The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of operating Air Force One

Default Cost of operating Air Force One

Just wondering what the cost are for AFO to operate? I would think with the economy the way it is the Govt. would think about trying to save money instead of traveling to Denver at an estimated 35-40,000 per hour. We have to try to cut costs why should they be flying willy nilly around the country?
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

I don't think it is an issue really, the cost is the same for every POTUS and moving what they do cost money. It is an expence that goes with the office. What is good use vs bad use?? that is a fair question I guess, but it has always been done and I am sure BHO would explaine to you that he is just stimulating the economy
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

this is an estimate for Bush Traveling to Iraq: (from a different site)

Crawfish TX to Andrews AFB: about 4 hours
    Andrews AFB to Saddam International: 10 hours
    on the ground in Baghdad: 2.5 hours
    return to Crawfish via Andrews: 14 hours

About 30.5 hours or $1,227,625 for this photo op.
    Last edited by Richard Halstead; 02-17-2009 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Halstead View Post
    this is an estimate for Bush Traveling to Iraq: (from a different site)

Crawfish TX to Andrews AFB: about 4 hours
    Andrews AFB to Saddam International: 10 hours
    on the ground in Baghdad: 2.5 hours
    return to Crawfish via Andrews: 14 hours

About 30.5 hours or $1,227,625 for this photo op.
    Granted it is a LOT of money but it was a bit more than a photo op. Not sure what date that trip was, but troop moral and to show the world and the Iraqís that the POTUS COULD come to Iraq has to be accounted for. I am not saying this particular trip was a good use of our money, but I canít say it is a bad thing either. It cost money to move and protect the POTUS and his staff or others traveling with him. What alternative do you suggest? Maybe a ship, car to stuff in the continental US? Not sure sitting in the White House gets it done either.
    I donít know enough to really say, but arenít a lot of those costs going to the military and the Secret Service? Some if not most of that other than fuel would be paid to those guys weather they are sitting around or taking care of business. Kind of like firemen, they are getting paid weather they are putting out a fire or sleeping at the station.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

That is not my comment it came from the original poster and I forgot to cut that portion.

It's never cheap, Richard. You do realize that cost is for TWO (2) AFOs. There is always the "dummy" cost as well.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

I know that AFO carries extra expenses but 1.2 million? That just doesnt seem accurate.

What would a commercial flight cost.......perhaps an autoexec plane instead.

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    I know that AFO carries extra expenses but 1.2 million? That just doesnt seem accurate.

What would a commercial flight cost.......perhaps an autoexec plane instead.
    The generally used estimate of costs is over $60,000/hour. This is a bit of a red herring since much of the cost is fixed and would be incurred even if the planes sat on the ground. However, whenever the plane is flown it is accompanied by two cargo planes carrying the Presidential limos and often other planes as well with a total entourage that, at times, can total 1,000 people. When AF-1 is used for political purposes, the party is required to "reimburse" taxpayers for the equivalent of a first class air fare, which a=is a pretty good deal since the challenger is normally forced to lease a plane at much higher cost. Republicans consistently attacked Clinton for his record use of AF-1 for political travel, only to see his records broken by GWB's political uses of the plane. This is an issue that comes up all the time regardless of who is in office (http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...orce-one_x.htm). The reality is that governance and security considerations do not leave the President with the option of traveling cheaply and personally I do not want a President who stays in the White House (or in GWB's case, Texas) too much of the time.

I have no problem with the President, any President of the United States being given the full panoply of privileges that all his predecessors took advantage of including his use of AF1.

subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by YardleyLabs View Post
    The generally used estimate of costs is over $60,000/hour. This is a bit of a red herring since much of the cost is fixed and would be incurred even if the planes sat on the ground. However, whenever the plane is flown it is accompanied by two cargo planes carrying the Presidential limos and often other planes as well with a total entourage that, at times, can total 1,000 people. When AF-1 is used for political purposes, the party is required to "reimburse" taxpayers for the equivalent of a first class air fare, which a=is a pretty good deal since the challenger is normally forced to lease a plane at much higher cost. Republicans consistently attacked Clinton for his record use of AF-1 for political travel, only to see his records broken by GWB's political uses of the plane. This is an issue that comes up all the time regardless of who is in office (http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...orce-one_x.htm). The reality is that governance and security considerations do not leave the President with the option of traveling cheaply and personally I do not want a President who stays in the White House (or in GWB's case, Texas) too much of the time.
    As in GWB case, Texas? Thats cause you don't live here, if you did you would understand .

I've read enough of your post and cked some of your statements, at least enough not to challeng you're facts, but 1 million to fly over there. It would seem smarter to me to put the POTUS on an unidentified Lear Jet, since the Saudis have so many, and fly him in there.

Lear Jet Air Force One which would be safer?