The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you worry about the protein:fat ratio in treats?

Default Do you worry about the protein:fat ratio in treats?

I had to stop at the feed store and buy some new treats for 4-H. I bought the Natural Balance "sausage rolls" (for lack of a better word) because Gunner really likes them and Harleigh is still at the point where she has to have something really enticing to him. So in my absolute boredom I started reading the label. The ration is way different than the dog food, although this is supposed to be a "meal" for dogs. It's 11:6. (protien:fat)

I feed PPP which is a 30:20 ratio.

So, I started reading the package for the boring treats we give them and sure enough 10:6. My dogs don't get a ton of treats. We break a small crunchy bone into thirds 3-4 times a day, plus Gunner gets extra at 4-H. I feel kind of stupid asking, but as my habit is, I read everything, then worry. Am I worrying for no reason?
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

I don't think I'd be as concerned about the ratio as about the calories and adjust the amount of daily food accordingly

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I don't think I'd be as concerned about the ratio as about the calories and adjust the amount of daily food accordingly
    The dogs in general don't get many treats, and by the time I break them down, it's like the size of 3 kernels of dog food. Gunner on the other hand can handle a few extra calories, and he's the only dog in the club that can eat dinner right before 4-H and still care about treats. (Did I mention he's the only lab?) He's a scrawny, bottomless pit.

Thanks for easing my mind too.
    Joni
    I don't wear black because it makes me look slim, I wear black because it hides the dog hair.

My dogs each get 2-3 treats a day. They get the biscuts or if I have them some form of the "meat" treats. I don't worry about nor have I ever looked at the fat content. They are in the yard all day when it is warm enough and they run around and play and bark at pretty much anything including the wind (it seems anyway). I think my neighbors think they are all named shut the he!! up! With the little amount you are feeding them I wouldn't worry about it!
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

I give my dogs hot dogs as training treats. Lots of 'em! Hasn't killed either one of us yet (I keep them in my mouth during obedience training sessions).

Lisa
    "Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." - Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets

http://www.chessieinfo.net

Quote Originally Posted by 1st retriever View Post
    My dogs each get 2-3 treats a day. They get the biscuts or if I have them some form of the "meat" treats. I don't worry about nor have I ever looked at the fat content. They are in the yard all day when it is warm enough and they run around and play and bark at pretty much anything including the wind (it seems anyway). I think my neighbors think they are all named shut the he!! up! With the little amount you are feeding them I wouldn't worry about it!
    My neighbors think my dogs are named "Which one are you?" because whenever I'm going to yell they're in the shadows and I can't tell chocolate from black. Plus, I'm losing my mind.
    Joni

Our dogs get lots of treats: when dad leaves for work, whenever they give mom the cute look, bedtime, etc. It still isn't enough to make a big difference probably. I don't worry about the macros in the treats as much as the ingredients. We keep away from the same stuff as we do in food (wheat, corn), stuff imported from China, etc..

We also use hot dogs for obedience and for tracking. They get some other biscuit types as well. We're more careful on the amount of treats during the winter when their activity level is down than in the summer. Does anyone know the protein/fat ratio for poopsicles? They get way too many of those.

Hal

Like with humans, its OK to have treats. Just be sure to account for it when you feed.
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

Even though my Sadie is allergic to grains, she gets a few Charley Bears during the day...they're only 3 calories each, and as active as she normally is I don't worry about the calories at all.

However, the preferred treats are Innova EVO biscuits (they're 30/20 just like her food) and those little chicken jerky discs...Sadie doesn't get enough of them to make a huge difference, either, but I do watch her weight and reduce the treats and/or food quantity accordingly.

I'm more concerned about the fact that the chicken jerky things are made in China...I haven't heard anything about any problems with them, but has anyone else? One of the reasons I like them is that I can carry a few in my pocket without them winding up like the biscuits: ground up, mashed up, crumbled up cookie that turns to cement in the bottom of your pocket when you wash your jeans!