The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Great Phone Call From Kabul, Afghanistan

Default Great Phone Call From Kabul, Afghanistan

This a.m. I was sitting in a meeting when my cell phone went off, and a strange number appeared.

It was my best friend from college, calling to tell me he was OK. Don knew I would have seen the news, that there had been another bombing in Kabul. This time he was half mile away. In January, it was about 100 yards.

Don was in the military forever, it seems. He retired last March, only to join a company to continue training others in the stuff he knows so well. Once someone is in the service for that long, it's hard to give up that life style.

To say he is my best friend is an understatement. We've been through a ton of stuff together, no one ever passing judgment on the other - just being supportive. In college, I used to go visit the family farm in Allegan Mi with him.

My continued prayers for his safety, and the safety of all of those Americans in Afganistan. The weather is starting to break there, which will only lead to more fighting.
    Last edited by JusticeDog; 02-11-2009 at 02:34 PM.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Senior Member Vicki Worthington's Avatar

Add mine to yours Susan!
    Do Something! Lead, Follow, or Get Out of The Way

A lot of people forget or do not know that there are a lot of people working in hostile countries that are not active duty servicemen. The job they do is just as important as those who are active duty. My nephew is headed back over for a third time, once with the army and twice now for a private “intelligence company”. Tell you friend thanks for all he does and to stay safe
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    A lot of people forget or do not know that there are a lot of people working in hostile countries that are not active duty servicemen. The job they do is just as important as those who are active duty. My nephew is headed back over for a third time, once with the army and twice now for a private “intelligence company”. Tell you friend thanks for all he does and to stay safe
    Very true. The conditions are something else. For 4 days, no water in the house he lives in. They dig up at the yard at night to fix it (not something I would be comfortable with). Now, no electric, so again, no water.

It was very weird to hear him say, "I have to put the phone down a minute so I can put on my bullet-proof vest." Yipes!
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Amen -- to all the serve our country......

(some of you already know this-- But---
    My son and son-in-law are both there-together--- near Kandahar.)

"things continue to heat up" ---per my son.

We get to communicate by Afghan. Cell phone and the internet - on average once a week. When it is cleared to communicate.

Isn't is great to hear from friends and family - 1/2 the world away. Makes it a very small world. And Oh by the way - "They(the enemy) are trying to Kill US".

Attributed to Ben Franklin-
    "Don't Argue with Stupid People..... They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid."

"Arguing with Idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to sh$t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."