The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding a dog thru a pedigree?

Banned

Default Finding a dog thru a pedigree?

Here is my question, I had a female lab, about ten years she had her one and only litter, since we were moving at the time i did not keep any of the pups, and as far as I know of the three that survived birthing only one was alive one year latter. I have lost the contact information of the guy that bought the remaining surviver. Can I trace this dog by her registration papers? I would love to find the owner and see if they ever bred her and see if I can find a pup from my old female's line.

You "might" be able to get owner name and address from AKC IF you can remember your girl's registered name. They wouldn't even tell me the number of pups registered in a litter that my female had prior to me owning her (the guy couldn't remember how many or how many lived except that he lost a few).
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

Quote Originally Posted by Free Range View Post
    Here is my question, I had a female lab, about ten years she had her one and only litter, since we were moving at the time i did not keep any of the pups, and as far as I know of the three that survived birthing only one was alive one year latter. I have lost the contact information of the guy that bought the remaining surviver. Can I trace this dog by her registration papers? I would love to find the owner and see if they ever bred her and see if I can find a pup from my old female's line.
    Free Range,

Maybe there's a reason many breeders are turned off by those whose first question is "how much do you want for a puppy?" Those who are looking for a bargain might not be willing to invest the time and effort to train a pup and keep him safe. Only one pup out of three alive after one year?

Concerning contacting the AKC I don't know if they'd give out that information or not. However, I do know that as the "Breeder" of the litter YOU are required to keep information about those who you sold the puppies to. So, you might be in hot water with the AKC depending on how long ago the pup was sold.

Not trying to give you a hard time. Just giving you a view into a "nother world".

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Quote Originally Posted by Swack View Post
    Free Range,

Maybe there's a reason many breeders are turned off by those whose first question is "how much do you want for a puppy?" Those who are looking for a bargain might not be willing to invest the time and effort to train a pup and keep him safe. Only one pup out of three alive after one year?

Concerning contacting the AKC I don't know if they'd give out that information or not. However, I do know that as the "Breeder" of the litter YOU are required to keep information about those who you sold the puppies to. So, you might be in hot water with the AKC depending on how long ago the pup was sold.

Not trying to give you a hard time. Just giving you a view into a "nother world".

Swack
    Free Range, I welcome you to RTF.

I concur with Swack on this 100%.

I got the idea from your original thread and posting that bloodline was not that big a deal and that it was over-rated. You really just wanted a decent dog at a decent price.

This new topic now seems like you do care about bloodline, but your documentation of your breeding and sales may not be too robust.

Good luck finding the pup you seek.

Welcome to RTF.

If you came here to find breeders who throw a male and female together for a week to "let nature take its course", you probably did come to the wrong place.

If you came here to find folks who do selective breedings with some intent, some science, some planning....you may be at the right place.

Chris

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Swack View Post
    Free Range,

Swack
    One of the three died at the stud owners house, he accidentally ran it over, the other I don't remember what happened to it, but it was at the new owners house. and the third, was still alive last I heard. So you can KMA with your insinuation that I don't know how to take care of a pup, and I did a pretty good job of training my female, she never lost a duck I killed that I can remember. This is exactly why people dislike field trial people they think they are the only ones that know anything about dogs.

It was twelve years ago, I'm real worried if I'm in hot water with them, my guess is they are a bunch of snobs like yourself.

One of the three died at the stud owners house, he accidentally ran it over, the other I don't remember what happened to it, but it was at the new owners house. and the third, was still alive last I heard. So you can KMA with your insinuation that I don't know how to take care of a pup, and I did a pretty good job of training my female, she never lost a duck I killed that I can remember. This is exactly why people dislike field trial people they think they are the only ones that know anything about dogs.

It was twelve years ago, I'm real worried if I'm in hot water with them, my guess is they are a bunch of snobs like yourself.

Free Range,

I have welcomed you to RTF. I am now asking you to knock it off.

This was uncalled for.

217-454-0361 is my real phone number. Chris Atkinson is my real name. Jeff Swackhammer posts under his real name as well and does not deserve that sort of response.

Please decide what sort of value you want out of RTF as a resource.

You are welcome here if you want to use it right.

If you don't want to use it right, that's fine too.

It is totally your call.

