The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thomasville to ban Pit Bulls?

Default Thomasville to ban Pit Bulls?

Associated Press
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009
    THOMASVILLE — A south Georgia sheriff has asked county officials to consider a proposal that would ban pit bulls in his county.
    Thomas County Sheriff Carlton Powell considers the breed to be a danger to the public. He made the comments at Tuesday’s meeting of the Thomas County Commission.
    Powell’s proposal comes after last week’s death of a 5-year-old Thomasville girl. The youngster was mauled to death in her yard by her family’s pit bulls.
    Powell believes the dogs are too aggressive.
    But at least one citizen said its unfair to pass a law that picks on one breed.
    Thomasville is located near the Florida line.
    Tom Dorroh

I have never owned a pit bull and I do not plan to own a pit bull in the future. However, I would not support such a ban and would hope that it would not become widespread for several reasons:

1) First I see enforcement issues. Who decides what is and is not a pit bull? Is the breed even recognized by the AKC? I don't think so. So what if the dog is half pit bull (whatever that is) and half Rottweiler? Is that dog still banned? What if it is 25% pit bull and who could tell the difference between 50% and 25%. Just a big cluster if you ask me.

2) If bans such as this proposed ban became widespread and if they actually resulted in significantly fewer pit bulls (something I doubt), then what breed would become the new "thug" breed? The dog fighters and thugs who mistreat their dogs so they will be mean (and who like the "bad" dog as a status symbol or symbol of their manhood or whatever) will simply choose another breed. The reputation and quite possibly the breeding of this other breed will be affected adversely and it will be the new pit bull. When breed #2 is banned they will move on to the next breed. Where does it end?
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Most of this is due to understandable high emotions after the small child was mauled and killed by the 3 pit bulls. Mother and father of the child were divorced and the pits belonged to the boyfriend (or new husband). One was a recent gift to the mother from the boyfriend (new husband). A terrible situation.
    Tom Dorroh

Eric, I can't believe I read that whole thing. I have to agree with the final findings of the 2nd appeals court. Their findings seem very reasonable to me.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

You are forced to go into one of two fenced yards. In one yard are three pit bulls, in the other three Labrador retrievers. None of the dogs has noticed your presence and you must enter the yard immediately at which time the dogs are sure to become aware that you are there.

Which yard will it be?

Say what you want the Pits are more likely to kill you.

I don't support the ban on Pit Bulls by the way. I believe the owner of any pit that maims or kills a human should go to jail for at least one year. That doesn't include a simple bite, major injury or death. Let them decide if they want to risk it. If the dog is as cuddly as they say there should be no problem. I am willing to accept that stipulation on my Lab. Even the one I had before...He would bite your butt if you tried to get in the truck but that would have been it. 12 years he never bit but one person and they were asking for it.
    Last edited by Leddyman; 01-29-2009 at 11:02 PM.
    Terry Moseley
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

Michael Vick talk is he will be getting out soon does Thomasville want to make sure he doesn't settle there so, no pit bulls, no Vick.
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

The town I lived in previously, Wapello Iowa, has such a ban. Any dog resembling a pitbull is illegal to have inside city limits. There are good and bad dogs, of every breed. I do believe that a lot of there temperment comes from how they were raised and treated as a pup. There was a family in Wapello when I was a kid that had a pair of Chessies that just terrorized the whole town. He let them run free, and they made several attemps at attacking adults, but nothing serious ever happened. They had gotten into our barn once and killed every rabbit we had, tore the cages open and killed them all. Obviously something was done, as they disappeared one day.
    Proud home of:
    MHR Murphys Magnum of Walnut Creek "Maggie"
    MHR HRCH Murphys Chevy Bel Air "Chevy"

Strange county to consider banning dogs of any kind.

I know emotons run high in issues like this because people love thier pitts, BUT I live in a city that has had a pitt ban in effect for 10+ years now and let me tell you I sleep better at night knowing that when the gong goes off at the fire hall and I have to enter a house to assist in a medical mode or a smoke filled home that I will not run into a pitt bull. And not that this proves anything one way or another but in my last 8 years on the job and after 1000's of calls I have only once been scared by a dog and that was when I came face to face with a rottie in a smoke filled house on my hands and knees, big fella licked my facepiece and I carried him out.
    Misty Marsh Gun Dog Supplies is your source for Elsema remote release electronics, Dogtra, Sport Dog, Tri-Tronics, Armadillo foam, Dokken, Gunners Up wingers, Retriever Specalists, Alfa, Smartworks, and more. www.mistymarsh.com