The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry dog food facts.

Default Dry dog food facts.

Here is a thread to post little known, or commonly overlooked facts about dry dogfood .

I'll start with one .
    How many are aware when a real meat is listed as the number one ingredient in a dry dog food. It is before it is dehidrated .

That means that the second ingredient in its dry form (hopefully it is a meat meal) is more than likely to actually be the number one ingreadient and the meat having been reduced by about 80% with the loss of the water falls way down on the list.

Ok ,what else

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Well, that's what labeling law allows and not necessarily a company's practice. Companies listing ingredients as fed, rather than preprocessing may still choose to call their first ingredient "meat," rather than "meat meal," for marketing purposes, even though it is technically a meal at that point. Though the dog food analist sites will present their reviews of foods based on the worst case allowed by law you've presented, instead of looking at actual practices...
    Last edited by Rick Hall; 02-19-2009 at 07:05 PM.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2012-2013 season log)

I' ve been told that "real meat' after its boiled for a month have little protein and the food will rely on other protein sources. Meat meal...all the yucky parts Tad and Buffy won't eat are a better source of protein.

Disclaimer: That's what I was told and the information presented here to you is free of charge.

Another little known fact about dog food is the misleading process of splitting ingredients on the ingredient list in order make them appear to be a smaller component of the food (Brown rice, white rice, rice, rice bran, rice gluten and rice flour are all parts of the same ingredient rice).

The following is a link to an independent dog food analysis web site that I have found quite useful in understanding and evaluating various dry dog foods. The evaluations all seem pretty objective and informative about the ingredient listing and quality of each food.

Food Reviews: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Assesment Process: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/how-d...the-foods.html
    FCR "Ransom" - Coastalight Toodoggone Much CD MH *** (2012 MN Qualifier and All-Age pointed!)
    FCR "Legend" - Ryvertowns More Than A Memory CD *** (QAA and 2011 FCRSA Field Trial Trophy Winner)
    LAB "Traitor" - All Out Gone to The Dark Side (QAA and Nat'l Derby List)

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    How many are aware when a real meat is listed as the number one ingredient in a dry dog food. It is before it is dehidrated .

john
    Sounds reasonable to me.

When they give nutritional information on the package, is that what you're getting?
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

Quote Originally Posted by All-Out View Post
    Another little known fact about dog food is the misleading process of splitting ingredients on the ingredient list in order make them appear to be a smaller component of the food (Brown rice, white rice, rice, rice bran, rice gluten and rice flour are all parts of the same ingredient rice).

The following is a link to an independent dog food analysis web site that I have found quite useful in understanding and evaluating various dry dog foods. The evaluations all seem pretty objective and informative about the ingredient listing and quality of each food.

Food Reviews: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Assesment Process: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/how-d...the-foods.html
    But, they have differing percentages of protien and fiber. Also some can act as catalysts to promote the utilization of other ingredients. Feed formulation is not a simple matter.

INCOMIIIINNNNGGGGG!!!!!

Lisa
    "Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." - Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets

http://www.chessieinfo.net

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Van Loo View Post
    INCOMIIIINNNNGGGGG!!!!!

Lisa
    Don't touch that tar baby.
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

When one reads the ingredients of a so called premimum food and the first two ingredients are Chicken then Chicken Byproduct Meal then Corn Meal.

What is one to think other than the second ingredient in its dry form , the Chicken Byproduct Meal is actually the number one ingreadient, the meat having been reduced by about 80% with the loss of the water falls way down on the list. So far down in fact that it is not a signaficant source of the proteen percentage listed

Chicken Byproduct Meal has by default become that source. Read the AAFCO definition of this product if you want , but I assure you will not be impressed.

When the third ingredient listed is Corn Meal .....................

Now who can guess the name of this food

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    When one reads the ingredients of a so called premimum food and the first two ingredients are Chicken then Chicken Byproduct Meal then Corn Meal.

What is one to think other than the second ingredient in its dry form , the Chicken Byproduct Meal is actually the number one ingreadient, the meat having been reduced by about 80% with the loss of the water falls way down on the list. So far down in fact that it is not a signaficant source of the proteen percentage listed

Chicken Byproduct Meal has by default become that source. Read the AAFCO definition of this product if you want , but I assure you will not be impressed.

When the third ingredient listed is Corn Meal .....................

Now who can guess the name of this food

john
    I am about to market a dog which has as its first ingredient "cat poop".

I expect I will be able to retire in about a week with my millions. Dogs won't be able to resist it.

Lisa
    "Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." - Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets

http://www.chessieinfo.net