The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: funny timing <gdg>

Banned

Default funny timing <gdg>

this was posted in a now infamous and closed thread - off topic from the thread but copterdoc said this:
    >>>>
    I tried training my first dog with a book, but he got frustrated because he couldn't turn the pages.

I put in a Lardy video and that was better, but since dogs aren't able to focus on a two dimensional image, he couldn't pick up on a lot of the material.
    >>>>

i am home laid up with the flu, and not 2 minutes after i read this my dog sat straight up and started growling at a wolf on tv - "dancing with wolves" is on CMT. growling! he growled again at a buffalo! this is just a 7 mo old pup that hasn't seen anything other than other labs his whole life.

back at about 4 months he sat up and growled at grizzly bears on a DiscoveryHD show, and abruptly quit growling but perked more interestingly at a close up shot of snowy owl flying. clearly saw the difference between a potential predator and prey.

either i have one heck of a smart dog or one heck of a great HD tv!

I would say smart dog and I am not biased just because our dogs have the same sire. lol
    Semper Fi
    Brent Keever
    Geaux Cajuns

Formerly known as: CajunMarineBBK

I don't have HD TV but my blm likes to watch dock diving, or anything with dogs in the show. He perks up and watches intently. He's partial to yellow labs for some reason.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

When I watch the Lardy series, I find he has better control of my dogs. From the TV they listen to him. With me in person it is hit or miss.
    Mark L.

I don't buy that dogs cant focus on a two dimensional image. I've always heard it and I haven't believed it in a long time. Some dogs can see orange too, which they aren't supposed to be able to see.

My labs have been able to focus on dogs, birds and other mammals on TV as yours did and I don't have HDTV. It isn't just the audio either, although they will certainly lock in on that.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinDawg View Post
    I don't buy that dogs cant focus on a two dimensional image. I've always heard it and I haven't believed it in a long time. Some dogs can see orange too, which they aren't supposed to be able to see.
    My labs have been able to focus on dogs, birds and other mammals on TV as yours did and I don't have HDTV. It isn't just the audio either, although they will certainly lock in on that.
    I've always questioned that too, because Stryke is known for picking up small orange cones for soccer drills.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

I don't know that they can specifically see the color orange, but orange objects are not necessarily hard for them to see IMO. I don't know if that makes any sense, so I'll give an example. My dog can see plastic orange bumpers MUCH better than he can see orange canvas bumpers. An orange canvas bumper laying in short grass is darn close to invisible to him. I think it is the difference in the way light is or is not reflected by the material. On a plastic bumper the light bounces off of it differently than it does off of canvas. So it may not be that they are seeing orange as much as they are seeing glare or reflection off of an object that happens to be orange. Also, of course orange flagging like we use for blinds at tests sometimes are visible to the dogs because of the same glare and also if they are moving around in the wind.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Corona can see the orange bumper just fine. She can not however see the railing on the deck cuz when she spins her head around she smacks her face on it! She is kind of a dork!!!
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    CH. Justa Gingersnap CGC - Ginger Shiba Inu

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Never say never . . . never say always . . . know when to say when.

I was watching the lardy DVD the other day and my blf ace was also watching very intently, then he trough bird instead of a bumper and all hell broke loose ace took off at the tv, then looked behind it, then ran into the room behind the tv, then ran up to the tv again and sat down to watch. later in the DVD mike said fetch and ace turned and dove onto a bumper that was on the floor about 10 feet away like she was getting a burn on #6 high, goofy dog, but i got some good entertainment from it. but for some reason the wife did not like the scratches on the hardwood floor.
    Duane
    MAGGIES CADILLAC JACK (RIP)
    JAZ
    ACES BLACKWATER EXPRESS

http://www.canvasworksincmn.com