The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GDG $155,000 Cloned Lab Pup on Today Show

Last edited by frontier; 01-28-2009 at 10:25 AM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Silly.

Not something I'd be interested in doing, but to each their own.
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

I thought cloned animals aged faster, lived shorter lives and had health issues. Is this not correct any more. Can you imagine someone cloning Lean Mac or one of the other greats from days gone by?
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Though I can sympathize with the grief of losing your great friend, I still think it is a terrible idea. I am not questioning the morality of cloning. It would seem to me that when you clone you are going to recreate the same dog. If that original dog died of cancer, is not the new one going to do the same, thus recreating the grief????
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

this is a bad idea, ive seen the movies. This is where the dog goes crazy and eats people, then the zombies come back and chase some scantily dressed large breasted girl
    and she gets smashed by the garage door. Eventually we will all get saved by some unemployed new reporter. Good luck everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinDawg View Post
    I thought cloned animals aged faster, lived shorter lives and had health issues. Is this not correct any more. Can you imagine someone cloning Lean Mac or one of the other greats from days gone by?
    Unless you could recreate with the clone all the exact marks and drills and obedience with the exact long ago trainers who may have laid hands on the original to make it as great as it was…….. Why bother?
    Or are you saying that any of us typing here, if we could swoop back in time and grabbed Lean Mack up at 8 weeks we could have accomplished exactly what was???
    I know for a fact I’m not that good, by a long shot!!!! ……… Are you?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    Unless you could recreate with the clone all the exact marks and drills and obedience with the exact long ago trainers who may have laid hands on the original to make it as great as it was…….. Why bother?
    Or are you saying that any of us typing here, if we could swoop back in time and grabbed Lean Mack up at 8 weeks we could have accomplished exactly what was???
    1) I know that having an exact perfect replica of Lean Mac or Honcho or whoever at 6-7 weeks of age would not leave you with the same dog later down the line. What you WOULD have would be a dog with the same potential.

2) I don't think there is a dog in the world that I could train to become a FC or AFC or even QAA with my current abilities, equipment, training grounds and TIME available for training. I do think that if someone spent over $150,000 on a clone of one of the old great dogs they probably would do so after having assured said dog a spot on a truck such as Lardy's, Farmers, Rorem's, Eckett's, etc. Or they might be a heck of an amateur themselves.

I think the cloning is a bad idea and a waste of money, but I do think there would be a lot of people who would love to begin training a puppy with the exact same genetic makeup (and therefore talent, intelligence, etc.) of Lean Mac (just using Lean Mac as an example - insert other premier retriever's name here as well).
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    Aaah Grasshopper, you have learned humility. Soon you will be able to snatch the pebble from my hand.
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

Quote Originally Posted by brian lewis View Post
    this is a bad idea, ive seen the movies. This is where the dog goes crazy and eats people, then the zombies come back and chase some scantily dressed large breasted girl
    and she gets smashed by the garage door. Eventually we will all get saved by some unemployed new reporter. Good luck everyone.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. It would be an evil dog that kid on Godsend.
    I do agree with everyone. Forgetting the arguments for/against cloning, I think you ruin the dog's legacy by cloning him/her.
    Doc's Bonafide Golden Pride (FC,AFC,FTCH,AFTCH,OTCH TNT's Stanley Steamer UDX,OHF,MH,AmOHF x Satchabrat MH)
    Doc's Atchafalaya Chief

Anyone know where I can get a few strands of Carrie Underwood's hair???
    FCR "Ransom" - Coastalight Toodoggone Much CD MH *** (2012 MN Qualifier and All-Age pointed!)
    FCR "Legend" - Ryvertowns More Than A Memory CD *** (QAA and 2011 FCRSA Field Trial Trophy Winner)
    LAB "Traitor" - All Out Gone to The Dark Side (QAA and Nat'l Derby List)