Happy New Year and good luck finding the pup you desire, be it your own lost bloodlines from the sole-survivor of that lineage, or something new that you can find at the right price.

Chris Atkinson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Free Range, I welcome you to RTF.

I concur with Swack on this 100%.

I got the idea from your original thread and posting that bloodline was not that big a deal and that it was over-rated. You really just wanted a decent dog at a decent price.

This new topic now seems like you do care about bloodline, but your documentation of your breeding and sales may not be too robust.

Good luck finding the pup you seek.

Welcome to RTF.

If you came here to find breeders who throw a male and female together for a week to "let nature take its course", you probably did come to the wrong place.

If you came here to find folks who do selective breedings with some intent, some science, some planning....you may be at the right place.

Chris
    Don't know what gave you any idea I don't care about breeding. Are you saying only people that don't care about cost care about breeding? Man you guys a real pieces of work. I care about this because she was my dog, and would love to have a pup with some connection to her. Must be a lot of silver spoon guys here, I'm happy for all of you that didn't have to consider the price of any of your dogs, just go out and buy the very best dog you can find to start your kennel. I have nothing against money or those that have it. I don't care much for those that look down on those of us without the same means though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Free Range,

I have welcomed you to RTF. I am now asking you to knock it off.

This was uncalled for.

217-454-0361 is my real phone number. Chris Atkinson is my real name. Jeff Swackhammer posts under his real name as well and does not deserve that sort of response.

Please decide what sort of value you want out of RTF as a resource.

You are welcome here if you want to use it right.

If you don't want to use it right, that's fine too.

It is totally your call.

Happy New Year and good luck finding the pup you desire, be it your own lost bloodlines from the sole-survivor of that lineage, or something new that you can find at the right price.

Chris Atkinson
    I will have some respect for what you just posted if you would do the same for the guy that insinuated I have no business owning a dog.

If I recall correctly, Jeff is a hunter, who runs a few hunt tests, not a Field Trialer. I know he is fairly new to RTF (a year maybe), so you are making some incorrect generalizations about him.
    -=#David

Well, this started off as a really interesting thread. Too bad we couldn't keep it that way. (Rick_C 2009, Classic RTF)
    __________________________________________________ _
    Take what you get and thank them (the Judges) afterwards no matter what the outcome. (Moira Sheehan)

Don't know what gave you any idea I don't care about breeding. Are you saying only people that don't care about cost care about breeding? Man you guys a real pieces of work. I care about this because she was my dog, and would love to have a pup with some connection to her. Must be a lot of silver spoon guys here, I'm happy for all of you that didn't have to consider the price of any of your dogs, just go out and buy the very best dog you can find to start your kennel. I have nothing against money or those that have it. I don't care much for those that look down on those of us without the same means though.
    Here is what you wrote:

Again thanks for all the replies, most have been very courteous and very informative. One thing I have learned for sure is this FT retriever game is a whole nother world. I have owned a dog for all my life except for three years while we lived in Hawaii when I was six-eight years old. Had and bred Beagles for 10-15 years and have had numerous different breeds of bird dogs, have whelped many litters and have never had any expense other than paying the stud owner cash or a pup. No preg testing or hormone testing or AI, just put the two dogs together for a week and let nature take it's course. Sounds to me like one thing a lot of you breeders are overlooking in your breeding program is ease of breeding, why on earth would you continue to breed dogs that have to go thru some much rig-a-ma-row to get pregnant and deliver a litter? The Female lab I had, had a ruff time delivering her first litter, so I never bred her again, seemed like the right thing to do to me.
    Wow, we're kind of running off the rails here FR. You came in here to express criticism of classifieds for not listing price. You've kind of bounced around from there, with a general theme of painting many folks who use this resource with a "snob" brush. Nobody has criticized you at all for your income level, your tax bracket, or your intended end-use for your own retriever.

If you thought you had done a nice breeding and you wanted a puppy in the future, you could have kept records of who you sold your dog to. This has nothing to do with income, with snobbishness, or any other economic or social concern.

I'm welcoming you to RTF one final time.

You are welcome here to use the resource right. If you choose not to, you are welcome to not use it. It is totally your call.

You know who I am and how to reach me.

Good luck finding your pup.

Chris