The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor manners and poor marshalling at retriever events

Default Poor manners and poor marshalling at retriever events

A recent thread made me realize that 2 things cause most of the hard feelings at retriever events.

1: Poor manners. This we will always have and there is nothing to be done about it.

2: Poor Marshalling. This is something we can help. Here are some things I think you need to be competant marshalling an event.

a: A list of equipment needed at the stake. This should come from the club or whoever marshalled the stake last year. One thing often overlooked in an HRC water test is WD-40 or gun oil. Somehow mud always gets in the 870 causing it to jam.

b: Some reliable method of communication between all the stake marshalls. Don't find out there is no cell phone coverage the day of the event.

c: A list of multistake handlers so they can be fast tracked at each stake.

d: The head marshall at headquarters should divide the multistake handlers between the stakes. That way they can run at the beginning of the running order and not all be lined up Master or Finished or the Open.

e: A bird technician meeting as early and as detailed as possible to try to minimize no birds.

Most of these ideas came from the other thread and I think are very positive steps towards marshalling a smooth event. There is a lot of experience on this board and I think your ideas on how to improve the marshalling at an event would go a long ways towards reducing conflicts.

Mark L.

If you do searches here, you will find many posts on this subject.
    Retrievers Online has had several articles over the years on this subjuct.
    <--- Dooey, MH
    MHR Duckmates Fly Guy MH 05/17/94 - 07/17/08 "Flyboy"
    Candlewood Court Magician JH 1/31/02 - 8/2/12 "Magic Man"

Richard

Marshals are usually a problem to get in our area. Most of our events are small and we end up having to pay birdboys, and search hard and long for judges, having a dedicated marshall is a luxury. In many of our events we end up having contestants "self marshal" their own events. The event chair is usually responsible for a lot of the marshal duities. Bud

Poor manners. This we will always have and there is nothing to be done about it.
    At first reading I thought that you meant the line manners of the dogs but I'm taking it that the complaint is about the humans.

If you are meeting deliberate rudeness there is something to be done; I certainly don't think you should swallow it.

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

The rudeness will be excepted as long as some people are treated differently than others. Just like dog abuse, some people will never be reported because of who they are.

As to the marshalling problem; I have been on all 3 sides of this problem; as handler, as judge and as club worker. Most clubs seem to feel that the marshall's job is to take birds from the judge and announce the next dog's number. This leaves the running of the test to the judges, who are suppose to be judging. As a judge, I have had to replace gunners, bird throwers, get ammo out, rebird, get test broken down and next one set up and in general run the test. If you read the rules, it clearly states that the marshall is in charge of the running of the test, except in matters of judging dogs. The "marshalls" clearly had no idea of what to do. No blame to them as they were probably just handed a radio and told to take birds. When I marshall, I really do run the test. Judges get to judge dogs, not haul equipment. Our club made up lists of jobs like what a marshall is expected to do, what a steward is expected to do, equipment chairperson, bird marshall, etc. We also try to pair inexperienced people with experienced ones so no one is overwhelmed. I realize with the worker shortage most clubs have, it is not always possible or practicle to have a dedicated marhsall, but in saying that I also know that having a good marshall can make or break your test, just like good or bad gunners do.
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

I'd like to see dog clubs take a more proactive role in teaching handlers what is expected of them when they are at an event. Often at the AKC Hunting Tests you have people at the Junior who are at their first event. They don't have a clue of what is going on and don't realize it is their responsibility to report to the Stake's Marshall and their responsibility to get themselves to the line when the Marshal calls their dog's number. They don't know to check in with Marshal and if they leave the stake, they don't know to tell the Marshal they are leaving. Quite often the handler is taking a nap in his/her vehicle or off watching the Master or Senior and have the expectation that the Marshal will come and get them. I also see this with more experienced handlers who hang out at the Master, and don't check in at other stakes and don't get themselves to the other stakes to run in a timely manner--and they know better.

Field trial is much the same with handlers hanging out at the Open when they should be running their "early number" dog at the Am or the Q.

Being a Marshal is a good way to meet people but it can also be a difficult job--sort of like herding cats.

It takes a club person running between stakes or the ability to call other stakes to find people and get them where they need to be in order to run.

Overall, I feel that clubs should do more to educate members, and people should be more responsible for themselves at trials/tests and not expect others to babysit them.
    Last edited by HiRollerlabs; 02-15-2009 at 07:38 PM.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

Hearding Cats !!!!!! That is a new one on this ole faut.Very cool.......

Transchoptankia, DEMOCRATIC Peoples Republic of Maryland

Part of the problem with marshalling is experience. I remember my first time marshalling at a derby, nobody really gave me a clue what to do, so blissfully ignorant of the way field trials actually worked I am looking for dog #1 to run first( I started in obedience where #1 DOES usually go first) Thankfully Junnie Harris a pro trainer took time to let me know that I should grab whoever was there and keep dogs coming to the line in any order I could establish.
    Bob Gutermuth
    Canvasback Chesapeakes
    ROLL TIDE!

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dufour View Post
    Hearding Cats !!!!!! That is a new one on this ole faut.Very cool.......
    It's also used to describe little kids who are learning to play soccer or T-ball or any other sport where they run the wrong way and score at the wrong goal.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

i am a ukc judge and my wife marshalls for me so it works out pretty well