The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a great analogy!

Default What a great analogy!

Wading through a jillion emails again, yielded this gem of reality. Enjoy!

UB

Ice Cream & The Election

From a teacher in the Nashville area.

Who worries about "the cow" when it is all about the "Ice Cream?

The most eye-opening civics lesson I ever had was while teaching third
    grade this year. The presidential election was heating up and some of the
    children showed an interest.

I decided we would have an election for a class president. We would choose our nominees. They would make a campaign speech and the class would vote. To simplify the process, candidates were nominated by other class members. We discussed what kinds of characteristics these students should have.

We got many nominations and from those, Jamie and Olivia were picked to run for the top spot. The class had done a great job in their selections. Both candidates were good kids.

I thought Jamie might have an advantage because he got lots of parental
    support. I had never met Olivia's parents.

The day arrived when they were to make their speeches.
    Jamie went first. He had specific ideas about how to make our class a
    better place. He ended by promising to do his very best. Everyone applauded.

He sat down and Olivia came to the podium. Her speech was concise. She said, "If you will vote for me, I will give you ice cream." She sat down. The
    class went wild. "Yes! Yes! We want ice cream." She surely could say
    more. She did not have to.

A discussion followed. How did she plan to pay for the ice cream? She wasn't sure. Would her parents buy it or would the class pay for it? She didn't know. The class really didn't care. All they were thinking about was ice cream. Jamie was forgotten. Olivia won by a landslide.

Every time Barack Obama opened his mouth he offered ice cream and fifty-two percent of the people reacted like nine year olds. They want ice cream.
    The other forty-eight percent of us know we're going to have to feed the cow and clean up the mess.
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Isn't that the truth!!!
    Matt Peters
    Topshelf Retrievers

Just read this out loud. My wife, 15 year old daughter, and I all agree!

Cheers,

Kevin
    "SR Isabel's Going for gold"
    "Kallie's Anatomy Of Grey"

Both lazy house pets untill you ask, "do you want to go play"!

And yet, when offered the apparent miracle of endless tax cuts and no cuts in service, Republicans vote feverishly in the belief, founded on who knows what, that they should be able to benefit without having to pay the bill. And thus we get our greatest deficits and the biggest increases in the national debt not from those tricky tax and spend liberals but from those good stalwart Republicans, Reagan and GWB. And when Bush 41 admitted that he had run out of smoke and mirrors and there were still bills to pay, he was abandoned and left to dangle slowly in the wind. Thanks to what GWB left behind, Obama will now break those deficit records. There may be some justification for this in the short term, but if he adopts the Republican mantra of deficit be damned, I hope he will get to retire to GWB's own ranch so we can at least save on security costs.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    miracle of tax cuts and no cuts in service, Republicans vote feverishly in the belief, founded on who knows what, that they should be able to benefit...
    Maybe because the Bush Tax Cut increased the total inflow of tax dollars to the government by 20%? Why did Bill Richardson of NM reduce tax in his state? To increase revenue? Tax cuts are stimulative!!!!!! Ever think that part of the GW deficit had anything to do with give and take negotiation?
    GY

The word "Politics," is derived from "Poly," meaning Many and from "Ticks," meaning Blood Sucking Parasites-Kinky Freidman.

Quote Originally Posted by greg ye View Post
    Maybe because the Bush Tax Cut increased the total inflow of tax dollars to the government by 20%? Why did Bill Richardson of NM reduce tax in his state? To increase revenue? Tax cuts are stimulative!!!!!! Ever think that part of the GW deficit had anything to do with give and take negotiation?
    Ah, the great supply side myth. If that particular perpetual motion machine actually worked, the best governments would have no taxes but would simply print money as needed to pay their bills, stimulating massive growth.

In a growing economy, tax revenues go up. Tax revenues would have gone up more without the cuts. When there is excess capacity in the economy, as exists during a recession, government deficits can help "prime the pump" and stimulate growth. In this case, if the deficits are eliminated once growth is restored, the taxes generated as a result of the economic growth can pay down the debt incurred priming the pump. However, if the deficit continues after the economy has begun to grow, those same deficits will produce inflation, forcing restrictive monetary policies to slow growth.

Permanent tax cuts do not make sense unless accompanied with permanent spending cuts. What seldom gets mentioned is that government spending, either for hard goods or for transfer payments such as tax "credits" where no taxes have been paid, work just as well as other tax cuts in stimulating growth or stimulating inflation.

I notice you haven't posted on this thread Jeff.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ad.php?t=35664

How do you like your pork?

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Quote Originally Posted by K G View Post
    I notice you haven't posted on this thread Jeff.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ad.php?t=35664

How do you like your pork?

kg
    My criteria for evaluating projects included in the the stimulus package (be they expenses or tax cuts) are:

• The item should be able to be done quickly -- probably lasting no more than 24 months from now.
    • It should be non-recurring in nature: no on-going operating subsidies and no permanent tax cuts.
    • The jobs created should be for skills that will be transferable when the project ends.
    • The project should produce recurring economic benefits in the future without recurring costs (i.e., it's a true investment project)
    There's is not enough information to make any judgments about the items in the posted list. I suspect that whatever is done will include a mix of good and bad. Hopefully the former will outweigh the latter but the jury's out.

What seldom gets mentioned is that government spending, either for hard goods or for transfer payments such as tax "credits" where no taxes have been paid, work just as well as other tax cuts in stimulating growth or stimulating inflation.
    Jimmy Carter would agree and we all know how that worked. See the thing you are missing is that we aren't saying no taxes we are saying as little taxes as needed to run the federal government, what the constitution outlines anyway. If the states want to spend spend spend they have that right but when they go bankrupt like most are now they will eventually realize that people don't pay into the tax system if they don't have money to buy things. The federal government does not have a constitutional right to take my money via taxes and give it to another person that does not pay any taxes. Whether it has been done or not is not the point, please point out where in the constitution does it state that it has the power to tax for welfare.

Quote Originally Posted by eildydar View Post
    Jimmy Carter would agree and we all know how that worked. See the thing you are missing is that we aren't saying no taxes we are saying as little taxes as needed to run the federal government, what the constitution outlines anyway. If the states want to spend spend spend they have that right but when they go bankrupt like most are now they will eventually realize that people don't pay into the tax system if they don't have money to buy things. The federal government does not have a constitutional right to take my money via taxes and give it to another person that does not pay any taxes. Whether it has been done or not is not the point, please point out where in the constitution does it state that it has the power to tax for welfare.
    Let me put the question a little differently. What makes you think the government doesn't have that power? The Constitution permits the government to levy taxes and to pass laws affecting inter-state commerce. The commerce clause has been interpreted very broadly since the country was founded. At the beginning of every bill you will find language stating the basis for the law. That will include language indicating how the law affects inter-state commerce. Given the mobility of people and goods between states, it is not very difficult.

The peak period of taxation in this country was, I believe, under Eisenhower. Since then, income tax rates have been reduced repeatedly by both parties. The first income tax charging those with higher incomes more than those with lower incomes was instituted in 1861 to help finance the Civil War. The first examples of governments using tax revenues to aid the poor are even older than that but the Federal government did not become directly involved on a systematic basis until the Depression both with surplus food distribution and with social security. "Welfare" as such remained a state responsibility until the 1960's when categorical aid programs were established serving the aged, the disabled, and families with dependent children. Interestingly, one of the factors that helped define this as a matter of inter-state concern was the practice of some states of buying bus tickets to send their poor to other states as a way of reducing welfare costs.

Article 1, section 8 of the Constitution provides that:

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States"

The key term here is "general Welfare".

section 8 concludes that:

"To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof."