The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Stock Market

Quote Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
    My broker explained it this way: When Kmart or a car dealer has a sale, people flock to buy at the discounted price. When Wall Street has a sale, people run away! WallStreet has been having a clearance sale, with everything up to 50% off. I went shopping, but wish I'd bought more!
    I went shopping too, but I wish I had the guts to go all-in...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Not me, I have my life savings in a Money Market account and Real Estate.

I wouldn't touch the stock market with a 100 foot pole.
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

My broker explained it this way: When Kmart or a car dealer has a sale, people flock to buy at the discounted price. When Wall Street has a sale, people run away! WallStreet has been having a clearance sale, with everything up to 50% off. I went shopping, but wish I'd bought more!
    Tell your broker that Kmart is out of business and Car Dealers have sales every week and they are still hurting to sell new vehicles.
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

May 1, 1930..."While the crash only took place six months ago, I am convinced we have now passed the worst and with continued unity of effort we shall rapidly recover" - President Hoover.

June 29, 1930..."The worst is over without a doubt" - James J. Davis, Secretary of Labor

June 9, 1931..."The depression has ended" - Dr. Julius Klein, Assistant Secretary of Commerce.

I actually made some money on AIG and Freddie Mac. That was pure gambling. The part that I bought at rock bottom made all of the difference. If I hadn't bought at rock bottom I would have still been down. There is a post on here where I am asking whether or not Freddie Mac was a good buy at .25. I personally think the stock is worthless but it did go up to 2.50, which is 10x or 1,000 percent.

I have some picks that I was trying to buy low that are still down. Up for the year, but still down from where I bought them. Some may turn out to be value traps.

It is definitely a matter of timing, and if someone successfully timed the buttom they were simply lucky. That is not to say that someone that missed the bottom will not still come out ahead. I tried to time the bottom, but bought too early, and was tapped out when the bottom fell out.

I read something interesting recently that asked whether or not someone would place a bet of $100,000 on a coin toss where winning would net 10x that amount. It went on to say what happens if the bet is lowered with the same odds. I thought that was interesting but granted I go for some books that are easy reading.
    Last edited by DL; 10-12-2009 at 03:00 PM.

Not me, I have my life savings in a Money Market account and Real Estate.

I wouldn't touch the stock market with a 100 foot pole.
    Boy, real estate sure has saved your ass

As the stock market has gone up 60% from the March lows.

Quote Originally Posted by junfan68 View Post
    Boy, real estate sure has saved your ass

As the stock market has gone up 60% from the March lows.
    I'm a long term investor and I will feel very badly for those caught owning stocks when the stock market tanks.

The Obama Economy is nothing more than Smoke and Mirrors. We can't borrow the money we've been borrowing and continue to print money and not have it catch up with us.

The Obama Economy is nothing more than Smoke and Mirrors. We can't borrow the money we've been borrowing and continue to print money and not have it catch up with us.

I agree with you for the most part. But I'm not gonna sit here, pound my fist in the sand, and keep cursing him when I can't do anything about it. But I am gonna try to make money off the SOB, long or short, whatever it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Tell your broker that Kmart is out of business and Car Dealers have sales every week and they are still hurting to sell new vehicles.
    No thanks. I'm doing fine, as are Kmart and Taylor Ford.

Our economy has been smoke and mirrors ever since we lost our manufacturing base.
    God Bless PFC Jamie Harkness. The US Army's newest PFC, but still our neighbor's little girl!

No thanks. I'm doing fine, as are Kmart and Taylor Ford.

Our economy has been smoke and mirrors ever since we lost our manufacturing base.
    Smoke and mirrors may get worse if we move to IFRS instead of GAAP.
    Terry Britton, P.E.

Engineers believe that if it isn't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet.