The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mechanics--Chrysler won't start gdg

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Default Mechanics--Chrysler won't start gdg

Daughter has a 1999 Chrysler car. Considering how she treats it, it has served her very well. However, recently it has an issue with starting. It picks and chooses when it will start and acts like it isn't getting any fuel. Turns over just fine, so doesn't appear to be the starter or the battery.

For example, it would not start on Thurs after work, wouldn't start last night at 10 p.m., started at 8 a.m. today without issue.

A local mechanic replaced a part that controls the amt of gas/air that goes to the engine. That didn't fix it. He won't take any money for the repairs he did since he didn't fix it, and doesn't know where to look next.

Any ideas? She is car shopping this wkend, but would be nice if this could be fixed. Maybe electric issue??
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

Quote Originally Posted by HiRollerlabs View Post
    Daughter has a 1999 Chrysler car. Considering how she treats it, it has served her very well. However, recently it has an issue with starting. It picks and chooses when it will start and acts like it isn't getting any fuel. Turns over just fine, so doesn't appear to be the starter or the battery.

For example, it would not start on Thurs after work, wouldn't start last night at 10 p.m., started at 8 a.m. today without issue.

A local mechanic replaced a part that controls the amt of gas/air that goes to the engine. That didn't fix it. He won't take any money for the repairs he did since he didn't fix it, and doesn't know where to look next.

Any ideas? She is car shopping this wkend, but would be nice if this could be fixed. Maybe electric issue??
    I suspect a cam position sensor. Just replaced that on a 2003 Stratus. Does the mechanic have a scope? It should show up as 1 of 2 possible error codes. 9 out of 1 it's the cam position sensor.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Could be the fuel pump. I don't have any experience with Chryslers, but I had a couple of Chevy's that did almost exactly what you are saying. Good luck.

Mechanic ran it for error codes and nothing showed up. I'll call him and pose the cam position sensor and the fuel pump ideas. This has been going on for about 3 weeks now. This car even started when it was -38 and it isn't garaged so overall it's been a good car. It has happened while at the mechanics place, and that is when he replaced the fuel/air flow "thing". THANKS!
    Last edited by HiRollerlabs; 02-27-2009 at 12:22 PM.
    Bob/Ann Heise

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

I assume he checked the basics, fuel, air, spark. Cam sensors are common but, it does sound similar to a problem I had with my Civic. I lost the gas cap and put on a cheapo non vented cap. I started having problems getting it started until I thought about the cap.

I was getting vapor lock. It would come and go. Sometimes I would have to sit for 5-10 minutes before it would start. Put on a higher quality vented gas cap /OEM replacement and I haven't had any problems since then....also replaced the fuel filter which was nearly clogged.....just an idea....

Quote Originally Posted by CBR KAIE View Post
    I assume he checked the basics, fuel, air, spark. Cam sensors are common but, it does sound similar to a problem I had with my Civic. I lost the gas cap and put on a cheapo non vented cap. I started having problems getting it started until I thought about the cap.

I was getting vapor lock. It would come and go. Sometimes I would have to sit for 5-10 minutes before it would start. Put on a higher quality vented gas cap /OEM replacement and I haven't had any problems since then....also replaced the fuel filter which was nearly clogged.....just an idea....
    He's a good mechanic and amazingly honest. I'll ask about the basics, and will see if my daughter replaced the gas cap. thanks!
    Bob/Ann Heise

fuel pump problems come and go and don't show up on a scan.alot of times they will have a no start problem but when they go to the repair shop they start fine.

it might be a fusable link or a loose ground wire it happened on my dodge truck

Ann This one is for Click and Clack. Is there spark at the spark plug when it doesn't start?
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Zeus,

Don't know about spark at spark plug. Would hope that the mechanic checked that. It turned over great, just would not catch. I asked if she'd replaced the gas cap--No.

I do wonder if it's something to do with vacuum. Daughter says she has always had a hard time putting gas in the tank--had to position the pump handle at an angle to allow vapors to escape. And, this all started when she ran it out of gas. Isn't the fuel pump inside the gas tank on most of the cars? I asked her if it only happened when the tank was low, or happened even when tank was full--but haven't followed up.

She's going to boost the economy and trade it in. Ann
    Last edited by HiRollerlabs; 03-06-2009 at 11:04 AM.
    Bob/Ann Heise