RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

seeing several sides of humanity in a few short moments.... gdg

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  John Kelder 
#1 ·
so there we were, 8 retrieves in to an 11-bumper pattern blind - taking our time. 3 retrieves, rest - water - couple of fun bumpers, fun marks, then 3 more backs....then i hear a CRASH and see a cloud of dust. WTF? the dust clears to reveal an SUV on its drivers side in the middle of North Houston Rosslyn road. no question what to do - not gonna load the dog in the truck and drive out - no time - so i commence to sprint the 200 yds to render aid. along the way i see a dozen or more cars just cruise right by in both directions - not to be bothered. i ramp it up a bit and leap a ditch and RIP - there went my left hamstring. hobbling along with Brady faithfully at heel - bumper in mouth - and i have to yell and forcefully to tell a driver to stop and let me cross the road to get to the crashed SUV - and then again as i crossed the other lane! ????? i dont get it. i get to the car and the horn is honking - the poor 70-something elderly lady is frantic that its been a full minute - a LONG time in her situation, and no one is there! just as i arrive finally some other good decent people were getting out of their cars - 3 or 4 back in traffic, to help me. "someone check to make sure there is no fuel leak! - who has a a phone and has called 911?" i barked as i talk to the poor frightened lady to find out she is coherent - no blood -side air bags supporting her from the pavement - severe leg pain but thats not bad considering - talking her through to unlock her doors so we can open the passenger door to relieve her a sense of claustrophobia in the wrecked car, laying on the ground to talk to her through her broken window to get her daughters phone number so i can call and let her know - then i look up and there is a nice Hispanic lady sitting against a barbed wire fence seeing the need to help where she could - and there she was with Brady right next to her, watching me - bumper still in his mouth.... ;-)

other guys were directing traffic and then guess what? some guy wants to get by so bad he actually hits her car as he squeezes by! did a good several hundreds of dollars damage to his own truck as i and a few others yelled and set him in his place - and he got mad at us!. what is wrong with some people?

then the EMT's, police, and firetrucks arrive - brief them on her condition and its time to go - let them do their job.

i hobble back to my truck, passing some of the other folks that stopped to help, thanks go each direction as we all knew we did what was right.

finally back to my truck and i open up a beer that is typically reserved for the end of the session. line up the boy and he cleanly completes the last 3 pattern blind retrieves. he has been a good boy, so i painfully tossed him several short fun doubles and triples as a reward.

so now here i sit, leg over ice, 2 faithful dogs on each side, adult beverage at hand, feeling good about some strangers who's paths crossed mine today..............and not so much about some others. i am thankful that enough good ones were there that if/when heaven forbid it happens to me there will be someone there in that time of need.

training is going to be painful for the next few weeks!!

See less See more
#3 ·
well apparently i AM too old and large to leap ditches on a full out sprint!!!! :p:p:p

ken - i am a lifelong surfer who is just beginning to see the end of my active years fade away...... its hell getting old!!

and yeah, i am confident the lady will be fine - shaken but fine. she could recite her SSN, ph. no., etc, so very coherent. i just cant imagine my own mom in such a situation....

#4 ·
An awful situation. I am so glad to hear you did the right thing. Sorry you were hurt in the process and am very glad to hear the lady is alright

#5 ·
ken - i am a lifelong surfer who is just beginning to see the end of my active years fade away...... its hell getting old!!
Yer dam straight it is, but, I don't see any viable alternative. :(

You done good this afternoon Surf!

#6 ·
Getting old is hell but the alternative sux. You did good today. In case no one told you.

We had a saying in the Marine Corps...A Warrior keeps his head when those about him panic.

Today you kept your head.

#8 ·
Wow, David....what a training session! Glad it all ended well and hope you hamsting gets better soon. That is a very painful injury.

It always amazes me that when there is an accident on the road that people don't stop to see if there is anything that needs to be done. Heck a lot of them don't even slow down. Your action is to be commended as well as the drivers who did stop.

#9 ·
Way to go! It is nice to see there are still decent people in the world! This summer when I hit the deer with my truck not one person moved over in the other lane to avoid hitting me and I was out walking around and this was the interstate! Sorry about your muscle though! That is gonna suck for awhile but I would say it was probably worth it!;)

#12 ·
...At least it was not your dog hit by a passing car!
I must confess, as I was reading this, my primary concern was the safety of the dog.

Glad it turned out OK (except for the hamstring..hope that heals soon)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.