RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Dry dog food facts.

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  MoJo 
#1 ·
Here is a thread to post little known, or commonly overlooked facts about dry dogfood .

I'll start with one .
How many are aware when a real meat is listed as the number one ingredient in a dry dog food. It is before it is dehidrated .

That means that the second ingredient in its dry form (hopefully it is a meat meal) is more than likely to actually be the number one ingreadient and the meat having been reduced by about 80% with the loss of the water falls way down on the list.

Ok ,what else ;-)

john

#2 · (Edited)
Well, that's what labeling law allows and not necessarily a company's practice. Companies listing ingredients as fed, rather than preprocessing may still choose to call their first ingredient "meat," rather than "meat meal," for marketing purposes, even though it is technically a meal at that point. Though the dog food analist sites will present their reviews of foods based on the worst case allowed by law you've presented, instead of looking at actual practices...

#3 ·
I' ve been told that "real meat' after its boiled for a month have little protein and the food will rely on other protein sources. Meat meal...all the yucky parts Tad and Buffy won't eat are a better source of protein.

Disclaimer: That's what I was told and the information presented here to you is free of charge.

#4 ·
Another little known fact about dog food is the misleading process of splitting ingredients on the ingredient list in order make them appear to be a smaller component of the food (Brown rice, white rice, rice, rice bran, rice gluten and rice flour are all parts of the same ingredient – rice).

The following is a link to an independent dog food analysis web site that I have found quite useful in understanding and evaluating various dry dog foods. The evaluations all seem pretty objective and informative about the ingredient listing and quality of each food.

Food Reviews: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Assesment Process: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/how-do-you-rate-the-foods.html

#9 ·
When one reads the ingredients of a so called premimum food and the first two ingredients are Chicken then Chicken Byproduct Meal then Corn Meal.

What is one to think other than the second ingredient in its dry form , the Chicken Byproduct Meal is actually the number one ingreadient, the meat having been reduced by about 80% with the loss of the water falls way down on the list. So far down in fact that it is not a signaficant source of the proteen percentage listed

Chicken Byproduct Meal has by default become that source. Read the AAFCO definition of this product if you want , but I assure you will not be impressed.

When the third ingredient listed is Corn Meal .....................:rolleyes:

Now who can guess the name of this food;-)

john

#16 ·
Bingo we have a winner!
It along with many of the other popular premium performance brands "hawked" on this very Forum have a 1 star rating out of a possible 6.
on the link posted earlier http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

john

#18 ·
I am about to market a dog which has as its first ingredient "cat poop".
Now that is funny, and so very true. I can hear the advertisement now. "Got a picky eater? Try 'FeExcrem' dog food! Your dog will love it. Never again will your dog turn up his nose at dinnertime."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.