The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labrador Health Insurance

Default Labrador Health Insurance

Just got a call from a hunting buddy/training partner. Apparently his 15 month BLF cut a web on her foot two weeks ago and needed stitches ($700.00) and last week tore her ACL ($2000.00) and is going to miss the next 6 months of training and derbies. This got me thinking about pet insurance. What are people using these days. I'm thinking about getting it for my 12 month BLF.
    D.J. Province
    Ebonstar Over Moon River JH

I use AKC pethealthcare, I went with it because they also cover a year of Heatworm and flea prevention. There hasn't been a single thing they havent paid me for yet, all shot and visits have been repaid in about 2 weeks. My emergency visit when my pup was 12weeks for a borken foot was paid in full even though I was on the free trial the AKC offers when you register a dog. Well worth it to me.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

VPI and AKC are the most common ones used by my clients and I have heard no complaints on either one

VPI. I'm sure they wish that one of my dogs were dead, but they keep paying.

On a young one I had with cancer, they even reimbursed me for his eventual euthanasia.

I have the Superior Policy, but found that the "wellness plan" was never with the extra premium.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Isisisthename View Post
    I use AKC pethealthcare, I went with it because they also cover a year of Heatworm and flea prevention. There hasn't been a single thing they havent paid me for yet, all shot and visits have been repaid in about 2 weeks. My emergency visit when my pup was 12weeks for a borken foot was paid in full even though I was on the free trial the AKC offers when you register a dog. Well worth it to me.
    Can you use any vet you want with AKC's insurance?

what is the cost of insuring a dog with either plan? are there deductibles involved? thanks in advance.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    what is the cost of insuring a dog with either plan? are there deductibles involved? thanks in advance.-Paul
    Petplan was rated high. I paid $256 for the Gold plan for a year, $200 deductible, 80%, $20K, $1000 death.
    I did it for the big problems, not the everyday stuff.
    https://secure.gopetplan.com/pet/quickquote1.aspx
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

I have Petplan also. In the report I read, it was the highest rated pet insurance.

Buck

Quote Originally Posted by kbobbjr View Post
    Can you use any vet you want with AKC's insurance?
    Yes any vet you want. There are some costs that my vet overcharges for, that i only got reimbursed 95% for. For example one of my several xrays was lets say 135 the insurance says it should only cost 127 so that is what they paid me for.

Pretty simple take a form when you go to the vet, the vet signs saying what was done, you get a reciept and then submit claim and they pay usually within 2 weeks.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

Oh since I missed it, my deductible is 100 dollars per year, but does not count for the flea and tick stuff or the heartguard, so those are paid no matter what. But after the first 100 they have paid me for everything.