The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: Change We Will GET

  1. #1
    Senior Member Raymond Little's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Lake Charles/Grand Chenier La
    Posts
    1,822

    Cool Change We Will GET

    Stopped at the local GetITANDGO for gas and milk tonight.
    The clerk told me that starting in April cigarettes will increase
    in price from $4.00 per pack to $6.00. I asked him if ObomoS
    picture would be printed on the Kool Filter KINGS. Na, most
    of the poor SOB'S that voted for him will believe it's the
    Conservative Devil that caused them smokes to increase in
    price. RIGHT??????????????


    Stockin Up Now

  2. #2
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,533

    Default

    Well heck, we getting ready to give everybody money so they can afford $6. a pack!
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

  3. #3
    Senior Member Raymond Little's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Lake Charles/Grand Chenier La
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Actually Franco, nobody gets money until 2010. That's the big magic trick of the
    Give Away, no money in 2009, everyone filling a return for 2009 will get a tax credit.
    Yes even the SOB's that don't work will finally have a reason to use H&R Block.
    This is the main reason BARAAAAAAAK's Stimlus Plan will never work, gots to have
    cash to "Prime da Pump". Do you really think I am going to go out and buy a set of
    24"'s and Pimp the Z-71 based on a "TAX CREDIK"??? Oh, just wait until April of
    2010 though, the "RENT TO OWN" stores will rake it in. Waitin to get laid off so I
    will be eligible to collect an extra $25.00 per week on my unemployment check,
    that's in there also. Just think about all the stuff you can buy with $25.00 per week?
    Only problem I see that we may have down here is that all the Yankees will be
    moving south. Again!

    Brotha Can You Spare A C Note?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,533

    Default

    The only reason we have this bill is because the Dems want to appear to be fixing everything. They have to appear to be getting something done. I will say this for them, they are extremly crafty at manipulating the media. The O Team always has at least one plant(person) in the audience that shifts attention away from any real probing questions.
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

  5. #5
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R Little View Post
    Stopped at the local GetITANDGO for gas and milk tonight.
    The clerk told me that starting in April cigarettes will increase
    in price from $4.00 per pack to $6.00. I asked him if ObomoS
    picture would be printed on the Kool Filter KINGS. Na, most
    of the poor SOB'S that voted for him will believe it's the
    Conservative Devil that caused them smokes to increase in
    price. RIGHT??????????????


    Stockin Up Now
    Are you suggesting it's going up because of the $0.39/pack federal tax?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Booty View Post
    The only reason we have this bill is because the Dems want to appear to be fixing everything. They have to appear to be getting something done. I will say this for them, they are extremly crafty at manipulating the media. The O Team always has at least one plant(person) in the audience that shifts attention away from any real probing questions.
    This video clearly shows that George Bush tried to warn Congress starting in 2001, that this economic crisis was coming, if something was not done. But congress refused to listen, along with the arrogant, Congressman Barney Frank.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMnSp4qEXNM&NR=1
    Caroway's Rocky Mountain Gunner
    Huntersbest Dark Beauty - "Lyla"

  7. #7
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    Are you suggesting it's going up because of the $0.39/pack federal tax?
    The federal cig tax is going up from $0.39 to $1.0066 effective
    March 31, 2009.
    It is suposed to pay for the SCHIP welfare stuff. Only problem is 22 million people would need to START smoking for it to cover the cost of this expanded welfare.

  8. #8
    Senior Member YardleyLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    6,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    The federal cig tax is going up from $0.39 to $1.0066 effective
    March 31, 2009.
    It is suposed to pay for the SCHIP welfare stuff. Only problem is 22 million people would need to START smoking for it to cover the cost of this expanded welfare.
    60 cents doesn't exactly explain a $2/pack price increase. In 1960, Federal excise taxes equaled 47% of the price charged by wholesalers per pack. Today they represent 15% of the wholesale price. As a former smoker, i don't like self righteous "sin taxes" on cigarettes or alcohol. However, the Federal taxes have not been a significant cause for changes in cigarette prices over the last 40 years. The same cannot be said of state and local taxes.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Julie R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Orlean VA
    Posts
    2,829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    60 cents doesn't exactly explain a $2/pack price increase. In 1960, Federal excise taxes equaled 47% of the price charged by wholesalers per pack. Today they represent 15% of the wholesale price. As a former smoker, i don't like self righteous "sin taxes" on cigarettes or alcohol. However, the Federal taxes have not been a significant cause for changes in cigarette prices over the last 40 years. The same cannot be said of state and local taxes.
    Jeff, I agree (finally we agree on something! ) I don't smoke any more, either but the sin tax on cigarettes always bothered me. It's not like the money's used to keep teens from starting, help smokers quit and/or help those debilitated by emphysema and other smoking related diseases. Not to mention the windfalls from the massive tobacco company settlements--billions paid out with very little of that used for smoking related programs. I'm surprised the libs milk the cigarette cash cow with such a vengeance, this is one tax that definitely hits minorities and the poor hardest.

  10. #10
    Senior Member luvmylabs23139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,748

    Default

    Here's what the dems did. They increased the federal tax on cigs as part of their expansion of SCHIP. They claimed that the increased cig tax will pay for the cost of the expansion of SCHIP. However, it will not even come close to paying for it, so smoker or not you will be paying for expanded welfare.

Similar Threads

  1. Name Change Push!
    By Chris Atkinson in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 331
    Last Post: 07-27-2014, 03:05 PM
  2. So much for change......
    By TXduckdog in forum POTUS Place - For those who talk Politics in the Gallery!
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-25-2009, 11:22 AM
  3. More change we can believe in
    By Matt McKenzie in forum POTUS Place - For those who talk Politics in the Gallery!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2009, 12:43 PM
  4. Change? Really??????
    By K G in forum POTUS Place - For those who talk Politics in the Gallery!
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-27-2008, 09:32 AM
  5. Have you ever had someone change...
    By SMS in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-20-2008, 09:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •