The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: An Announcement on Genetic Testing and RTF Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Katie Minor View Post
    I would like to add that I have seen more than one advertisement for litters claiming that one or the other parent has been tested EIC clear and neither have. Please do your homework. Results on OFA are monitored, but we can't and won't police this or any other website that is claiming EIC clearances in their advertisements.
    Le caveat emptor, Ms. Minor....

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Some people need to have everything handed to them on a platter. How sad Chris should have to take the heat from someone that can't take the responsibility for his own research and decisions.

Chris, thank you for all you do to keep this board going.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Quote Originally Posted by firehouselabs View Post
    Let me be the first to offer my services as a "Clearance Investigator". I will wade through all those pesky websites, call and obtain certificates from owners of sire and dams, and call on people who may have bought pups from sire and dam in the past in regard to other health related issues that current litter may have. My fees are:
    Hourly rate of $100 per hour up to 5 hours of research for Hips, Elbows, Eyes (including PRA), EIC and CNM, OSD/RD, and DM if needed. If more then 5 hrs is needed, fee will be reduced to just $95 for each additional hour!
    If you are wanting research into littermates, siblings, and other extended family, cancers, longevity, productivity, training ability, and testing record, you may want to up grade to the "Premium Litter Search" package for a low low price of only $1500. But wait, there's more! I will also throw in a Sham-Wow for free (you pay for just shipping and handling, which is $19.99).
    So what is your minimum of hours that must be paid for?
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    CH. Justa Gingersnap CGC - Ginger Shiba Inu

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

I've got a wonderful young dog I bought off the RTF Classified. I wouldn't have known about the litter with out it. Thand you!!! Yes, he has a long list of Great Names behind him and clearances to boot. A little research is needed, but that is half the fun.

Chris,
    Thanks for all you do. I'm going to pick up a pup from an add on here this weekend. After the call you made to me the other day shows you are top notch in my book!

Dave

Don't get discouraged Chris. Keep up the good work. Thanks.
    Runs Creek Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Sweet Virginia Breeze - 1000 Pt Club
    HRCH UH Runs Creek's Meant To Be - 500 Pt Club
    HRCH UH Runs Creek's Show Me The Money - 500 Pt. Club
    Runs Creek's Fiddle of Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Honestly, I'm kind of scratching my head a bit, wondering what some folks think I'm supposed to do to clear the world of genetic defects thru RTF. "Irresponsible" is not a way that I like to be described with regards to my efforts around RTF.

Chris
    Chris if you let it slip ever so casual like in the chat room who called you irresponsible and we will put an internet virtual smack down on um so bad they will wish they were still living in their parents basement typing on a commodore 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

My FC AFC Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog, Bam, was bought as an 8 week old puppy from an add on the RTF.

Thanks Chris for having the RTF.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    So when you do see a litter claiming a clear parent but you know they aren't, are they just not tested according to your database or are they tested but lying about carrier/affected status?
    For the ones I'm aware of, the dogs have not been tested.

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by RunsCreek View Post
    Don't get discouraged Chris. Keep up the good work. Thanks.

It's hard not to get discouraged at times, especially when you are sent PMs derogating a resource you have provided free of charge for the retriever community, as well as spent many hours trying to "play janitor" as in the case with Chris, or for myself, as Moderator, getting replies from people that are ticked off because their classified ad has been deleted because it does not follow the posted guidelines or their duplicate ads have been combined.

In regard to the Classified forums, I have "form letters" which are sent via PMs to users that don't follow the guidelines by not including "required" information or posting duplicate (sometimes even triplicate) ads. If everyone that posts an ad in the Classified forums would take just a minute or two to read the Stickys at the top of the forums which explain the guidelines for posting (and then follow the guidelines), the Classifieds could run very smoothly. Most of the forums are set up so that the ads are deleted after 60 days. If everyone would take the time to post that their item/litter/dog was sold, that would be a big help also. I do try to check all of the Classified forums once a day to make sure the few guidelines that Chris has in place are being followed.

For me, helping Chris as a Moderator on RTF, is just another way to give back to the sport and dogs I love so much. Chris has said to me many times after a problem has come up that he would understand if I ever wanted to quit. It's those times I find myself thinking of my signature line regarding "slinkies" and say to Chris "It's all good."

Thanks to those of you that alert us when the occasional spam is posted or there is a thread that might need to be monitored. With busy lives, it's not always possible to read each and every post

Hey Chris......"it's all good!"
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"