• I would be afraid they would want to eat the birds after

5 10.20%
  • It's illegal and wont have any part of it

13 26.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you Hire Day Labor to work Trials

Default Would you Hire Day Labor to work Trials

I was just thinking about how to solve the lack of manpower to work menial jobs at Field Trials/ Hunt Tests and here in the southwest part of the country we have an overabundance of day laborers that will jump in the back of a pick up truck with just a wave of the hand. I am as big a proponent of closing up our borders as anyone on here but I have used day laborers to move furniture, clear brush and trees and even help paint. Would you or your club ever entertain the idea of hiring day laborers to work for your club.

This is not a political topic...
    Last edited by BonMallari; 02-05-2009 at 09:41 PM.
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by bonbonjovi View Post
    I was just thinking about how to solve the lack of manpower to work menial jobs at Field Trials/ Hunt Tests and here in the southwest part of the country we have an overabundance of day laborers that will jump in the back of a pick up truck with just a wave of the hand. I am as big a proponent of closing up our borders as anyone on here but I have used day laborers to move furniture, clear brush and trees and even help paint. Would you or your club ever entertain the idea of hiring day laborers
    No...but our small clubs here in NM, both AKC and HRC, have used Boy Scouts, 4-H, the NM Boys and Girls ranch, and most recently with great results, the MESA group (math, engineering, and science academy) from the local High School. To circumvent local laws pertaining to workmans comp ins. we do not pay the workers individually, but make a generous contribution to their program. I hear that last year our contribution made it possible for the MESA to purchase materials to enter several competitions. Bridge construction, as I remember.

JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Why is day labor illegal?

SM

I know a club that ended up short handed and used some day laborers. I believe they turned out to be pretty good workers (either that or they didn;t speak enough English to say they hated the work!). But I remember one big land quad in the am where there was a no bird and there was a brief delay while someone fluent in Spanish was located that could tell them to pick up their birds!

If the test/trial happens to be near an area where day laborers line up for work and you happen to be short handed that day, where else are you going to find labor to throw dead ducks all day?? I surely can't fault them and the laborers are grateful for the work. I guess it's not real politically correct now, but this was a few years ago. Not all the laborers that line up there are illegal either but some of them undoubtedly are. Not many speak English and those are usually the first ones hired.

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne Mehringer View Post
    Why is day labor illegal?

SM
    It isn't, as far as I know. But, here in NM, Workman's Compensation laws, insurance, etc. must be complied with, to be totally above board.

JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

We typically hire $300 - $1,500 worth of labor for trials and tests. Not the "day labor" that you are talking about but usually teenagers from the area. We pay them an hourly rate and consider them contractors. We have been advised to have both worker's compensation insurance and liability insurance for our events and carry both.

Day labor illegall? Please explain.

I have used the legal kind in the past, they are expencive, about $15.00 hr.

We use bird boy from Camp Shelby. They are in the Youth Challenge Program. They usually send us 20 to 25 kids and 2 Sargents. We have never had a problem and could not ask for more. Our cost per weekend runs about $700. The kids that are not in the field are picking up and keeping the grounds very clean. They fill our ice chests from the base every morning and provide lunches for the boys at that price. We try to feed them at our tailgate party if time permits. They have to be back around 7:00 PM.
    ________
    Amateur blowjob
    Last edited by Eddie Sullivan; 03-20-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Must have a hunting license to participate in a test or trial in North Carolina.
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"
    Broad Reach Smarty Pants

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH