The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pup....Should I Be Concerned?

Default New Pup....Should I Be Concerned?

I have a new BLM pup out of Prime Time that is 13 weeks old. He has a nice enough disposition but cringes when I use a scolding voice (my voice can get pretty loud) and if he has an inkling that he is doing something wrong goes into avoidance mode and tries to hide (i.e. peeing on the floor and getting caught). There has been no corporal punishment except to get a hold of him and put him in his kennel.

The other thing is when he is sitting waiting to be released (to be sent for his food or to come) he will not look at me. He retreives but is somewhat lackadazical about that as well. The retreiving is less of a concern as I can get him turned on with birds and age.

This has me somewhat concerned in that I want a good competition dog and a good hunting dog. I need a dog that isn't going to look to run away from things he doesn't like and can take the rigors of training for competition.

Wondering at his age should I really be concerned or will he bold up with age?

Do you mind if I ask what a 13 week old puppy is doing that brings out your loud scolding voice? They don't know what they don't know at that age and I can't think of much you would would want to be correcting for.

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you can’t take it back…"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Three things he get some correction for are peeing on the floor, chewing on something he shouldn't and he is very loud and agressive in the kennel to the extent he has rubbed his jowls raw in one spot. So he get a no for peeing, a no for chewing and a quiet for loud noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamid View Post
    Three things he get some correction for are peeing on the floor, chewing on something he shouldn't and he is very loud and agressive in the kennel to the extent he has rubbed his jowls raw in one spot. So he get a no for peeing, a no for chewing and a quiet for loud noise.
    Do you give him every opportunity to not need to pee on the floor? Are you taking him out when he wakes up, after he eats & after playing? He truly doesn' know what he is doing is "wrong"-he just has to pee. We know the rules-they don't. It's our job to think ahead and give them every opportunity to get things right, so try and anticipate his needing to air and take him out.

As for chewing-does he have plenty of things to chew on? Take away whatever he shouldn't have and give him something that is safe and fun to chew on. Again-he's not being "bad". He's just clueless as to what is ok and what isn't.

Crating-I'm the worst person on this one. My dogs never have spent any time in the crate when I'm home-ever. I've never even had a crate set up in my house. I think dogs need companionship and when I'm home-they are out and about with me. I've never had destruction in the house and they are calm, cool and collected in the house.

I'm sure you'll get other advice and it will likely differ from mine, but I have a dog who I think is going to be a lot of fun to run, but is also the epitome of a good house dog and I think that's because he's confident and comfortable in his own skin.

You have to have rules and enforce them, but you also have to foster pups when they're young and you have to be fun to be around when working your pup or you won't get out of them what they're capable of and it won't be fun for either one of you.

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you can’t take it back…"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Banned

If somebody came running into a room screaming 'no', I'd run and hide too. There's different ways to train a dog to go outside. The same thing with chewing. A puppy is bred to chew. Sounds to me like it's a matter of not paying attention. With puppies, I've learned you can't leave anything laying on the floor. It's fair game. When does he pee? Right after he drinks water? Most puppies pee within 15 minutes after they drink or eat; just after they wake up; after burst of energy, like playing. If you know his habits, take him out to one place and use a key word; then when he potties; praise him with 'good dog.' The barking can be from lack of attention. Dogs bark if they know it's dinner time. I haven't been to a kennel yet where all the dogs aren't barking to get out. Puppies bark in a crate bark because they usually want out. Especially the first few days, if they've never been in crate. Sounds like you need a basic training book. It's all a matter of communicating; teaching and lots of patience.

Never give a dog a command that you can't enforce. Love people that hollar 'here' when the dog is out of reach, and then try and chase them to catch them. To the puppy, it's all a game and becomes learned behavior.

This is the same pup you posted about putting a bark collar on at 7 weeks, to which you didn't respond to any of the posts in that thread by the way. I can't imagine what this pup is going through in his learning responses but not surprised he is trying avoidance. Please get some local help from trainers who can give you in home evaluation and some hands on lessons in puppy raising, or find a home for this pup with someone who has time and patience for him. Not trying to be nasty, just doesn't sound right if this is for real.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Teach, teach, teach. Assuming he isn't deaf, why would you yell at a puppy?

At this stage I would be focusing more on rewarding behaviors I want with praise.

If he chews inappropriately, no need to yell, simply say "no" and give him something appropriate to chew. I assume you have plenty of options for him.

If my puppy pees in the house, I see it as my fault for not watching him close enough. If it happens, I merely say "no" (no yelling) and race him outside and praise like crazy when he gets it right. Also, it sounds like you may have submissive urination going on, and are likely making it worse.

It is your job to create an environment where he can learn and be confident, not scared. Put the pup in a position to be right and reward him for it.

Being loud doesn't help at all IMO.
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

Holy crap! I remember the bark collar thread.

Listen to Miriam please! If you take a little baby puppy out every two hours, as soon as he wakes up, as soon as he eats, and whenever he's sniffing around in a suspicious manner he will be house trained to 90% reliability in 2 weeks. At 13 weeks he can only go 2 hours between peeing. If he's peeing on the floor it isn't HIS fault it's YOUR fault. Criminy! We can help you. Don't ruin your dog by being ugly to him while he's a baby.

reply to the questions you get asked and people here will help you figure it out.
    Terry Moseley
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Crates should be seen as a den, safe haven, retreat for a pup. It is not to be used as a jail or "corner" for when they have done something that you didn't want them to be doing. Don't feel like everyone is ganging up on you with their replies either. Some people just don't have the necessary patience to raise a pup. They are very much like children. They only know what you teach them, so any negative behavior is actually a reflection on what you have taught (or didn't teach). There are a number of breeders, kennels, trainers, out there that offer to raise pups for you and the added benefit is that they get a jumpstart on being exposed to birds, gunfire, obedience training, etc... It may be something to consider. If you choose to go at it on your own, get a book, dvd, or local hands on advice quick. Pups can be a handful, luckily they can also be very forgiving for when we screw them up!!
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Quote Originally Posted by firehouselabs View Post
    . There are a number of breeders, kennels, trainers, out there that offer to raise pups for you and the added benefit is that they get a jumpstart on being exposed to birds, gunfire, obedience training, etc... It may be something to consider.
    My dad is getting ready to retire and this is exactly what he wants to do. Might not be a bad idea. I think you've been given lots of good advice. I'm only a handful of months ahead of you with my current pup, and I know how frustrating the peeing in the house is, as well as the chewing and yapping. Good Lord I lost 2 months of sleep because of Gunner's howling.

Where is the crate? I know that once Gunner was sleeping in the same room as us, (crate or no crate) he stopped making so much noise. He couldn't handle being alone in the living room. As far as the chewing goes, well, puppies sure teach kids and husbands how to pick up after themselves...On the topic of the peeing...well, the puppy is learning, and it is the owner's responsibility to make sure pup has more than enough time outside.

Just a guess, is this a first puppy? These are common issues that first time owners struggle with.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.