The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: What do you participate in, and why?

Voters
311. You may not vote on this poll
  • AKC Field Trial Events only?

48 15.43%
  • AKC Hunt Test Events only?

42 13.50%
  • Both AKC FT and HT Events

83 26.69%
  • UKC Hunt Test Events?

29 9.32%
  • Both UKC and AKC Events?

109 35.05%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you participate in?

Default What do you participate in?

What do you participate in, and why?

a) AKC FT only
    b) AKC HT only
    c) Both AKC FT & HT
    d) UKC only
    e) Both UKC and AKC events
    Attributed to Ben Franklin-
    "Don't Argue with Stupid People..... They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid."

"Arguing with Idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to sh$t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

Both AKC hunt tests and NAHRA Field Tests

so far only ukc hunt tests but might try some akc hunt tests this year

NAHRA & help our club put on an AKC/HT. I used to help a nearby club put on FTs and ran lots of HRC in the past. (Didn't vote, 'cause choice not there.)
    I might add that I like the training more than the gaming. NAHRA's program is more complete for my all-around hunting goals and difficult enough to test the training. I've run a few FTs and enjoyed some small quals, but I just don't get a kick out of "competing" and the extreme tests it takes to sort that out. (And I certainly don't object to those who do.) I might run a couple of quals a year, but I've gotten critical remarks about my dogs being too old for that in the past. (Not that I've taken too many of their ribbons - or would enjoy doing so. We're in it for the birds....)
    Last edited by Keith Stroyan; 02-15-2009 at 08:08 AM.

UKC so far, just getting started in the training-hunt test gig

This poll needs to include few more options to include nahra and combos including nahra to really get a true answer. I've run and judged hrc a bit but have lost my desire to run or judge them anymore, pretty dissapointed by the program. I'm a nahra guy at heart... I'm with Keith on this one..I did not vote.... nahra produces one hell of a hunting dog, a total package hunting dog. I can hunt anything I choose to with a nahra dog. ducks, geese as well as really excelling at upland game. I help out at our clubs akc test but have no desire at all to run that game, pretty much a concept game driven by the MN. I have and probably will run in some sanctioned FT and maybe a licensed FT with my new pup. Jim
    The mightiest oak was once a small nut that stood its ground

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Person View Post
    ...I've run and judged hrc a bit but have lost my desire to run or judge them anymore, pretty dissapointed by the program...
    Jim

What about the program has you disappointed?

If you want, send me a PM.
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Mr Hoggart did not include dog shows, SRS, or agility, perhaps he is not interested in that data. Every poll is not necessarily for everyone.

Just sayin.

NAHRA, primarily with Spokane Bird Dog Assoc. w/a couple AKC HT's thrown in since North ID RC got going again..
    Also looking forward to checking out/trying HRC when the new club gets going up here, & possiblity of FT's w/ pup
    Did not vote.
    Last edited by BrianW; 02-15-2009 at 09:36 AM.

I have ran everything that is on the poll. Have never ran a NAHRA event because there are none in this area. Even if there was I don't have time to run another venue.

For a pure hunting dog my opinion is to train for HRC. The shots coming from the handler replicate my "days hunt" better than the other venues. Having a dog that is watching where the gun is pointing and swinging with you when you switch targets saves a lot of handling. Now if I could only get the ducks to decoy while sitting on an orange bucket!!!

I like the technical marks from AKC because they really test my training. Especially the minor stakes of the field trials. I will do it all while I can but will always run HRC events.

Mark L.
    Last edited by fishduck; 02-15-2009 at 09:40 AM. Reason: it occurred to me that NHRA was the national hot rod association