RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

New hidden gun laws

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JDogger 
#1 ·
I guess this will get moved, but I think this is not as much politics as something that belongs in the general fourm

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102
Springfield, VA 22151
Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
http://www.gunowners.org

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 Lost in all the news of the massive bailout bill that just passed the Senate is another enormous bill, one that increases federal control ofpublic and private land. Of particular concern to gun owners is that the bill, S. 22, will greatly expand the amount of land controlled by the National ParkService. NPS land is currently subject to a gun ban.
While President Bush took steps in the waning days of his presidency to reverse the ban, the new regulations apply to persons who carry aconcealed firearm with a permit. Non-permit holders and open carry arenot explicitly addressed. Another eyebrow-raising aspect of this bill is that it is actually a compilation of over 150 separate pieces of legislation that never passed out of Congress on their own merits. Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) successfully held up over 100 of these bills, until anti-gun Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid rolled all of the bills into one so-called Coburn Omnibus and forced it through the Senate in January on a vote of 73-21.
As the House prepares to take up the bill, the Democrat leadership has taken procedural steps to ensure that the measure cannot be amended or altered in any way. That means that if it passes the House, it goes right to President Obama's desk, where it will be signed into law. Here are a few of the more troubling aspects of the bill:
* It authorizes the federal government to buy private land adjacent to national parks and trails. Such land would be controlled by the NPS,and thus be subject to the gun ban.
* The bill federalizes the Washington-Rochambeau Route, a 650 mile trail that stretches from Rhode Island to Virginia and includes sections of major thoroughfares such as Interstate 95 and U.S. Route 1, and passes through cities like Boston and Philadelphia. The entire trail would fal lunder the NPS and the gun ban.
* The National Landscape Conservation System groups together millions of acres of federal land and places it under one new umbrella agency. The NLCS was created during the Clinton administration and run administratively since then. S. 22 will codify the system, which raises concerns for hunters and sportsmen. Much of this land is consolidated from the BLM and the Forest Service, which have always allowed hunting and recreational shooting. It is unclear what rules will be promulgated by the new agency and if gun owners' rights will be protected.
* S. 22 strips out small concessions won by pro-gunners in the House last year that would allow state and local law to govern firearms possession and hunting on certain land.
* S.22 allows for NO amendments. Pro-gun members who want to offer an amendment to fully repeal the NPS gun ban are prevented from doing so by the anti-gun leadership. The full House of Representatives is scheduled to vote on the bill this Wednesday or Thursday. Unless the NPS gun ban is repealed and the rights of gun owners areprotected, Gun Owners of America opposes the bill in its entirety.
ACTION: Please urge your Representative to repeal the NPS gun ban in S.22, or to vote against the entire bill. You can go to the Gun Owners Legislative Action Center at http://capwiz.com/gunowners/home/ to sendyour Representative the pre-written e-mail message below.
––––- Prewritten Letter ––––-
Dear Representative: I urge you to oppose S. 22, a bill that will greatly expand the amount of land controlled by the National Park Service (NPS). NPS land is currently subject to a gun ban. While President Bush took steps in the waning days of his presidency to reverse the ban, the new regulations apply to persons who carry a concealed firearm with a permit. Non-permit holders and open carry are not explicitly addressed. Which is why S. 22 raises so many concerns:
* It authorizes the federal government to buy private land adjacent to national parks and trails. Such land would be controlled by the NPS,and thus be subject to the gun ban.
* The bill federalizes the Washington-Rochambeau Route, a 650 mile trail, and places it under the NPS gun ban.
* S. 22 will codify the National Landscape Conservation System, which raises concerns for hunters and sportsmen. Much of this land is consolidated from the BLM and the Forest Service, which have always allowed hunting and recreational shooting. It is unclear what rules will be promulgated by the new agency and if gun owners' rights will beprotected.
* S. 22 also strips out small concessions which were won in the House last year that would allow state and local law to govern firearms possession and hunting on certain land. But the anti-gun Houseleadership is preventing any amendments to fully repeal the NPS gun ban.
If these concerns are not corrected in S. 22, I would strongly urge youto vote against it. Thank you

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the info! I just hope people read it and think about what the Dems are trying to do.

I just hope that all of the Obama fans read this and think about the "change" that they voted for! Oh change is coming that's for sure..... Of course those same people will be saying that it was Bush's fault that Obama took away their guns.

#3 ·
I agree with you, but I don't see it as an us or them thing. Even BHO supporters who are sportsmen, hunters, FT/HT'er, or gun owners should be able to agree that this is wrong and an effort to slide new gun laws by in an underhanded way. I think everyone should be outraged regardless of political affiliations.
Call a spade a spade regards

#4 ·
Bet this thread gets moved within 2 more posts.
What makes you think anyone will ever read
the bill? Our representatives did not even read
the bill which will flush 800 trillion dolars down
the crapper.

Livin In The Real World

#5 ·
If it gets moved it will be because of people making it a political isssue rather than addressing it as gun owners and sportsman's issue.

I copied the provided pre-written letter and sent them to my US Representatives. For good measure I sent them to both Senators as well.

JD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.