The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Timing on CC question

Default Timing on CC question

So we are on the 4th day of CC since receiving our new and now functioning collar. 3 days of sit and things were going fine. Short sessions 7-10 burns good stable response, dog started lagging at heel.

We started here yesterday and I thought he was flaring the lead, to avoid stepping on it. Today it became obvious that the first step was hot for him and he was flaring that first step.

I believe that there are two reasons. 1. bad timing on here, ie. too late on the transmitter and the burn should come before he has had a chance to take that first step. OR possibly AND, 2. He didn't understand that the burn was coming from me on sit and thinks it must be something in the ground.

Any help would be appreciated. How do YOU either deal with or avoid in the first place flaring on here with a burn during CC.
    Terry Moseley
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

Keep in mind with a ecollar you can create hot spots for the dog. You can use that method to your advantage such as water entry/exit de-cheating. If you have been burning him at your heal side he may now associate that area as a hot spot to avoid, thus the potential lag. If he is responding well to the sit command, then you can back off the -e-. Give him alot of encouragement to stay at heal. Also you can also use another form of pressure like the slip chain to get him to not lag.

Let me try to be a little more clear. We got the lag during sit which was mostly at my side and some remote, but not much. We started here yesterday which is the dog sitting at a remote sit. Maybe 15 feet away and you say here-burn-here and bring the dog to a front finish. The idea is to get the dog to give you a snappy return on here to a front finish.

I have created a hot spot on the first step toward me. Doesn't matter what location, we tried it in two places, same result. He flares the first step. I got it straightened out with the check cord and choke collar, but as soon as I introduce the e-collar he starts to flare that first step. So with that in mind back to the original question.
    Terry Moseley
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

You keep refering to burn. If you are new with ecollar you should be very cautious of that. What is your collar set on, should only be at a setting where a dog will twitch a little when you stimulate him. If more then that you are rushing things and could be doing damage to long term training goals. On a TT it usually is not above a 3 or 4 low. Also be sure collar is on securely, should be tight enough that 2 fingers are snug under the collar. If too loose will not get contact suffucient for consistancy in your results and training. Bud

I am using a sportdog collar. The highest setting is 8 we haven't been above a 6 and for most of the time we are on 4. The collar is snug. I am not burning him excessively. I have the Lardy dvd. I didn't see this particular behavior develop and I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.

When I give the here command the dogs first step is to his left. around the spot immediately in front of him. Then he comes straight to me. I am pretty sure it is a timing issue. I am pretty sure I was late with the correction on the first day and he associated the first step with the burn. I am willing to entertain the notion that it could be something else if anyone thinks they have seen this before and has worked through it I would love to hear it.

We have a training day on Sat. with the Atlanta RC so maybe someone there can help.

Thank you all SOOOOOO much for the tons of responses.

Not nearly as popular as I should be regards,
    Terry Moseley
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

1) i had dog wear collar during training for 3 wks prior to turning it on
    2) i use low level NICK not a BURN for CC.

Leddy
    Sent you a PM
    Duckworth Retrievers

I had the same problem. I had to revisit CC to solve. it.
    Try a lower level, I ended up at a 1 on a TT 500 LS which, at times is barely preceptible - you have to sometimes look hard to notice a reaction. I did lots of here's with the low 1 and long line. Then moved up to med and ended up with a stable response. I also went with the Dobbs timing but am following a different program which advocates different timing. Things have worked out very nicely. A high 1 gets my dogs attention very nicely. So my dog is a 1.