The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obomo appoints yet another TAX CHEAT

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    The only part of this that troubles me (10K in back taxes is a pittance for someone with his income) is why would a high profile ATTORNEY who is a politician and who makes lots of money not have a CPA go over his return with a fine tooth comb?????......
    He claims he did, and that the CPA erred.
    The United States Imports 70% of Our Oil.
    What's the Plan?

Here is the entire article from the Alaska Daily News.

http://www.adn.com/palin/story/693695.html

Here are some of the points.

1) This is a new decision by state officials. It sounds like many of the employees of the state were recieving these payments and not paying taxes, because the state was not counting it as taxable income.

2) The article is dated 2/17, I don't know if the taxes are paid or not. Daschle knew about his bill last summer, but didn't pay until he was offered a job in the administration. I believe that Geithner was told several years ago that he needed to pay the taxes. And Kirk owes taxes from earlier in the decade.

3) Other state employees owe taxes for travel payments and will be getting revised tax forms.

4) This all came about at the request of the Gov.
    "Last fall we raised questions about longstanding practices within the
    Department of Administration regarding tax treatment of per diem
    payments," Kreitzer wrote in an exchange of e-mails over the past few
    days with the Daily News.

"At the Governor's request, we reviewed the situation to determine
    whether we were in full compliance with the pertinent Internal Revenue
    Service regulations," Kreitzer wrote. "As a result of this review, we
    determined that per diem needs to be treated as income, requiring a
    revision of W-2 forms for any affected employees."

Quote Originally Posted by TCFarmer View Post

1) This is a new decision by state officials. It sounds like many of the employees of the state were recieving these payments and not paying taxes, because the state was not counting it as taxable income.

2) The article is dated 2/17, I don't know if the taxes are paid or not. Daschle knew about his bill last summer, but didn't pay until he was offered a job in the administration. I believe that Geithner was told several years ago that he needed to pay the taxes. And Kirk owes taxes from earlier in the decade.

3) Other state employees owe taxes for travel payments and will be getting revised tax forms.

Please stop trying to convulute everything with FACTS!!
    That's not fair!!
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by TCFarmer View Post

A 'new decision' yes, but not a 'new rule'. Essentially they looked at the existing rules and said "yep, she owes back taxes".

In Palin's instance, as with the others, it comes down to whether you think it was done on purpose, or whether they just screwed up because the tax rules are so complex.

It's a political rorschach test.
    What's the Plan?

Quote Originally Posted by backpasture View Post
    Still more concerned about who is making the argument than the merits of the arguments themselves?
    Both. Polls don't impress me. A man willing to use his name while "arguing" for a man he believe in DOES.

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

I'm pointing out that the conclusion reached by the original poster here was:
    a. Our President likes tax cheats
    b. Our President has a staff that is incompetent and incapable of properly vetting a candidate
    or
    c. Democrats in general don't pay taxes

In reality, I think is is mostly a case of:
    e. The tax code is so complex, most of us can't understand it and may likely be tax cheats, ourselves
    and
    f. People in general cheat on their taxes, and the more money you make, the more money you are cheating the IRS out of.

And this is how you do that? Below was your post. If the above was your intention, this is an interesting way to make the point. You may want to dumb it down some because I don't have the deductive skills to make the connection. I was under the mistaken assumption that you were defending the numerous tax issues of Obama appointees by pointing out that Sarah Palin is required to pay back taxes after in investigation that she initiated determined that she owes money. My bad. I'm sure you are just as concerned as the rest of us that a high percentage of recent political appointees have for one reason or another not paid their full share of taxes until they found themselves in the spotlight. You might be a liberal, but I can't imagine that you would simply overlook this seeming trend because you believe that "people in general cheat on their taxes" or because tax problems are a "bipartisan issue".

"Just a friendly reminder that tax problems are a bipartisan issue:

Gov. Sarah Palin to pay back taxes
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/poli...ry/909156.html

Those in glass houses...."

For the record, I don't cheat on my taxes and I don't live in a glass house. I hold myself to a high standard of ethics and integrity and I demand the same from our "leaders". People who excuse a lack of personal integrity in our elected or appointed officials for any reason disgust me and are the reason this country is in the condition it is in. I don't care if you are liberal or conservative, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Independent, Tory or Whig, if you start making excuses for unethical behavior for "your guys" for political reasons, you are one step away from treason in my opinion.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    This isn't exactly a tax cheat. This guy accepted bribes.

Eric

Buildings sprang up as donations rained down on Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrion
    BY Benjamin Lesser and Greg B. Smith
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Updated Sunday, March 1st 2009, 1:35 PM

The man who is President Obama's newly minted urban czar pocketed thousands of dollars in campaign cash from city developers whose projects he approved or funded with taxpayers' money, a Daily News probe found.

Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrion often received contributions just before or after he sponsored money for projects or approved important zoning changes, records show.
    Ahhhh....the plot thickens. Wonder if he got his start as a "community organizer?"

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Hookset View Post
    You may want to dumb it down some because I don't have the deductive skills to make the connection.
    I'll try harder to do that next time.
    What's the Plan?

Criminals tend to run in packs.

I'll try harder to do that next time.
    There will be no next time. I'll no longer attempt to engage you in any type of discourse. You've proven yourself either incapable or unwilling to have a reasonable conversation about the issues. There are those here (Jeff and Joe S. for example) who fall left of me on most political issues, but have the ability to present thier arguments in a respectful and thoughtful manner. I usually enjoy reading their positions on matters political, even though I often find myself in disagreement. I suspect that both of them are men of character and I would probably enjoy spending time in a duck blind or training dogs with either of them.
    I get a very different feeling about you based on your posts here. Your unwillingness to claim your drivel by posting your real name should have been a red flag, but I'm often too willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt. My policy has always been to treat everyone with respect until they prove themselves unworthy of my respect. I believe we have reached that point here. We need to have no further interaction.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford