The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split Claw

Default Split Claw

What do you do for a split claw? We were at an hrc test yesterday, and as I was walking Missy, she jumped and let out a yelp. I looked her over, at first thinking a snake got her. The only thing I found was a broken root sticking up and no noticeable scraps, etc. We went on and she was fine. After the test, I had her in the car getting ready to leave and notices a piece of shredded bark hanging from her foot. I pulled on it, thinking it would come of and it didn't. Upon closer examination, she had split her claw and shredded the root. I was stuck in the split in her claw. Got it out, and when I got home gave her a bath and cleaned area well. No blood, just split at this time. I thought I'd trim it as much as possible, but don't think I can go as low as the split goes. What next??

HRCH Missy SH

PS She is in her Master Test this week end. If she passes, she will title. I really do not want to scratch this test!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive got a dog that loves to dig esspecially when I take her to my folks house. About once a year she manages to split the nail back up towards her foot. Usually I just have the vet trim it back as far as they can, then all that you can do is wait. It usually slows her down for a couple of days but she still gets around. You may just see how the dog reacts to some short marks, youll know pretty quick if shes ok to finish the test.
    jim

Sometimes you can super glue a split nail.

I guess the thing to do would be to use Vet Bond but seeing you can't get that or probably EMT gel, which I'm not sure would work, I would just use superglue after soaking it in betadine.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Kristie Wilder

Hey there,

If you really want her to run, go to the vet and have them take a look at it. If it's split way back, you risk infection.

Typically, you trim it back as far as you can and put the dog on antibiotics and keep them off it for a bit, while keeping the area clean as it heals.

That's why I'd go to the vet... To get what you need so she can run next weekend. Nails heal QUICKLY. So you may be in luck. It's just that you may want some antibiotics...

If it wasn't bleeding, it may not be a problem. But again, there's a risk... So go see a vet if you can.

-K

Thanks for the reply's, I pm'ed several of you. I was going to use a dremel and sand it back, but perhaps I should be safe and call the vet tomorrow first.

HRCH Missy SH

My lab had done this the past 2 hunting seasons. Both times have required a trip to the vet to cut it back to the split and cauterize(sp?) and a break of at least 10 days. This year, he split it and we kept hunting him and this was a big mistake. He ended up losing the whole nail which will never grow back and didnt get to hunt for a couple of weeks. My advice would be to definitaly take the dog to the vet and get an opinion there b/c left untreated, these things can get infected and make for more downtime/costly procedures.

Same thing happened to mine. Took him to Dr Becky and it was not split all the way so we trimmed and let it grow back. Get the vet opinion.
    Tom Dorroh

Well, thanks for all the responses in this thread and pms. I took Missy to the vet this morning. He told me he felt that I had done a good job sealing it with super glue and trimming it about as far as I could without sedation. He did not think we needed to trim and more, but told me to watch it. There is nothing sticking out of it, now that it is sealed to catch anything on. He did say it may be a good idea to put one more layer of super glue on it to make sure.
    He gave me Cephalexin 500 mg to give to her twice a day. 20 pills in all.
    Said it is the first time he as seen a split like that and cause by that but also said after 25 years of being a vet, nothing surprises him anymore.

Again, thanks for the advice. I think I did the right thing by taking her in, if nothing else, to get the pills. Even if it did cost 65 bucks.

HRCH Missy SH soon to be MH!!!!!!!!!!!

what about the possibility of using those nail covers that keep floors from getting scratched up?

Juli
    God answers prayers all the time. Even the ones we don't know we asked. God is Good (always)

"There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as though everything is a miracle."

- Albert Einstein