RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Would you buy a pup on limited registration?

Poll: Would You Buy A Pup On Limited Registration?

2K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  DoubleHaul 
#1 ·
I was wondering how many of us would consider purchasing a pup on limited registration.

I would not even consider it. To me it comes down to trust. Purchasing a pup requires trust on the part of the buyer and the seller. If the breeder does not trust me to do the "right" thing for my pup, why should I trust the breeder? If I were to have a litter in the future and I felt that I could not trust a prospective buyer, I would not sell them a pup. I have never liked pre-nups, paying before you pump, and I definitely do not like limited registration. I would purchase a "lesser" quality pup from a breeder I trust before I would buy a FC x FC from a breeder that I did not.

Al

#2 ·
Under the right circumstances, yes I would but I would prefer full reg.

#3 ·
yes - I see no problem with buying a LR pup from a breeder who would lift the LR when I/they determined the dog was breedable (passing health tests, and working standards and/or conformation standards)...

When I breed a litter, all puppies will be sold on LR. LR will lifted at 2 yrs of age, based upon above listed criteria.

Juli

#4 ·
It really doesn't matter to me as I have no plans to breed dogs, and I would "just say no" to the neighbor who might want to give me $500 to breed my lab to her nice poodle anyway;)

I voted for "yes I would" because it really is a non issue for me. I also live in one of those communities that have restrictions, because I realize that the restrictions actually protect value by maintaining the appearance/atmosphere of the neighborhood, hopefully resulting in a higher sales price when I can't stand it anymore:p

#5 ·
#6 ·
If the little baskird had a coupon redeemable for one National Field Championship duct taped to her forhead- you bet your bippy I would agree to a LR. We will have to negotiate if the coupon is for less.

Everything has a price regards

Bubba

#9 ·
I live in Belgium and we do not have limited registration and I would not consider it either. I breed myself (field goldens out of american lines) and I do everything possible to breed a healthy dog (clearances of hips, eyes and now prcd-pra) and character and hope that you have done enough, but then something new or old shows up. You just can't do it all. There is too much genetics involved and at a certain point, what is the price to ask for a puppy with all clearances and then it still is not a garantee for no problems. Look at the human race!!!How many genetic problems don't we have there.
Let's take care of those first.
Boukje

Half Moon Destiny of Topbrass
Whispering Oaks Dutch Blue
Whispering Oaks Dickens
Whispering Oaks Golden Paws

#10 ·
I sell all my pups with full registration. I was thinking about changing this and this is why. I had sold a pup to some local people that used him as a stud at one year of age. Not having any of the health clearences done.

If I sold a pup without full registration I would change that when the new owner gets the clearences done. That is the only why I can think of not having this happen again.

#11 ·
I would not buy a pup on a limited registration, but my reasons are probably different than the majority of posters on this forum. I would be buying a pup as a show/performance/breeding prospect and would not be able to show a pup on a LR. I would buy on a co-ownership with an acceptable agreement if it was a pup from lines I really wanted and that was what was required by the breeder. I have had Labs since 1979 and during those 30 years I have only bred 8 litters out of 5 different females. The females I bred had all their health clearances and multiple performance titles and/or show points so I do not consider myself the average puppy buyer.

Sally Berry

#13 ·
It would depend upon how badly I wanted a pup from that particular breeding, and if the objectives of the breeder were compatible with my objectives for obtaining the pup.

Most people would like me to get a pup from their litter because they know it will get every chance to succeed in FTs. I have never been asked to accept LR.

#14 ·
It would depend upon how badly I wanted a pup from that particular breeding, and if the objectives of the breeder were compatible with my objectives for obtaining the pup.
Same here. I am a golden guy and it seems to be much more common in goldens, probably because they are fewer and farther between. The right breeding, if I couldn't convince the breeder to give me a full, I would probably do it.

I have thought about getting a lab. In that case, I probably would not deal with it. There are so many excellent litters to choose from, it is not worth the risk and hassle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.