The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An Announcement on Genetic Testing and RTF Classifieds

Default An Announcement on Genetic Testing and RTF Classifieds

There's been some interesting dialogue lately regarding RTF's position around minimum requirements necessary for posting of puppies for sale.

At this time, a hip and eye clearance is required for the retriever puppy ads. With time, RTF may take a more firm approach around EIC and CNM as requirements. RTF does not require OFA #'s, CERF #'s, etc. by design. It is the due diligence of the buyer that guarantees these things to be robust and accurate. RTF can never take the place of solid research when one makes a buying decision.

I and RTF does not have the time, nor the desire to become a fact-checker, or any sort of confirmation body that advertised claims by sellers are accurate. RTF can not and will not take on that sort of liability position. Buyers and sellers are responsible for making good on their commitments.

If users are abusing RTF, by posting false/fraudulent information, we do want to know this. Folks should not have the privelege of using RTF to reach other retriever enthusiasts if they are cheating and stealing. I want RTF to be no part of any such fraudulent activities and will strive to keep those abusers off the board. (and yes, we have had a couple deadbeats over the years who have unfortunately "stolen" from others on here and are now gone.)

RTF does not prohibit any seller from advertising positive points, such as genetic clearances, including, but not limited to CNM/EIC clearances. The smart advertiser puts this information out there to differentiate their pups from other ads.

Please do not begrudge RTF when an advertister may be not as forthcoming with information that suits your tastes. RTF will never be a one-size-fits-all resource. If you find that a seller is not being forthcoming with information, please do not begrudge me, Vicky, or anyone else on RTF for not making it easier for you to find the perfect puppy.

We recently had one complaintant who had very high expectations of RTF and the kinds of checks and balances, and efforts that we would put forth towards the integrity, accuracy, and inclusiveness of all clearances possible. I hope that most of you will realize that the classifieds are a free service from which we hope you all gain some value.

For anyone falsifying claims, advertising clearances that don't exist, promising to send merchandise after depositing checks that never get sent, etc.:
    ...your ads can and will be deleted and your ability to post on RTF can and will be eliminated.

Feel free to contact me with any questions. Please do not begrudge me for not making your attempts to find EIC and CNM clearances on advertised dogs easier to get. There are sellers out there happy to differentiate their pups/dogs with these clearances and will readily provide them. If someone's not responding to your inquiries according to your expectations or timeline....move on! There are lots of other puppies out there....many of which are right here on RTF classifieds!

Thanks for reading. Thanks for making RTF what it is.

And for those of you about to hear a certain complaintant tell you what a crummy attitude I have about EIC and CNM, you will now understand where I stand. If you disagree, I apologize. Can't satisfy everyone I guess.

I'm just happy to still have a day job in this economy and kinda have to spend a good chunk of time doing that instead of tracking down EIC clearances for John Doe so that he finds his buddy the best puppy and doesn't look bad.

Honestly, I'm kind of scratching my head a bit, wondering what some folks think I'm supposed to do to clear the world of genetic defects thru RTF. "Irresponsible" is not a way that I like to be described with regards to my efforts around RTF.

Chris

P.S. if I were buying my perfect puppy, he/she would have both parents: OFA/CERF, EIC CLEAR, CNM CLEAR, National Titles on both parents...all clearance numbers would be posted and available on public websites.

Good job Chris.
    Provide a place and set minimum standards. Beyond that people need to check into any littler they are interested in. When you buy a car out of the paper or anywhere else you don;t just take what is said in the ad as fact, you go look and kick the tires......
    Great service, thanks
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I bought my puppy through an ad on RTF. I liked the pedigree, both parents had clearances. I couldn't be happier with my dog.

Chris, I can never thank you enough for that. If it weren't for you and RTF I'd probably have another BYB dog.
    Terry Moseley
    Bad Motor Scooter SH

He that tooteth not his own horn...The same shall not be tooted.

There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

It appears the law of unrealistic expectations has reared its ugly head on yet another Internet BB.

Chris, I think RTF is a great resource.

Thanks for owning it, moderating it and allowing me to use it.

