The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Term Limits

Senior Member Vicki Worthington's Avatar

Default Term Limits

The best thing from the voter's perspective that could happen to Washington is Term Limits--maximum 8 year lifetime terms--either consecutive or interrupted--no more than 8 years in either the Senate or the House.

It would deny access to the political fiefdoms currently enjoyed by Washington politicians. It would limit the influence that lobbying could have on a particular politician or even group of politicians.

If you couple that with Line Item Veto, all the pork could be struck out and the substance of the bill that merits enactment implemented.
    Do Something! Lead, Follow, or Get Out of The Way

I've been a big advocate of strict term limits here on RTF since POTUS Place began so, I'm all for it!

It is the only way we will be able to get rid of our career politicians.
    "Well, when I went off to college, the guys I used to hang with were pumping gas and voting Democrat. Today they're still pumping gas and voting Democrat. Guess the Democrats didn't do much for them." Charles Barkley

Wanna get involved?

www.termlimits.org

I've been an advocate of limits ever since Newt's "Contract with America" in the early '90s...it's the one thing he failed at, and I've rubbed his nose in it many times.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki Worthington View Post
    The best thing from the voter's perspective that could happen to Washington is Term Limits--maximum 8 year lifetime terms--either consecutive or interrupted--no more than 8 years in either the Senate or the House.

It would deny access to the political fiefdoms currently enjoyed by Washington politicians. It would limit the influence that lobbying could have on a particular politician or even group of politicians.

If you couple that with Line Item Veto, all the pork could be struck out and the substance of the bill that merits enactment implemented.
    Term limits will not happen though very desirable.

What should happen is - an individuals time in elective office should not count toward any retirement benefits other than SS. Watch them bail then.

When Harry Truman, one of our better POTUS finished his time in office there was no retirement benefits. When he was voted those benefits, his comment was, they are nice but that didn't come with the job.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

We've already got some pretty strict term limits. They're called elections.

I totally get the sentiment and share the frustration with the scaliwags, but I'm anti-term limits for a number of reasons, including:

1. If the framers of the Constitution wanted term limits they would have put them in the requirements for office.
    2. It throws some good politicians out with the bad ones. If I like my representative why shouldn't he continue to represent me in Congress for as long as a majority of voters like him as well?
    3. Term limits remove accountability from the term limitee. You think they suck now, wait until you basically give them a license to steal during their last term knowing full well they will face no accountability from the voters.

OMG, what's the temperature in he11 today. I agree with HEW.

New Mexico has had some very good long term Rep's and Senators from both parties, and it would have been a loss if they were turned out in just a couple of terms.

JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Ditto. Pretty soon Hew will have to learn to read poetry to the sound of bongos.

LOL. Groovy, dudes.

Hew, dude.....
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    New Mexico has had some very good long term Rep's and Senators from both parties, and it would have been a loss if they were turned out in just a couple of terms.

JD
    Pete Domenici, Bob Dole's clone, would be someone you liked.

Saw a good quote today "The only thing you see in the middle of the road is yellow lines & dead skunks". That would fit your esteemed Senator.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!