing to remember all the details of the noncriminal act, by a prosecutor who knew who the leaker was.

It's my understanding that GW did not pardon the two agents, but simply commuted thier sentences. Is that not correct?
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Hookset View Post
    It's my understanding that GW did not pardon the two agents, but simply commuted thier sentences. Is that not correct?
    I think that is what I read too Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hookset View Post

That is correct. That is what they (agents and their lawyers) applied for, not a pardon. Given the fact it took so long and the conspiracy necessary to get them convicted in the first place they felt it was not realistic to get a pardon so they went with the commutation instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Mike D View Post
    Yep, Armitage leaked it, which was determined to not have been a crime. Scooter convicted of purjury for failing to remember all the details of the noncriminal act, by a prosecutor who knew who the leaker was.
    Exactly, but with one minor tweak. The word "leak" implies that Plame's identity was passed on for political reasons. Armitage mentioned it in an off-hand manner, with no malice intended. The whole Plame case was a gd joke, and anyone who thinks Cheney was at the center of it or involved in some nefarious manner hasn't been paying attention to the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Hew View Post
    Exactly, but with one minor tweak. The word "leak" implies that Plame's identity was passed on for political reasons. Armitage mentioned it in an off-hand manner, with no malice intended. The whole Plame case was a gd joke, and anyone who thinks Cheney was at the center of it or involved in some nefarious manner hasn't been paying attention to the news.
    Amen. You have it right. I still can't forgive Robert Novak for sitting quietly on this (publicly) because he knew Armitage was his source and he let Scooter Libby take the heat. Armitage should have been identified early on, but they wanted Scooter Libby to take the heat which he did.

Scooter Libby has spent enough time in jail for his perjury. Commuting his sentence was the correct thing to do IMHO.

I recall there was a president who lied consistently until a little blue dress shed new light on his story. He never spent a minute in jail.
    Don's girls:
    FC AFC Flyway's Ruby B. Gonia - a Carbon daughter and now a grandma (my avatar)
    AFC Flyway's Long Tall Sally - Ruby's daughter
    Flyway's Iron Lady (Maggie) - Ruby's granddaughter. Maggie's the new puppy in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    Which law did Scooter Libby break? His supposed crime came after the investigation was already underway and the prosecutor already knew that Richard Armatige was the leaker. Even though the culprit was know he continued to question people until one of them slipped and he could make bogus charges stick. A good prosecutor could question you, I , or anyone else on what they had for dinner for the last week and get you to slip up and "perjure" yourself.
    Scooter Libby was convicted in Federal Court on 4 counts:

1. Obstruction of Justice
    2. False statements to FBI investigators (Concerning conversations with Tim Russert)
    3. Perjury to the Grand Jury (Russert conversation)
    4. Perjury to the Grand Jury (Cooper conversation)

Your statement " His supposed crime came after the investigation was underway and the prosecutor knew that Richard Armitage was the leaker" infers that once a investigation is underway, anything that is discovered after it is started is something you can't be charged with is just not true.

Let's not forget that the perjury charges are the same offenses that Bill Clinton commited and was impeached for. If I remember right it was the right wingers screaming that the rule of law must be upheld and that justice must be served.

I think the Plame matter was so badly handled that the only decent thing was to commute Libby's sentence. Novak and Armitage were more culpable than Libby and they skated. Libby was protecting Old Sureshot. I think he knew he was headed for a fall.
    L. T.

artman

in the next four years we will look back and think w was a great president

Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    in the next four years we will look back and think w was a great president
    I don't know about great but history will look kindly at he presidency.