Joe Miano
    subroc

Article [I.]
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Article [II.]
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Leddyman View Post
    I bought my puppy through an ad on RTF. I liked the pedigree, both parents had clearances. I couldn't be happier with my dog.

Chris, I can never thank you enough for that. If it weren't for you and RTF I'd probably have another BYB dog.
    I too bought my pup through an ad here on RTF. I couldn't be happier with the pup or the way the transaction went through.

I too would like to thank Chris and all those that make RTF the valuable resource that it is!!

Rick Curtis
    Rick Curtis ~ Now in Ontario, CA

Little Man Caught It On The River SH ~ "Ace"

Handlers Handle, Dogs Dog, Judges Judge

"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr

I would like to add that I have seen more than one advertisement for litters claiming that one or the other parent has been tested EIC clear and neither have. Please do your homework. Results on OFA are monitored, but we can't and won't police this or any other website that is claiming EIC clearances in their advertisements.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie Minor View Post
    I would like to add that I have seen more than one advertisement for litters claiming that one or the other parent has been tested EIC clear and neither have. Please do your homework. Results on OFA are monitored, but we can't and won't police this or any other website that is claiming EIC clearances in their advertisements.
    So when you do see a litter claiming a clear parent but you know they aren't, are they just not tested according to your database or are they tested but lying about carrier/affected status? I've come across one with no supporting paperwork blaming the other dog in a carrier litter claiming their dog is clear. Bottom line, no paperwork or not someone I know/trust, not taking anyone's word for it, it's still a buyer beware issue. Amazing what people try to get away with considering the repercussions.

Chris goes far beyond any other site as far as ad requirements and sleezy operators, shame to hear there are those that want him to do their work in researching a litter or dog.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

I think Chris should require all litters to be sold on LR....

NOT!

Gotcha!!!!

seriously Chris, thanks for all you do. We all appreciate it!

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Let me be the first to offer my services as a "Clearance Investigator". I will wade through all those pesky websites, call and obtain certificates from owners of sire and dams, and call on people who may have bought pups from sire and dam in the past in regard to other health related issues that current litter may have. My fees are:
    Hourly rate of $100 per hour up to 5 hours of research for Hips, Elbows, Eyes (including PRA), EIC and CNM, OSD/RD, and DM if needed. If more then 5 hrs is needed, fee will be reduced to just $95 for each additional hour!
    If you are wanting research into littermates, siblings, and other extended family, cancers, longevity, productivity, training ability, and testing record, you may want to up grade to the "Premium Litter Search" package for a low low price of only $1500. But wait, there's more! I will also throw in a Sham-Wow for free (you pay for just shipping and handling, which is $19.99).
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Quote Originally Posted by firehouselabs View Post
    Let me be the first to offer my services as a "Clearance Investigator". I will wade through all those pesky websites, call and obtain certificates from owners of sire and dams, and call on people who may have bought pups from sire and dam in the past in regard to other health related issues that current litter may have. My fees are:
    Hourly rate of $100 per hour up to 5 hours of research for Hips, Elbows, Eyes (including PRA), EIC and CNM, OSD/RD, and DM if needed. If more then 5 hrs is needed, fee will be reduced to just $95 for each additional hour!
    If you are wanting research into littermates, siblings, and other extended family, cancers, longevity, productivity, training ability, and testing record, you may want to up grade to the "Premium Litter Search" package for a low low price of only $1500. But wait, there's more! I will also throw in a Sham-Wow for free (you pay for just shipping and handling, which is $19.99).
    LOL! This is especially funny because I really like my Sham-wows, lol!
    ~Darcy Litzinger~
    Kinderwood Labradors
    BOB AKC CH ptd/BOB UKC CH/RBISP Intl/Nat Jugend CH Hayshaker's Kinderwood Charmed One CGC "Piper"
    AKC BOBP/UKC CH PTD Hayshaker Kinderwood Where R U Xmas "Faith"

Gone too soon...
    HIT UCD Intl/Nat CH ptd/UKC CH ptd Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10...love you, "baby girl"!